Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2014-2023 Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models-177/)
-   -   Limited Low jiffy stand on regular Limited? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models/1109558-limited-low-jiffy-stand-on-regular-limited.html)

heavymetalthunder 04-10-2016 07:46 PM

Limited Low jiffy stand on regular Limited?

Will the side stand from a Limited Low work ok on a standard Limited Rushmore bike? The tang on my jiffy stand failed from metal fatigue and won't stay upright. It drags in left hand turns and is very hard to retract so I'm getting a new stand. I thought I'd try the Low version if it
doesn't make the bike lean anymore while its on the stand. Or cause any other problems. Anyone swap side stands? Thanks, HMT

stro1965 04-10-2016 07:58 PM

I haven't tried it but it would seem to me that your bike would lean over further? I assume the angle of the stand is different on the low?

Greatsteaks 04-10-2016 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by stro1965
I haven't tried it but it would seem to me that your bike would lean over further? I assume the angle of the stand is different on the low?

Yes, I agree. What year is it(warranty)? I have never heard of one failing. I have a "low" ultra and love the extended tab, love everything about the "low" as I'm 5-7". I went to the dealer to look at used bikes last March, salesman insisted I sit on a low, after a long winded battle I gave in just to shut him up, hour later I was riding it home, lol

heavymetalthunder 04-10-2016 10:08 PM

The 2015 Ultra Limited and the Street Glide share the same part number. So I'm hoping its just the difference in the tang that gives the low a different part number.

heavymetalthunder 04-10-2016 10:08 PM

Its a 2015. I've tried at a couple of dealers and they claim normal wear and tear. No warranty. One service manager took a crescent wrench and bent the tang back up. It only lasted a couple of days and its as bad as ever. I've had several touring bikes and never had a issue with any of the stands till this one, 12,00 miles and its shot. I'm gonna order a low one and Remove mine and compare the length of the 2 when I pick it up. I don't want it leaning over any farther than it needs to.

Greatsteaks 04-10-2016 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
The 2015 Ultra Limited and the Street Glide share the same part number. So I'm hoping its just the difference in the tang that gives the low a different part number.

The low is 1" lower so I'm sure the j stand is adjuster for that as well as the extended tang.

hbsoldier3 04-10-2016 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder (Post 15031051)
Its a 2015. I've tried at a couple of dealers and they claim normal wear and tear. No warranty. One service manager took a crescent wrench and bent the tang back up. It only lasted a couple of days and its as bad as ever. I've had several touring bikes and never had a issue with any of the stands till this one, 12,00 miles and its shot. I'm gonna order a low one and Remove mine and compare the length of the 2 when I pick it up. I don't want it leaning over any farther than it needs to.

Thats bull-sh!t my friend. If that were the case and your engine crankshaft failed at 12,00 miles then that would also be considered normal wear and tear. I would call MoCo and report both dealers.

harley0711 04-10-2016 10:46 PM

I do believe they are the same jiffy stand - Only the LOW had a different tang on it, so us short riders can reach it with our boot...

...I bought a Limited LOW and took off both rear and front suspension and installed standard height.. left stand and NO issues..

nuages 04-11-2016 04:47 AM

Jiffy Stand

Installed the Jiffy Stand on my 2014 FLHX.....no issues

cycle7447 04-11-2016 05:37 AM

I have to agree withhpsoldier3 - if your bike is a 2015, then it is under warranty - such should not be considered normal wear and tear.

Curious - how much did the service manager charge you to bend it back? Nothing - hummmm, really..hummm, Sounds like he knew it was warranty and worked on it for nothing.

I have chrome speaker covers on my bike. Got home one day and noticed they were missing two screws and a third was loose. I thought, who in the world tried to take my covers - and purchase new screws.

Days later, they were loose again - so I went to the dealer. Service writer said it was not a warranty item. I grabbed the service manager to have him explain. He took a look at it and said, something must be wrong. After some research, discovered there was an issue with the covers and it needed something different. He replaced everything (screws and settings). Problem resolved and it has not been an issue since.

Don't let anyone take advantage of you like that - you did nothing wrong.