Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

I fixed my sloppy dual caliper brake lever on Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 06:38 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
Default I fixed my sloppy dual caliper brake lever on Fat Bob

About a month or so ago I bled my front system using the speedbleeders that have been on there since the last time I bled the front calipers. Last time I had nice firm brake feel with short travel. For some reason this time around it was pretty sloppy. The brakes would engage, but the lever travel was too much for what I'm used to. I went to the dealership, tested a new Fat Bob and it was right off the lever. A used model had about what I did before I fixed it. This afternoon I thoroughly cleaned both front calipers pistons, retracted them all the way into their bores, re-cleaned them etc. .put new Lyndall pads in, and bled the system. I greased the pad pins using the same grease that comes in the Harley rebuild kit, shown in the pictures as Versilube. Should last a lifetime with how little I used.

I think all of the above combined has restored my brakes to how they should be.

I took video clips during the progression, hopefully it works.

"After left caliper", brake lever travel after cleaning caliper farthest from M/C and re-installing with new pads. This is with a recently bled system. Lever comes to the grip pretty easily.

"After both calipers", shows the lever travel after cleaning pistons of both calipers and installing new pads.

"After bleeding" is re-bled system after finishing up both calipers. I didn't notice any air bubbles coming out. I now have two finger braking like I should with this setup.

Old pad thickness after 17k miles and I use both brakes whenever possible:

Tools used minus sockets, torque wrench, lots of shop towels:

All done:

Five minutes later:

If I were to go one step further and re-build the calipers using new seals, grease on the pistons and their bores I believe it would be back to engaging immediately but not something I'm interested in doing now. I have the re-build kits from Drag specialties, maybe next time I mess with them I'll do it.