Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Tube Valve Stem Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've done my time repairing tubes on the roadside, but never needed a flatbed for a tubed tyre! I have however for tubeless ones, because when the tyre bead comes off the rim there is no way ahead, without outside assistance and a lot of compressed air!

Vinish, well done for writing the definitive tube thread!
GR you are the man.....lol No way in this world could I accomplish fixing a tube on the road. Did ya have to say the tire bead thing to me?????
Now I'll worry about that.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Gliden
GR you are the man.....lol No way in this world could I accomplish fixing a tube on the road. Did ya have to say the tire bead thing to me?????
Now I'll worry about that.
Sorry about that, but the memory of our escapade en France is still fresh in my mind! We had a 'puncture' in rural France late Saturday afternoon and the rear tyre beads dropped into the wheel well. We got recovered quickly enough and were only a couple of miles from our hotel, however there were no services available until Tuesday! Got taken to the H-D dealer at Rheims, over 60 miles away, to find the rubber valve stem had split (no roadside repair I can think of for that, except fitting a tube!). Got back to the hotel late in the day and back on the road Wednesday morning. We stayed in Coucy-le-Château-Auffrique, if you ever find yourself that way, one of the largest medieval fortresses!