Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Metzeler Tire Mounting and Red Dot

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 03:40 PM
djbiker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metzeler Tire Mounting and Red Dot

I searched the net and the forum and found opposing answers to my question, is the red dot the light side or the heavy side of the tire? I decided to write the manufacturer and here is their answer...

WHEEL BALANCING

Always balance each tire and wheel assembly upon installation. Unbalanced tire/wheel assemblies can vibrate at various speeds, resulting in accelerated tire wear. Metzeler Street / dual purpose tires should be installed with the sidewall red dot(s) at the air valve if present. However these red dot(s) are designed to be used as a reference in balancing and we suggest balancing the tire and wheel as an assembly and to use the least amount of weight possible. This means that moving the reds dots 45 or even 90 degrees from the valve stem to help the assembly use less weight is possible and best.

Metzeler does not recommend the use of liquid balancer, liquid balance/sealers, or any other balance materials. Metzeler will not extend any warranty consideration for tires which have been injected with any type of liquid balancer, liquid balance/sealers, or any other balance materials. Tire and wheel assemblies should be balanced on a computer or static balance stand. Please check with your dealer/wheel manufacturer for the correct wheel weights for each application.

OTHER MOUNTING TIPS

(1) Check for directional arrow on tire. If present, mount tire so that arrow points in direction of rotation.

(2) Mount tire on rim with the valve stem beside the red(s) dot. If red(s) dot is not marked on the sidewall of the tire (indicating the lightest point) the tire may be positioned at any point on the rim.

(3) Clean and lubricate bead with tire mounting lubricant or soapy water. Always clean rim of all foreign matter. To seat bead, remove valve stem core and inflate tire.

(4) Do not inflate to more than 40 psi pressure to seat beads. Check bead control lines for proper seating. Never stand, lean or reach over the assembly during inflation as serious injury could result. Reinstall valve stem core and inflate to the recommended running pressure.

(5) Tubeless tires suitable for assembly with a tube on a tube-type rim may be used on tube or tubeless rims but not for applications that exceed 120 mph. When installing a tube in a tubeless tire do not tighten valve system lock nut until it is seated and inflated to proper riding pressure.

(6) Whenever you install a tube, care should be taken not to pinch the tube. Always dust the tube with talcum powder.

(7) When fitting a new TL (tubeless) tire a new valve should be used for safety reasons. Under acceleration and braking as well in during continuous riding at elevated speeds the centrifugal forces can cause a rubber valve stem to bend. Because of this a short rubber or even better a metal valve stem should installed in the wheel. Please consult with the dealer or wheel manufacturer for the correct valve stem. The correct short valve core should be used in these applications. Short valve cores have a higher preload than the long ones.

(8) Always use a valve cap that features a rubber seal to help prevent air loss.

(9) Always balance the tire and wheel after installing a new tire.

(10) During use do not exceed the max. load rating and max. pressure as indicated on the tire’s sidewall.

(11) When installing tire onto motorcycle be sure to check clearances. Tire width and diameter of indicated size vary between brands and types.

(12) These tires are for use only on vehicles for which "motorcycle tires" were originally specified by the manufacturer. Any other use could be dangerous and unsafe.

Safety Warning: Bodily Injury, including death, and damage to the motorcycle may result from improper use. Always follow the vehicle manufacturer's instructions.

NA Metzeler M/C Tires Consumer Affairs

877 202-4993

www.metzeler.com

So, I will be mounting with the red dot at the heaviest point of my rim. Someone suggested checking the wheel for the heavy point and then marking it on the wheel before mounting the tire. Sometimes the valve stem is not the heaviest part of the wheel. Sounds good to me!

Old 01-27-2023, 12:57 AM
Wynsumm
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmmm tire mounting issues

The only problem I see with the above mentioned idea of checking the balance before hand is that it's a major pain to bead the check and mark then re - bead the tire . Not fun but more accurate than the red or yellow dot nonsense.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:11 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

who says you have to seal the tire to the bead. you can rotate the tire on the rim to find the best spot then air the tire. will there be a little diff, probably so as air does have weight, but you are ballpark and use less weight to balance. this is using a bubble balance, real cheap from HF.
will work also with the axle/weight balance also. you cannot use a force spin balance as the tire will probably slip, never tried that one.

Last edited by bustert; 01-27-2023 at 08:13 AM.