Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXSB Breakout Upgrade DIY: Fork Suspension / Tires / Brake -Part numbers, tools, tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 09:23 AM
Jessica Sinclair
Road Captain
Received 132 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
yes, just need the adapter and a mount

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l#post16752132

i'll try to find the part number

why do you still have that photoshopped boot piture?
Thank you i really like the head light btw is it brighter than Daymaker?

I think they like the boots better on my feet

What kind of mount ? Cant i just insert the LED into my headlamp?

Last edited by Jessica Sinclair; 03-25-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:36 PM
bitmonx
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a question about the Ricor Intimidator. Is there something to come out of the fork tube to replace the intimidator or do I drop the intimidator into the fork tube after removing the OEM spring and spacer?

Thanks for info

Bitmonx

Old 12-27-2018, 06:24 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by bitmonx
I have a question about the Ricor Intimidator. Is there something to come out of the fork tube to replace the intimidator or do I drop the intimidator into the fork tube after removing the OEM spring and spacer?

Thanks for info

Bitmonx
Its been awhile since I installed mine and the instructions aren't in front of me, (they do supply instructions) but yes, you are essentially correct. The Intiminator's drop in after you remove the OEM spring and spacer and you reinstall the spring and spacers on top of them. The damper tube in the fork lower remains in place and unaltered. The Intiminators and lighter oil, in effect, override the fixed aperture damper tube, and thicker oil, replacing the apertures with the Intiminator's 2 stage valve system actuated by lighter oil. This is a very easy and highly effective modification. A second pair of hands will come in handy, nonetheless, when you get to removing the forks and replacing the OEM oil.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:16 AM
bitmonx
Intermediate

Thanks HK, now I feel better cause I hate unknowns!!

Happy new year

bitmonx

The following users liked this post:
HKMark23 (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 06:54 PM
wags85
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre load question

hi old thread I know just wondering about preload for this racetech Ricor upgrade... LA Dog specifies cut spacer flush with top of tube for 30mm preload but race tech install instructions specifies 60mm from seat of nut to top of tube???? I have 2016 BO with ABS which one should I follow???

Old 12-29-2018, 04:34 AM
bitmonx
Intermediate

Hey wags,

I will be installing the springs and intimidators this spring (Winter in Switzerland....).
LA Dog has mentioned in the instructions that the Racetech springs are not listed for the breakout, Therefore you need to disregard the instructions from racetech since they do not apply for the BO (unless the Racetech instructions mention specifically the BO?) and follow the ones from LA Dog. Numerous bikers have installed them and it seems it works pretty damn good.
I got a 2017 BO with ABS as well. If you are planning on upgrading the brake pads, do not get the FA457HH cause these are for BO up to 2014. Instead order the FA296HH which is for street use or the EBFA296HH which is for street and or race use. This info I got from EBC Austria.

Happy new year

bitmonx

Old 12-29-2018, 06:00 AM
wags85
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi bitmonx
cheers for the info just wanted to make sure will finish install in the morning (night time here in Australia)..will definitely do brake pad upgrade.. what have people been doing for their rear suspension in terms of shocks, as I reckon fixing the dive in the front may bring to light how poor and harsh the rear is..
happy new year

Old 12-29-2018, 07:24 AM
bitmonx
Intermediate

No idea mate!! I just got mine in November 18 and have only had a few days of riding. It's too cold now and the roads are salty anyway. Got to wait til Spring........
I'll be doing the fork springs and intimidator, removing the tank decal, front brake pads and maybe even the rear as it is ABS, changing the headlight to a 5 3/4 daymaker with a custom Bezel, Blackline dashpanel, fork covers and Arlen Ness rocker box covers.
So far I have installed a riser, changed all turnlights to LED (rear 3 in 1 Kellermann Atto and the front to an LED light from thunderbike and painted the rear fender struts black as well as changed the foot rest and shifter peg to Arlen Ness beveled fusion pegs.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:08 PM
bitmonx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tjcoogan
Poor advice from JON he may be un-educated!

All the info you require is in the first few pages of this thread Tommy, LA has done an amazing job on the info required to do this, you won't be disappointed. If you have done it once it will be easier the second time around, working on your own bike is good bonding time anyway especially if you can't get out to ride.

My only addition to LA's info is measure the the air gap with 5W fork oil in, slider down, Ricor's in and spring, washer and pre-load spacer out at 85mm from top of fork tube (fork leg vertical) rather than oil volume only, this is what the HD book says. Couple of beers some loud music and you will enjoy yourself and the ride that it will produce. Best of luck. TJ
Could you or anyone explain to me a bit more detailed what the last paragraph means, like measure the air gap? What is meant by slider down?
Am I correct that I have to put all the 5W oil into the fork tube, (now not sure what slider down means), remove air from tube by moving fork tube up and down, drop the ricor's & spring & washer & preload spacer in and push on the preload spacer until 85mm is still sticking out of the fork tube and mark it there to cut?

Thanks for clearing this up!!

Old 01-06-2019, 01:25 PM
bitmonx
Intermediate

Hi wags, did you have the mod done? How much force did you need to put on the ratchet to keep the fork nut cap from flying off?

Thanks mate!

Quick Reply: FXSB Breakout Upgrade DIY: Fork Suspension / Tires / Brake -Part numbers, tools, tips