Sponsored by:

Clutch/Brake covers leaking after handlebar change

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 01:19 PM
slck15
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/Brake covers leaking after handlebar change

Hey guys, I just changed my bars out and now my clutch and brake covers are seeping. Would this be from leaving them hanging during change and the seal are saturated? Or something else? Should I pull covers off and clean seals or change them? Thanks!

Old 12-11-2017, 05:29 PM
glcash
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Happened to me. Couldn't get it to stop. had to buy new gaskets. They seem to deform after youve removed the cover.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:06 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

I would try cleaning the gaskets, and make sure the reservoirs are not overfull.

A few days ago, I put new pads in my front calipers. Had to remove the reservoir cover to push the pistons back into the calipers. I decided to also drain my clutch system, since I was making a big mess I figured to get it all over with in one day. I had my handlebar reservoir covers removed for several hours. I cleaned them carefully, put them back together, and make sure to not put too much torque on the screws. Literally only finger tight. I don't know what the manual sez for spec, but it is a low low number. I just barely snugged them up. I've heard of over torque on these screws causing a leak.

Anyways, even after having the gaskets off and sitting on my table all day, they went back together fine and have not leaked.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:36 PM
xltjim
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My front brake cover was weeping after I had it off to do a brake flush, I hadn't over tightened it. I took it off and cleaned it with alcohol. I really massaged the heck out of it as well. I figured worst case I would need to get another gasket. Put it back together and hasn't leaked since. May be worth a shot before getting another gasket. For some reason, I asked the dealer for just the gasket and they say they have to sell the cover with it for 30 bucks.....so before I did that I tried the clean and massage method i.e. nothing to lose ....lol.

Jim

Old 12-11-2017, 07:04 PM
dave the welder
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts

I've had them leak too, I took the cap off and cleaned the rubber real good and made sure it wasn't over filled. So far so good.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:23 PM
slck15
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys!

Old 12-12-2017, 08:53 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

They are over tightened. This will cause them to leak.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:27 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 158 Posts

Heads up!! If you dislodge the little plastic view window at all you will have a weep. Drove me crazy on a trip. Leaked all over. I changed out the cover and gasket to no avail. My mechanic knew exactly what it was. Unless you are experienced in replacing them don't try. Almost impossible for a mortal.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:13 PM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine are now leaking on my '14 SGS. Is it as simple as removing cleaning/replacing and tightening the cover back on? Is there any pressure or bleeding upon removal of the cover and gasket? I know this sounds like a dumb question but I am afraid of dealing with anything hydraulic and have never messed with anything like this because of my fear. I have had leaking on both my clutch and brake reservoir and will have to repaint my black brake lever because of the damage caused by the fluid.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:36 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by commander112
Mine are now leaking on my '14 SGS. Is it as simple as removing cleaning/replacing and tightening the cover back on? Is there any pressure or bleeding upon removal of the cover and gasket?
Just taking the cover off won’t introduce air into the system. No need to bleed afterward. Also, just be aware that the screws only need to be tightened a tiny bit. I forget the amount but it’s in inches, not ft lbs.

Quick Reply: Clutch/Brake covers leaking after handlebar change