2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2018 Sport Glides

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 06:42 PM
Belloc42
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Landshaper
Thanks Belloc. That looks real good. Nice n neat n clean.
Ride on!
Thanks, Landscaper! Yeah, the top location ended up being pretty inconspicuous. I'd never have thought of it since I never saw any pics like that, but the instructions mentioned it. If you end up doing it, and putting the breather filter over the AC, be sure to cut the tubing a little longer than you think you need, then trim it back a little at a time as you fit it. It's pretty snug in there, and you'll want to get it just right. You do have enough tubing for 2 tries on top, though.

The following users liked this post:
Landshaper (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 08:27 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,757 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by orionpaximusprime

Well I won't be as expansive as the the other poster but I've had my Sport Glide since last april and it's got just over 10k miles on it so here are some thoughts after some miles.

the seat got swapped out immediately for the wife's comfort. This isn't my only bike but it's the one I bought for longer trips (and shitty weather) so a comfortable *** pad for her was a must. You can see in pics I've posted what it looks like but she loves it. I also immediately put 12" apes on it. I should have went to 14" but that's just personal preference. I didn't do it for looks, i hate riding in a hunched position with my hands at my waist. So that's the comfort stuff.

A lot of people talk about the fairing keeping wind off of them. I ride without 90% of the time and when I do put it on, there's no discernible difference. The shift pattern in the manual (which has been discussed in another thread) is garbage. Just put the display on RPMs and you'll see. The bike wants you to wait. You can feel when to shift and then you'll see what the M8 engine is really capable of.

The bags are handy and the locking feature is cool. I've only ever ridden with swing arm bags or throw overs so hard bags are new to me. I realize they aren't as useful as the bags on a street glide but they hold what i need as an everyday rider. It's the quick detach feature that really makes them shine though. Being able to turn the bike into basically a modern day FXR in less than 30 seconds is what sold me on the sport glide. Oh and to answer an issue the other poster made, the bags are water tight in downpours. I ride daily and live in Florida. Those bags have seen some ****.

I installed the Tab Performance slip-on just last night because I had had enough of the sewing machine sound the bike was putting out. I know this is just a preference thing but there would be times the ever present gas cap rattle would be putting out more decibels than the engine and exhaust.

The bike is almost to effortless to ride. I know that's a weird complaint but motorcycles to me should always feel at least a little sketchy. The sport glide handles like a dream with no effort required to drop into the sharpest of curves and it has ZERO vibration at cruising speeds.

I find that I end up adding a half a quart of oil between oil changes.

it's a great all purpose bike and after 10k miles I've had zero mechanical issues.

How does your rear tire look after 10,000 miles?

Old 01-12-2019, 10:23 PM
orionpaximusprime
Intermediate
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bricklayer
it was replaced around 6k because of a screw but front tire has plenty of tread

Old 01-12-2019, 10:33 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bricklayer
FWIW, I checked my mileage tonight and I'm actually at 9600 - I'd say I've still got maybe 2-4K left on the rear. Like Orion said, plenty left on the front - it might last most of another rear before it needs replacing. I've been pretty impressed with these Scorchers.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:45 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Originally Posted by Belloc42
FWIW, I checked my mileage tonight and I'm actually at 9600 - I'd say I've still got maybe 2-4K left on the rear. Like Orion said, plenty left on the front - it might last most of another rear before it needs replacing. I've been pretty impressed with these Scorchers.
Edit to add: Looked at my tires in better light, and the rear was better than I thought, and the front a little worse. I'd still say they've got around 4K left in them, maybe more in this cold weather.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:44 AM
Spearo Hunter
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
I absolutely love my new Sport Glide!
only thing annoying me a bit is as a 6 footer i find the forward controls a tad cramped. Ill be lookiing into forard control extension options. Any suggestions? I'll be discussing this with the dealership in a few days as it is time for her first service.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:25 AM
Cage Free
Tourer
Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

In the parts book the extended forward control kit is number 50500837 for the FLSB. Has a couple brackets, shift link, brake line and hardware. It's gonna sting a bit...

Old 01-18-2019, 03:25 PM
Spearo Hunter
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Cage Free

Old 01-21-2019, 08:51 PM
Moo
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2018 Sport Glide Mods

On my Sport Glide I have the Screamin Eagle 114" Stage 3 Kit which is 114" barrels and pistons, Screamin Eagle Stage 2 Torque cam, Bassani Road Rage 3 Chrome system, Stage 1 Screamin Eagle air cleaner, 114" Air cleaner logo and 114" Breakout Derby cover.The 114" upgrade should be an factory option as it just makes it a much better bike torque wise. I have the 5.5" windscreen also, the Moustache crash bars and would like some Kuryaken running boards. I also have a Touring seat and Holdfast backrest and carrier- not pictured.

Last edited by Moo; 01-21-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:10 PM
Royce
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Great breakdown of the SG, probably the most complete and useful review that I’ve seen anywhere. I rode a Super Glide Custom for 10 years and had no intention of ever getting off my Dyna, Harley kind of changed that though. I worked at a Harley dealership and had the opportunity to ride all of the new Softails as well as endless varieties of Dynas but none captured my imagination like the SG did. I rode and eventually bought the 1st one that came into the dealership. I’ve made very few mods to the bike, but have been looking for ideas, but they’ve been damned hard to find. I added the 5” windscreen and Rox 2” pullback risers along with a Bungking crashbar. One of the things I’m still looking for is a fork/riser bag that I can use for small items like sunglasses. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks again for the great breakdown! Ride safe!

Quick Reply: 2018 Sport Glides