Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2014-2023 Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models-177/)
-   -   SiriusXM Antenna: Where did you mount it? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models/957994-siriusxm-antenna-where-did-you-mount-it.html)

Rockrivr1 04-15-2014 06:58 AM

SiriusXM Antenna: Where did you mount it?

Before I left the dealership with my new bike I had them install the SiriusXM module. I listen to satellite radio more then anything else when riding. I was talking to the service dept at the dealership and asked where they mount the antenna module and they said they just mount it inside the fairing. When asked if they get a lot of disconnects with it there, they said no.

And they lied! I know, shocking. I get the satellite connection dropping anytime I head onto a road that has tree cover. Had the same issue with the satellite antenna on my RKC when i set it up. So I'm going to take the fairing cover off this weekend and reposition the antenna.

If you've had to do this, where did you mount the antenna? I'm thinking of just mounting it on the lip that is above the fairing speaker. Seems like a good spot, but will have to velcro it down so it doesn't move.

That a good spot or would you recommend someplace else?

GSHOG 04-15-2014 07:32 AM

Mine is mounted above the radio inside the fairing. I do get an occasional interruption in reception but no more than with the XM in my car.

LeeH 04-15-2014 07:53 AM

Pretty good coverage of this topic here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...e-antenna.html

sullyj020 04-15-2014 08:28 AM

I used a magnet mount antenna and placed it on the corner of the tour-pack luggage rack.

Tirpitz 04-17-2014 12:14 PM

You might also try on the left speaker inside the fairing. That is where I have mine, it sometimes gives you a signal when you have tree line on your right and you are riding along the centerline.

boot1 04-17-2014 02:57 PM

notched inner fairing and mounted beside vent actuator button. now covered with windshield bag works great.

GeneseeGap 04-17-2014 04:27 PM

I am wanting to get the module for my 14 ultra. I had a handlebar mounted module for my 09 ultra and when the disk was next to the radio on the handlebar mount I got bad reception. It was very spotty. I took the disk off the handlebar mount and just stuck it on the inside of the dash on the left side. I never lost reception (except in tunnels and a few times in the rockies).
I was hoping the antenna got "better with age" but it seems a lot of new xm users are reporting crappy reception.
thanks for the post...good info.

Rockrivr1 04-17-2014 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by GeneseeGap (Post 12603091)
I am wanting to get the module for my 14 ultra. I had a handlebar mounted module for my 09 ultra and when the disk was next to the radio on the handlebar mount I got bad reception. It was very spotty. I took the disk off the handlebar mount and just stuck it on the inside of the dash on the left side. I never lost reception (except in tunnels and a few times in the rockies).
I was hoping the antenna got "better with age" but it seems a lot of new xm users are reporting crappy reception.
thanks for the post...good info.

Interesting as I had the opposite experience. I had a Sirius antenna on my old bike's handlebar that almost never cut out. On this bike in the fairing doesn't work on any road that has trees around.

GeneseeGap 04-17-2014 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rockrivr1 (Post 12603787)
Interesting as I had the opposite experience. I had a Sirius antenna on my old bike's handlebar that almost never cut out. On this bike in the fairing doesn't work on any road that has trees around.

Ive guess I have heard of the antenna being just about everywhere! I had it just stuck onto the top of the dash...not inside the fairing...and that's where it worked best for me...go figure!
And when it was there it really worked as advertised. Very clear!

oldwarrior 04-17-2014 08:53 PM

On my 95 Dresser it is mounted on the stock rear luggage rack, snuggled up against the rear of the seat, never had a lost signal with it mounted there.