Sponsored by:

Harley Reliability overall

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 06:53 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
Its easy to talk and easy to convince people of an issue, just like a politician.
But your rant has no hard facts and figures which is typical of Internet chatter.
If you want real facts (or anyone else) go to Consumer reports who actually did a REAL study.
Dont come back in here with dribs and drabs of that study because you were too cheap to purchase the whole story.

Enough said, this is my first HD after owning a Suzuki and a Yamaha, they do not hold a candle to my Road King, now with 22,000 miles, bought new in 2014 and still has not needed a repair, far less costly to maintain then my two previous metric bikes. No valve adjustments and do not need to replace rear tires every 6 to 7000 miles.
What do you not understand about "WELL DOCUMENTED" ? It IS a hard fact that Goldwings are VERY reliable. I don't have to purchase anything to prove my point. In fact, another poster in this thread HAS posted a Consumer Reports ( I think it was) on RELIABILITY. DUH, Harley was listed at 5 or 6, WELL BELOW the Japanese brands. So it's not "typical Internet chatter", as you say. And what "whole story" are you referring to?
Since you got your panties in a wad about my post, I'll challenge YOU. Produce even ONE study, from a credible source, that ranks Harley higher than a Goldwing or any other Japanese bike in the top 4. OK, partner, the *****' in your court now. Put up or shut up!

Old 07-19-2018, 07:26 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by rwven
I'd take my bike on that trip tomorrow. At what other manufacturer's dealer network can you pull up without an appointment at 10AM on a Sunday morning and ride away with a new rear tire by 11AM? This was my experience on a road trip 2 years ago. Oh yeah, they fed my wife and I breakfast and coffee to boot!
I wasn't talking about a dealer network. If you are talking about ranking dealer networks, I don't think there is another manufacturer that even comes close to Harley as far as motorcycles. Honda is close, but when it comes to getting someone in and out in a reasonable time, they don't stack up to Harley from what I've read about.
But networks wasn't my point. My point was reliability over a significant timeperiod.

And I don't doubt that you would fire up your bike and take that trip( as would I ), but would you under the conditions I stated? A $10,000 bet? Man you must have more money to burn than I do. There is NO WAY I would take that bet on a Harley.
Let me tell you why I even started this thread in the first place. I got a little miffed at seeing posts that indicated the riders had NEVER seen or heard of a reliability problem with our bikes. That just isn't true. I've ridden Harleys for TOO LONG and experienced too many problems to sit back and not respond to someone like that. Then why do I still ride them? Same as you...I like them for any number of reasons. I just don't drink the Kool-Aid that comes with the ownership that Harley markets.

From what I have read here at this Forum, and this is my opinion only, there are many others besides me that are getting seriously annoyed at Mother Harley for not stepping up and fixing some commonly known design problems( and don't ask me to list all of them either..they are well documented here). They are tired of spending big bucks on a machine that has the same old problems, and some new ones too with the addition of all the electronics on the new models. Darn it!, we deserve better than that! And we DON'T deserve someone being the butt-boy for Mother Harley by trying to tell the rest of us we are stupid for seeing what we see ans experience. The are the breed that allows Harley to keep doing this to us.

When did asking for a better shake/deal become whining and being accused of being a malcontent because you raised a legitimate argument?

Old 07-19-2018, 07:38 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
I wasn't talking about a dealer network. If you are talking about ranking dealer networks, I don't think there is another manufacturer that even comes close to Harley as far as motorcycles. Honda is close, but when it comes to getting someone in and out in a reasonable time, they don't stack up to Harley from what I've read about.
But networks wasn't my point. My point was reliability over a significant timeperiod.

And I don't doubt that you would fire up your bike and take that trip( as would I ), but would you under the conditions I stated? A $10,000 bet? Man you must have more money to burn than I do. There is NO WAY I would take that bet on a Harley.
Let me tell you why I even started this thread in the first place. I got a little miffed at seeing posts that indicated the riders had NEVER seen or heard of a reliability problem with our bikes. That just isn't true. I've ridden Harleys for TOO LONG and experienced too many problems to sit back and not respond to someone like that. Then why do I still ride them? Same as you...I like them for any number of reasons. I just don't drink the Kool-Aid that comes with the ownership that Harley markets.

From what I have read here at this Forum, and this is my opinion only, there are many others besides me that are getting seriously annoyed at Mother Harley for not stepping up and fixing some commonly known design problems( and don't ask me to list all of them either..they are well documented here). They are tired of spending big bucks on a machine that has the same old problems, and some new ones too with the addition of all the electronics on the new models. Darn it!, we deserve better than that! And we DON'T deserve someone being the butt-boy for Mother Harley by trying to tell the rest of us we are stupid for seeing what we see ans experience. The are the breed that allows Harley to keep doing this to us.

When did asking for a better shake/deal become whining and being accused of being a malcontent because you raised a legitimate argument?

I assumed the $10,000 bet was just a bit of hyperbole. I wouldn't take that bet on a new GoldWing either. But I'd do the ride on one!

Old 07-19-2018, 08:37 AM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

As an ex Jap bike rider for 15 years (non Gold Wings) I’m happy to report I’m a year and a half and almost 10K trouble free miles on my SGS

Old 07-19-2018, 09:03 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,049 Posts

I am one that said I have not had any problems with my Harley. My first was in 2004,second was 2011 and now I have a 2014.

Like others, I ride my bike to Sturgis (about 3500 round trip - going again this year) - and am very comfortable doing so. Could I have a problem - absolutely. But, I will admit that I do all I can to maintain my bike. Preparing for my trip, I did the maintenance, changed tires, installed a new battery, etc.

Just got back from a 1000 mile trip last weekend - no problems. While there, a friend of mine rode his 2018 Wing. His battery dies twice, right side of the fairing was replaced because the fans stopped and, he is not able to pair his headset with the bike. Think about it, new bike, new issues - much like some of the issues we had with the boom.

When he couldn't get his nav to work, I looked at it..and low and behold, it is a lot on system. A few clicks - and it was working and he could hear the directions.
My son didn't want a Harley - so, I got him the Suzuki Blvd - 1500 Boss tourer. His trip home over the 4th of July - the clutch cable broke - called 8 dealerships - none had one. So, thy had to order it. Cable was $39. Overnight shipping was $48 and just $60 to have it installed.

Bottom line - stuff happens. I use to ride Wings - am a GWRRA life Member. Wife is also a driver and has had 3 Wings - 2 sidecars and a trike. Wife loves the Harley and the clothes. She looked at the Wings and said, by comparison, they look plasticized. I am married to her for 39 years. With respect to the OP, O am going to stick with my Harley - not because of any Kool-Aid - but because we really enjoy the bike.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:10 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 22,264 Likes on 8,546 Posts

I've done quite a few big mileage days on my 16RGU. At least 6 1k days, 2 of them back to back. Several 900 and 800 mile days in hard rains. I don't thrash the bike and do my own scheduled maintenance. I knew my number would come up sooner or later with a malfunction. My beef is the same as GOV5 posted. These same old problems that go back several decades that HD should be able to knock out and make their name golden, but for some reason they are content to let their reputation be trashed by. Dang, just fixing the compensator would move their reliability factor up several notches. The other facet is the service points. If they would school the service managers to be more professional in their work, they wouldn't have the, "that's normal" joke about them. Owners know it's BS but somehow the service guys don't seem to realize we can see through their BS.

The following users liked this post:
Kingglide549 (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 09:35 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
Forgive me for doing another thread on reliability but I didn't want this to get buried in the First thread here about it. To that I say HOGWASH!!! I'm sorry but there is NO WAY a Harley is as reliable as a JAP bike. NO WAY< NO HOW!!! We don't need lies on this Forum!

As for "peace of mind" riding, your preference of bikes will, in my opinion, depend on YOUR level of ability and confidence in being able to wrench on your bike in the even of a breakdown. I think that ability also accounts for some of the statements regarding reliability. To those that CAN wrench, having a shifter fall off, or some other breakage that they know how to fix, isn't a "trip wrecker" in their minds. It's just a minor annoyance. To me, one that doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to hold, it would be a complete disaster! So reliability is really in the eyes of the owner and his/her wrenching ability. Now, I admit there are things that break that even a wrench can't fix on the side of the road because the breakage requires special equipment or parts that aren't available in your saddlebag on the side of the road. So you must be towed to a shop..
We ride Harleys for a variety of reasons. It's a unique group we are in, unlike other brand riders. But if I had to take a ride from Charleston to San Diego and back, with a $10,000 bet that says you have to do it without a breakage on the bike, I can GUARANTEE you I wouldn't be riding a Harley! I'd be on a GOLDWING! AND, anybody that says anything different is an IDIOT or a liar! LOL!!

NOW, FLAME AWAY if you will, but you won't change my mind. I've had too much experience riding Harleys. Don't get me wrong, I like them and I've enjoyed owning them over the years, but don't try to tell me they are a comforting, "peace of mind" ride all the time. They just aren't!
I agree, but who really cares. Go get a Goldwing and enjoy it.

The following users liked this post:
RandyJK (07-22-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 09:50 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

These comparison discussions aren't really fair in my opinion because when it comes to comparing, let's say, a Goldwing to a Harley, it's apple and oranges. I can't imagine a rider who hates the feel and sound of a Vtwin buying one. Some people just like to ride a lot of miles on a motorcycle. As someone who buys and sells used bikes, a used Goldwing rarely has less than 20,000 miles. And a 50,000 GW is not at all unusual. Same goes with BMWs and many Sport Touring bikes. On the other hand, I rarely look for a used Harley with over 20,000 miles. There are A LOT of used 10 year old Harley touring bikes with less than 15,000 miles on them.

While Harleys are quite capable of high mileage riding, most Harley touring riders put less than 3000 miles a year on them. And, Harley is typically the most expensive of the touring bikes, so there is something about them that drives the high number of sales.

If folks here want to whine about Harley reliability, then compare it's reliability with the reliability of the only bike that is really in it's class, the Polaris Indian. That changes the conversation completely. OK, you can throw in the plastic covered Yamaha and Kawasaki VTwin something or others.

Beary

Old 07-19-2018, 09:57 AM
Mikes2011fxdb
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 62,000 miles on my 14 Limited only problem was a water pump at 28,000 miles on a trip out west. No matter what you buy things fail some have had problems some don't. I do my own maintenance because it gives me peace of mind to know everything is ok. If it goes to 100,000 miles I will be a happy camper.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:57 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Is my Harley Davidson the most reliable bike I have ever owned? No probably not... I believe it is made well enough to travel on and it definitely is ( for me ) the most comfortable bike for the job. I own several makes of bikes and the Harley Davidson is the one I go furthest from my home on. I love the new 2018 gold wing. It as with all past gold wings are awesome bikes if you fit them well that is, I never have been comfortable on them. The Harley Davidson is a fine bike that is worth maintaining... all have some sort of problems no matter who makes them, look into the new gold wings front fork set up and you might rethinking the hole not as reliable thing a little bit.

Quick Reply: Harley Reliability overall