Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2014-2023 Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models-177/)
-   -   OEM Heated Grip Install - 14 Ultra Classic (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models/1077165-oem-heated-grip-install-14-ultra-classic.html)

p51bombay 10-25-2015 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by FX4 (Post 14515871)
You need to fish the wire on the left side only and yes it is very doable with the bars installed. It only takes a couple of minutes.

Do you mean on the Rushmore models or earlier? I was looking around trying to see where the wires exit the bars and even thought I know its between the clamps - I can't see an easy path to where they exit.

And the previous photo I posted with the arrow isn't the wire in question.

14GuineaPig 10-26-2015 08:50 AM

Look in the service manual on page 2-91 - HEATED HAND GRIPS - Remove Left Hand Grip. The wire in the picture you posted should be "Front Fender Tip Lamp"

I tried to post a picture of the manual but for some unknown reason I can't post pictures.

Just Me 10-28-2015 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by p51bombay (Post 14502669)
Is it the one that looks folded over with a zip tie holding it in place?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...991f300e2f.jpg

So did anyone figure out where the wire actually is? The one in the pic is the speaker and front fender light.

Msquad 10-28-2015 02:48 PM

They are under there. You just have to find them. They are buried away the one on the throttle side is harder to find as it is very short. The one in the pic above is not for the heated grips.

For the throttle side, very easy to install unless you have earlier models but for Rushmore it is a piece of cake.

I did not fish my wires all the way through the bars on the left side but made a hole in the bars before they entered the fairing - not at all noticeable - but that is just the way I did it. Then I used a rubber grommet. If you can get the wires all the way to the middle to fish out and plug in then go for it.

The diagram they give in the instructions as to where the plugs are is not even close. They are hidden and buried underneath other wires one on left side and one on right side. This was the longest part of the install for me - FINDING those wires!!! BUT they are there...

Just Me 10-28-2015 04:26 PM

Easier said than done! Spent all afternoon and found nothing but one plug that is purple/black that will plug in after you remove the outer casing. Its hot when turned on but no part of the throttle wire. Dealer said if it didn't come factory the wires run under the tank and back to the fuse block. ???? This is why the stealer charges $350.00 to install. They have made the Rushmore's so difficult to work on just like cars now days.

FX4 10-28-2015 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by p51bombay (Post 14515945)
Do you mean on the Rushmore models or earlier? I was looking around trying to see where the wires exit the bars and even thought I know its between the clamps - I can't see an easy path to where they exit.

And the previous photo I posted with the arrow isn't the wire in question.

Rusmore bikes. The wires exit at the center of the bar.

FX4 10-28-2015 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Just Me (Post 14524560)
Easier said than done! Spent all afternoon and found nothing but one plug that is purple/black that will plug in after you remove the outer casing. Its hot when turned on but no part of the throttle wire. Dealer said if it didn't come factory the wires run under the tank and back to the fuse block. ???? This is why the stealer charges $350.00 to install. They have made the Rushmore's so difficult to work on just like cars now days.

The biggest problem is the instructions are terrible but once you figure it out, it's a two to three hour job.

Just Me 10-28-2015 06:16 PM

Msquad your the man! Went out after supper and stood on my head and there it was, way up underneath the right side. Plugged it in and then went back to that p/b wire and plugged the other end in and wouldn't you know it, HEAT!
Going to do the same as you did with drilling a hole in the bar. Wires are to short anyway so got to add.
And so the dealer lied about wiring running back under the tank to the fuse block, Scum...

pswomack 10-28-2015 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Just Me (Post 14524876)
Msquad your the man! Went out after supper and stood on my head and there it was, way up underneath the right side. Plugged it in and then went back to that p/b wire and plugged the other end in and wouldn't you know it, HEAT!
Going to do the same as you did with drilling a hole in the bar. Wires are to short anyway so got to add.
And so the dealer lied about wiring running back under the tank to the fuse block, Scum...

On 2013 and older you do have to remove the tank and run wires to the fuse block, but not on the Rushmore's, the wiring is there, just kinda tricky finding it!

Msquad 10-28-2015 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Just Me (Post 14524876)

Glad I could help. Didn't know if my explanation was good enough :). And I thought there was no way I was going to run those wires all the way to the middle of the bar without taking the fairing off etc. so the drilling worked perfectly.