2018+ Softail Models Breakout

ADM's 2018 114" Fat Bob thread.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 04:50 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

10 hours ...even going in through the top ...are they peed you didn't buy the bike off them or something?

Waiting for the lifters to bleed down may possibly waste an hour but they can be putting the exhaust back on, and re-flashing the ECU in that time. 3 hours, 4 tops.

Are they including a tuner/re-flash ...just thinking about all of the debate around warranties and who does the work and if you are keeping yourself covered in that regard (PV on hand with tune ready and all)

Old 10-25-2017, 05:29 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
10 hours ...even going in through the top ...are they peed you didn't buy the bike off them or something?

Waiting for the lifters to bleed down may possibly waste an hour but they can be putting the exhaust back on, and re-flashing the ECU in that time. 3 hours, 4 tops.

Are they including a tuner/re-flash ...just thinking about all of the debate around warranties and who does the work and if you are keeping yourself covered in that regard (PV on hand with tune ready and all)
Well...that quote was when I still had the bike ordered with them. So they weren't even annoyed at that point. Maybe their thinking was "Yeah...new bike so let's gauge for the stage tuning and it won't get noticed."

The quoted separately for the tuner - it was purely the labour estimate that pissed me off. All the part prices were "standard" HD book prices. But I can buy them from the US, or get them VAT free from Jersey HD.

They did offer me a 25% discount on the parts and time. But even so....

As for flashing/tuning with Powervision not affecting warranty, I have that on record with them. Non HD cams and/or installation is a different matter though. So I will have to go with the HD TQ cam for the foreseeable...

Old 10-26-2017, 10:38 AM
yobtaf103
Road Master
Received 274 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
So, I have just relicensed my PowerVision for the new bike and have a copy of Fuel Moto's "stock improved" tune for the 114" Softails loaded onto the PV ready to flash the bike.

Looking forward to trying that out on the bike tomorrow and seeing how much difference I can feel. Will post impressions....
ADM wait with interest how it feels, interesting that the FatBob has a different ecm strategy to all the other 18 softails.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:52 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,423 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by yobtaf103
ADM wait with interest how it feels, interesting that the FatBob has a different ecm strategy to all the other 18 softails.
I do not know who gave you this information but it is total incorrect. The ECM strategy, or what is commonly called code is the same in all 2018 Softail's. The calibration is changed due to the different exhaust style used on the bike, just the same as having a different tune for a 2:1 versus a dual exhaust.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:02 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Well.... I got a little time on the bike with Fuel Moto's "Stock Improved" tune today.

First impressions are that it feels "better" - which isn't very helpful. What it does feel like is a little more powerful and a bit smoother on opening the throttle. This is all a bit subjective as it was powerful and smooth before.

My butt dyno says that there is a bit more torque further to the right of the curve. It doesn't seem to drop off so soon. I also found myself changing gear slightly less.

The bike was also a bit smoother in stop and go traffic.

All in all - not night and day (which you wouldn't expect anyway), but a definite improvement.

I'll try a bit of autotuning tomorrow or at the weekend and see how it goes.

Then hopefully S&S slip ons next week.....

Old 10-26-2017, 12:36 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Forgot to say...when I updated the Powervision (as I haven't used it in the best part of a year), there is now a Dynojet "Stock Improved" tune for the 114 2018 Softails. Haven't tried that one yet though, but interested to see how it feels.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:25 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by adm
Forgot to say...when I updated the Powervision (as I haven't used it in the best part of a year), there is now a Dynojet "Stock Improved" tune for the 114 2018 Softails. Haven't tried that one yet though, but interested to see how it feels.
Ah but which "stock improved", the Bob or the other softails ...and was the FM base map for a Bob?

Old 10-26-2017, 02:32 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

...and as long as you are sure about that warranty

Old 10-26-2017, 03:18 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
Well.... I got a little time on the bike with Fuel Moto's "Stock Improved" tune today.

First impressions are that it feels "better" - which isn't very helpful. What it does feel like is a little more powerful and a bit smoother on opening the throttle. This is all a bit subjective as it was powerful and smooth before.

My butt dyno says that there is a bit more torque further to the right of the curve. It doesn't seem to drop off so soon. I also found myself changing gear slightly less.

The bike was also a bit smoother in stop and go traffic.

All in all - not night and day (which you wouldn't expect anyway), but a definite improvement.

I'll try a bit of autotuning tomorrow or at the weekend and see how it goes.

Then hopefully S&S slip ons next week.....
Thank you for your continued business, if you need any assistance just let us know and we are here to help. Great thread!

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 10-26-2017, 05:54 PM
Dread
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
Thanks for that! I don't suppose you'd be kind enough to send me a copy of your quote at some point ($$$ blacked out) so I can use that as ammunition for the discussion I will be having!

4 hours seems reasonable!
I'll check what my dealer billed me for the work as I picked up the bike last night and didn't even bother to look at labour on the invoice... I was too impatient and just wanted to take it for a rip! I'm at work atm, so I'll have a look in a few hours when i get home.

That said... my first blush impression of the TQ cam and Street Cannons.

TQ cam... HOLLY SHEEET what a difference. The bike feels waaaay more responsive on the throttle, and my god does she pull now... just roll on and hang on. Seriously... the only bike I can compare this too is my old 2001 VMAX. If you are on the fence about the TQ cam, hop off and just get it done. I was at the HD dealer when the tech brought it back from a test ride, and it would have taken surgery to remove the massive grin on his face.

Street Cannons... very disappointed... not much better than the stock sound initially, but may deepen as they break in. It does have a little bark when you crack it, but nothing great. I have heard other examples of M8's with basically the same setup (TQ cam and Street Cannons) that sound pretty damn good (DanBO18's thread), which I was hoping my bike would sound like. Looking forward to hearing the slipons from S&S. I'll post a video soon so you can hear the sound for yourself.

That said... I'm happy the bike is in beast mode now, but will be even happier once I get the sound worked out.

Cheers!

Last edited by Dread; 10-26-2017 at 05:58 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dread:
bbissell (10-26-2017), DanBO18 (10-26-2017), floggedout (01-12-2018), Thingfish (10-26-2017)

Quick Reply: ADM's 2018 114" Fat Bob thread.....