Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2014-2023 Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models-177/)
-   -   clutch and brake fluid flushes: worth it? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models/1203003-clutch-and-brake-fluid-flushes-worth-it.html)

donnie1 05-08-2018 10:59 AM

I started out by giving my experience as far as being worth it or not to do the flush, which is what the title of the thread is. I guess it strayed off course just a bit.

KumaRide 05-10-2018 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by lp (Post 17339077)
That kinda looks like someone mixed DOT 4 and DOT 5 together - which is very, very bad.

I received the abs free flush recall notice. Called the dealership and asked a service person about it. He said they replace the DOT 4 with DOT 5. Two times I asked him if he is certain of this. After the second time I questioned him he asked another person who said they do not replace the 4 with 5. Anything is possible....

FNGonaRK 05-10-2018 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by donnie1 (Post 17342643)
I started out by giving my experience as far as being worth it or not to do the flush, which is what the title of the thread is. I guess it strayed off course just a bit.

Did you figure out what happened and if the dealership put DOT5 in it by mistake?

donnie1 05-10-2018 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK (Post 17347902)
Did you figure out what happened and if the dealership put DOT5 in it by mistake?

Not yet. I’m thinking there’s still in the lines. I ordered a new master cyl cap and it should be here tomorrow

Iowa cajun 07-27-2018 03:32 PM

Brake and clutch fluid change out

Just to add my 2 cents, I was very skeptical about having mine done. I talked to several people about it. Some said do it some said don't waste your money. Had my bike in for the 10k service last week and decided to go ahead and be safe then sorry and had it changed. The mechanic informed me that my fluid tested at 3% moisture. Which is the max. So i'm going to do it according to scheduled maintenance for now on.

roadpop 07-27-2018 05:59 PM

Buy speedbleeders and do it yourself...flushing is a 1 man job and bleeders are about 15 each (4) and you know it’s done right.. even guys with limited mechanical ability should be able to tackle this job..

not a sock 07-27-2018 07:39 PM

I've always done the brake fluid flush on ALL of my vehicles.
Just 'good' maintenance and safety idea.

A few years ago, Cycle World magazine had a story in it about a big truck running
away down a hill where a group of motorcyclists were sitting in the road to turn
left into a campground (I think).
Anyway, the guy in the truck didn't have any brakes even though he had a 'full pedal.'

Seems the master cylinder had water in it and had boiled making steam so the driver couldn't
push the brake pedal hard enough to slow or stop the truck. (you can't compress water)
I believe he killed three motorcyclists in that crash.

Since reading that I am more certain to routinely change fluid..........