Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   FXSB Breakout Upgrade DIY: Fork Suspension / Tires / Brake -Part numbers, tools, tips (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/1038364-fxsb-breakout-upgrade-diy-fork-suspension-tires-brake-part-numbers-tools-tips.html)

ivanoman 08-11-2015 02:40 PM

wao very good job.

are you selling the original parts?

Skull keeper 08-24-2015 06:45 AM

Rear axle cover

You may want to check out Top Down Products for a rear axle cover- they make a chrome spike that would match your front axle cover. Excellent quality and perfect fit.

LA_Dog 10-13-2015 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by ivanoman (Post 14291589)
wao very good job.

are you selling the original parts?

sorry for the late reply, was not monitoring this thread. yeh i have the stock rear wheel and its still like new, I'll sell it if someone really needs / wants it.

LA_Dog 10-13-2015 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Skull keeper (Post 14328931)
You may want to check out Top Down Products for a rear axle cover- they make a chrome spike that would match your front axle cover. Excellent quality and perfect fit.

Yeh that is pretty cool- maybe they can do a powdercoat black. thanks for the info!

Rocker B 11-02-2015 11:46 PM

LA Dog, I plan on doing a fork mod in the near future. I'm curios why the Ricor site wants to sell me 10wt., When you clearly say use 5wt? Just want to make sure if I do it, which to use? Also I'm 160 lbs. ride one up 99% of the time, after experiencing your mod any recommendations what wt. springs I should go with?? and thanks..

LA_Dog 11-03-2015 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Rocker B (Post 14541606)
LA Dog, I plan on doing this mod in the near future. I'm curios why the Ricor site wants to sell me 10wt., When you clearly say use 5wt? Just want to make sure before I do it, which to use? Also I'm 160 lbs. ride one up 99% of the time, after experiencing your mod any recommendations what wt. springs I should go with?? and thanks, your write up has me exited about the upgrade!!

Nice set of bikes brother- Just do it exactly as i laid it out here and you'll get the exact same (effing awesome) results. I'm 180, 99% one-up riding and I ride hard. So all the parts I outlined will work great for you too.

5w oil
springs and part numbers are in this thread (Page 1, Post #1) just read it over again. You definitely want to do the springs and dampers at the same time.

oh yeah and scrap those crappy stock Breakout tires for the Pirelli Night Dragons. Yes it does make a huge difference on just about everything. not a little, a lot. :D

good luck - when you get it done post back and let me know how much it rocks. :D

Rocker B 11-03-2015 12:54 AM

Hey thanks, I'm getting a Metzeler 880 marathon 260mm mounted tomorrow, should have it back on the bike by p.m. with a matching 120 front following soon. Hope to get the same results with those!! I'll let you know..

LA_Dog 11-03-2015 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rocker B (Post 14541687)
Hey thanks, I'm getting a Metzeler 880 marathon 260mm mounted tomorrow, should have it back on the bike by p.m. with a matching 120 front following soon. Hope to get the same results with those!! I'll let you know..

honestly, you will not even be close to what you'd get with the Night Dragons. The ND's weigh a lot less, are stickier wet or dry, hot or cold, get even wear mileage, and have excellent manners even when pushed hard. I've ridden lots of Metz tires and the only ones I like are the pure race compounds (sport bikes obviously). but even then there are a lot better tire options.

Putting on the wider rear 260 tire is only going to make things worse as far as ride quality. A wider rear is the wrong thing to do for handling and braking especially on the BO. Your bike will not stop as well even though you'd think it would with a fatter tire. it will handle like a pig, and you've just added a lot more rotational mass (weight) with the wider thick tire. I'd really advise against it unless all you care about is having a really wide tire. that' all it's going to do for you :D

the narrower 120 front tire will definitely be an improvement.

**please don't be under any assumption that you will get anything close to the ride improvement benefits if you go with the 888's and a 260 rear - you will not!**

If you can avoid getting the 888's and do the ND's (in the correct sizes :D) you'll be very pleased. Not only that, the ND's are priced pretty reasonable. I bought mine at motorcycle-superstore.com - good service, good prices. try amazon too.

Pirelli Night Dragon Front Tire
Color- Black, Size- 120/70-21 TL
SKU#394131 $135.99

Pirelli Night Dragon Rear Tire
Color- Black, Size- 240/40VR-18
SKU#255359 $191.99

$327.98 total, free ship. what' not to love :D

Rocker B 11-03-2015 01:30 AM

Too late for this time but you know about rear tires bad thing (or maybe good thing) is if you ride hard none of them last too long, Probably try the Pirelli next time even if I'm happy with the Metz. Just to try them out!!
Only be 8 to 12 months probably! Also I'm really hoping to just firm up the front and reduce the dip in turns.

LA_Dog 11-03-2015 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rocker B (Post 14541710)
Too late for this time but you know about rear tires bad thing (or maybe good thing) is if you ride hard none of them last too long, Probably try the Pirelli next time even if I'm happy with the Metz. Just to try them out!!
Only be 8 to 12 months probably! Also I'm really hoping to just firm up the front and reduce the dip in turns.

yeh you'll definitely firm up the front and get rid of the nose dive with the dampers / springs. and the 120 front tire will help on turn in, although the face profile of the metz is not as apexed as the ND- but it's still better than the stock 130 front.

only thing that is going to jack you up really is the 260 rear, being heavier and wider. with a wider tire you get less pounds per square inch of road contact, so it is easier for the tire to break loose. and it takes a lot more effort for turns. a bike will only brake as well as the tire has "Bite" with the road. if you do things to reduce the contact pressure then braking will suffer. with a narrower more apexed tire, the contact patch is smaller and there is more bite (more pounds per inch of contact area). Not saying all wide tires are bad, it comes down to what the bike was built / designed for. The BO is a softail designed for a 160/180 rear tire. HD did some mad wicked mojo and shoved a 240 up under there. so that is already pushing the limits.