Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Tube Valve Stem Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 AM
Vinish
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tube Valve Stem Question

I am getting new tires for my '06 Softail Heritage, FLSTi and also want to get new tubes. My wheels are spoked. I know that I need offset valve stems since the holes in my rims are not in the center but are to the side a little bit. I also know the sizes I need. One is a 150-160/80x16 and the other is a MT90x16. I don't want to buy high-end or even middle-end tubes. I'm comfortable with lower end tubes so the HD tubes are totally out of the picture. What can I say... I'm frugal or as my wife prefers... a cheap bast@rd. Anyway, here is my dilemma. I am confident that I can use the TR4 type valve stem which is round. Can I also use the TR6 type valve stem which has an oval profile where it passes through the rim? You would think that I could just look at my rims and tell but I'm 1000 miles away from my bike. It is hibernating in Michigan while I am spending the winter in Florida. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. I'm hoping someone with experience says something like, "Oh yeah, all the rim holes are sized for either the TR4 or the TR6" or "No way. The holes in the rim are sized for TR4 stems and would never accept the oval TR6". Something definitive so that I can get these ordered and ready for my return to the colds of Michigan in May. Thanks.

G'day,

Vinish

Old 04-25-2014, 08:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The valve stem holes in your rims are round! TR4 and TR6 are Triumph roadsters - saw a blue TR6 only yesterday.....

Old 04-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Vinish
Advanced

Originally Posted by grbrown
The valve stem holes in your rims are round! TR4 and TR6 are Triumph roadsters - saw a blue TR6 only yesterday.....
Thanks much for the feedback on my question. Yes, I now know that the rim holes are round but there seems to be some indication on the web in some part selection websites that the slightly oval shaped TR6 stems will also fit into these round rim holes.

While I am sure you are correct that TR4 and TR6 are Triumph roadsters, they are also names for valve stem designs. See this link for an example:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...tart=0&ndsp=49

or just google "TR6 valve stem".

G'day,

Vinish

Old 04-26-2014, 10:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I was pulling your leg about the Triumphs! As for tubes I have always used branded ones rather than the cheapest available, as they tend to last longer.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:52 PM
Vinish
Advanced

Originally Posted by grbrown
I was pulling your leg about the Triumphs! As for tubes I have always used branded ones rather than the cheapest available, as they tend to last longer.
Ahh, sorry. I did not get it at the time. I find that my tubes way outlast my tires. I've gone through many tires and never once had a tube fail. On the other hand, I do change the tube with every tire change. Maybe this is not necessary.

G'day,

Vinish

Old 04-27-2014, 07:52 AM
Vinish
Advanced

Well for anyone who is interested, I figured this out. It took a lot of searching on the internet but it turns out that either TR-4 or TR-6 will work fine in any rim. I previously described how one of these has a round base and one has an oval base. I thought, mistakenly, that this "base" referred to the bottom portion of the metal stem - the portion that goes through the rim hole. The correct meaning of "base" is the rubber portion of the valve stem that is glued to the rest of the inner tube. The entire length of the metal shaft is round for both TR-4 and TR-6. This makes it easier when ordering tubes. You can buy either stem type. You only have to worry about proper size (diameter and width), whether the stem comes out the center of the rim or is offset, and whether you want the stem bent or straight.

Sorry to have bothered you and thanks for the advice you offered. Hopefully, this will help someone in the future with a similar question.

G'day,

Vinish

Old 04-27-2014, 08:07 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I've since yanked my tubes tires and installed cast wheels. Reason...got a flat and got a taste of the helpless feeling being a hundred miles from home waiting for a flat bed on a Sunday afternoon. Now I carry a pump and a worm kit. Just food for thought.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I've done my time repairing tubes on the roadside, but never needed a flatbed for a tubed tyre! I have however for tubeless ones, because when the tyre bead comes off the rim there is no way ahead, without outside assistance and a lot of compressed air!

Vinish, well done for writing the definitive tube thread!

Old 04-27-2014, 08:53 PM
Vinish
Advanced

"Definitive"? I thank you for the compliment but am pretty sure this is not definitive I do feel it is a pretty good explanation of the TR4 vs. TR6 valve stem but that's about it. Anyway, thanks to all who posted here. Ordered my new tires and tubes from Rocky Mountain ATV. They are the cheapest place I found online for Michelin ME 880 wide white walls. $170 for a 150/80-B16 rear WWW and $140 for a MT90B-16 WWW front. Tubes were $17 each for front and back. No tax to Michigan and free shipping.

G'day,

Vinish

Old 04-27-2014, 10:35 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey Vinish,

Thanks for the new tire outlet company name. They are $7 cheaper than the lowest price I found. Hey 7 bucks is 7 Bucks. I'd stoop over and pick it up off the ground. I've picked up much less.

Quick Reply: Tube Valve Stem Question