Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2014-2023 Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models-177/)
-   -   This Weather Sucks! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models/1001133-this-weather-sucks.html)

HARLEY100TH 09-23-2014 08:29 AM

This Weather Sucks!

When I got on my bike to ride to work yesterday, it was 58 degrees. Not bad, but it was a bit chilly when I hit the highway at speeds of 80/85 MPH. But when I woke up this morning, it was a bone-chilling 39 degrees outside, and sadly, at the last minute before hitting the road I opted to jump into my comfy car instead. Now, I'm sitting in my office looking out the window filled with regret, while it warms up into the 50's.

You guys who live in the warmer climates have it made. The riding season here in north-western New Jersey comes and goes so fast, it makes your head spin. 5-months of comfortable riding (if you're lucky) and then 7 long months of wishing you lived somewhere warmer as you see your bike everyday collecting dust in the garage.

Yeah, I could have sucked it up this morning and toughed it out. Yes, i could buy heated hand grips and a heated seat to try to extend the season, but for what purpose? It's not like i am taking a cross-country trip where I would be on the bike all day. If this was the case, then I would invest in these things. But I am only commuting a 1/2-hour to work each way, and then the bike sits outside for 9 -to- 10 hours while I am trapped inside my office. So, it really doesn't make a lot of sense to put myself through the extra discomfort for such a brief period of time.

So it's a sad time for us northerners, as we see our season so quickly come to an end.

skyhawk85u 09-23-2014 08:40 AM

Every year here in Massachusetts I swear I'm going to ride into the winter, especially this year with my new Rushmore and heated grips. And every year by mid to late October I realize I haven't been on the bike in a while and I just give up and put it away.

My solution for sadly watching my bike gather dust is to put my cover on it in the garage for the winter. Sigh...

hvacgaspiping 09-23-2014 09:22 AM

Y`all need to move SOUTH!:icon_headbang: :icon_tongue:

highwayman1224 09-23-2014 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping (Post 13246730)
Y`all need to move SOUTH!:icon_headbang: :icon_tongue:

Or out west, still trying to figure out what this winter thing is everyone complains about every year....

Gwaxley 09-23-2014 09:40 AM

What winter thing?

Bunker 09-23-2014 10:08 AM

yeah we had a cold front come through last night so it was a chilly 69 went I rode in to work this am :p gonna be a nice ride home though, 83 and humidity done to 43% :icon_banana: will be taking the long ride home today :icon_mrgreen:

my67pnycar 09-23-2014 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by HARLEY100TH (Post 13246443)
When I got on my bike to ride to work yesterday, it was 58 degrees. Not bad, but it was a bit chilly when I hit the highway at speeds of 80/85 MPH. But when I woke up this morning, it was a bone-chilling 39 degrees outside, and sadly, at the last minute before hitting the road I opted to jump into my comfy car instead. Now, I'm sitting in my office looking out the window filled with regret, while it warms up into the 50's.

You guys who live in the warmer climates have it made. The riding season here in north-western New Jersey comes and goes so fast, it makes your head spin. 5-months of comfortable riding (if you're lucky) and then 7 long months of wishing you lived somewhere warmer as you see your bike everyday collecting dust in the garage.

Yeah, I could have sucked it up this morning and toughed it out. Yes, i could buy heated hand grips and a heated seat to try to extend the season, but for what purpose? It's not like i am taking a cross-country trip where I would be on the bike all day. If this was the case, then I would invest in these things. But I am only commuting a 1/2-hour to work each way, and then the bike sits outside for 9 -to- 10 hours while I am trapped inside my office. So, it really doesn't make a lot of sense to put myself through the extra discomfort for such a brief period of time.

So it's a sad time for us northerners, as we see our season so quickly come to an end.

Dude, I have been out in 35 degree weather, I have a 40 minute ride to work each way also. Suck it up and ride man. One of my BEST investments was a 1st gear insulated/waterproof thermal suit. Its good down to below freezing, the only things that get cold are your feet (depends on how you dress your toesies) other than that, was snug as a bug in a rug. The best 175 bucks I have spent on my bike. Google it man, you will be surprised. Its like a waterproof snow suit. You can get batterY powered heated gloves CHEAP. OH YEAH, slow yer azz down when its that cold out, lmao..

flyboyron 09-23-2014 10:20 AM

Well, it has been pretty warm out here (So Calif.) for a while. Several mornings, at 4:30am it was over 80 degrees.

Just this last weekend it has cooled down to where it is in the mid 60's at 4:30am. The afternoon temps have dropped below 100 and are only at the mid 90's.

Next weekend they are saying it will still be in the mid to upper 90's and slowly starting to cool off now that technically summer is over.

It is just so frustrating to be sweating all the time getting on and off the bike, I have been only riding once or twice a week.

Soon, that will change.:icon_banana:

batman. 09-23-2014 10:49 AM

Im here in Michigan and havent stopped riding yet i figure i got at least another month easily. I only have normal riding gear nothing heated and still ride 40 mins to work. Rode in colder for longer time frames with less of a bike. Suck it up jr ride on....

Batman.

tpcowfish 09-23-2014 11:06 AM

Ride until the salt hits the roads !