Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2014-2023 Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models-177/)
-   -   Swapping out gauges for used ones... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models/1075243-swapping-out-gauges-for-used-ones.html)

Hard Ride 10-07-2015 05:53 PM

Swapping out gauges for used ones...

On my 15 Harley I want to swap out my gauges for a set of used Limited gauges that has 100 miles on them...I want to do this because the Limited gauges are brighter at night...will the ECM read them and reset the mileage...this much I do know...if they were new out of the box the ECM would do a mileage count down then reset the mileage...

zoozoo 10-07-2015 06:48 PM

Before you do that try going to a business that specializes in tinting vehicle windows and see if they can darken your gauge screens. I have heard of people doing this. I can't believe someone hasn't started selling peel and stick covers for the gauges in different colors and tints.

YPD485 10-07-2015 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by zoozoo (Post 14463094)
Before you do that try going to a business that specializes in tinting vehicle windows and see if they can darken your gauge screens. I have heard of people doing this. I can't believe someone hasn't started selling peel and stick covers for the gauges in different colors and tints.

I believe the op wants the Limiteds gauges due to them being brighter.

Northride 10-07-2015 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hard Ride (Post 14462935)
On my 15 Harley I want to swap out my gauges for a set of used Limited gauges that has 100 miles on them...I want to do this because the Limited gauges are brighter at night...will the ECM read them and reset the mileage...this much I do know...if they were new out of the box the ECM would do a mileage count down then reset the mileage...

Gauges are married to a bike after 31 miles (or very close to that). The mileage display will not display mileage - instead it will show "vinerr" meaning it does not recognise the correct VIN number.

jcapps 10-07-2015 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Northride (Post 14463507)
Gauges are married to a bike after 31 miles (or very close to that). The mileage display will not display mileage - instead it will show "vinerr" meaning it does not recognise the correct VIN number.

:icon_ditto:

pswomack 10-07-2015 10:17 PM

Your best bet is to buy a new set of gauges, used ones will not work, it will show "vinerr" instead of mileage.

Custom Face Gauges - Speedo / Tach Cluster - MPH
Genuine Harley-Davidson® Product
Harley-Davidson® 70900293A $249

Custom Face Gauges - Fuel Gauge
Harley-Davidson® 70900296 $83

Custom Face Gauges - Voltmeter
Harley-Davidson® 70900297 $83

These are the gauges you want, they were priced from Boardtracker Harley Online.

http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline.com/

h-d wrencher 10-08-2015 12:06 AM

Or buy the speedometer new and you can tell them how many miles you need put on the odometer and buy all the other gauges used. When I swapped out mine to the titanium ones, they just asked how many miles I needed on the odometer.

p51bombay 10-08-2015 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Northride (Post 14463507)

It's even less on factory installs, basically locked on install even with no miles.

mrlexus 07-30-2018 07:30 AM

Has anyone actually tried this? I have a friend that went digital gauges on his 17 and I'd like to use his gauges as they are black faced vs my 16 which are white. Would I have to for sure get a brand new speedo, or is there a work around through the the dealer?

hbsoldier3 07-30-2018 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by h-d wrencher (Post 14463880)
Or buy the speedometer new and you can tell them how many miles you need put on the odometer and buy all the other gauges used. When I swapped out mine to the titanium ones, they just asked how many miles I needed on the odometer.

If you replace the speedo/tach with a new unit then the odometer will reset to the current miles after the 31 mile countdown.