2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2018 Sport Glides

Old 01-11-2019, 03:43 AM
orionpaximusprime
Intermediate
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I won't be as expansive as the the other poster but I've had my Sport Glide since last april and it's got just over 10k miles on it so here are some thoughts after some miles.

the seat got swapped out immediately for the wife's comfort. This isn't my only bike but it's the one I bought for longer trips (and shitty weather) so a comfortable *** pad for her was a must. You can see in pics I've posted what it looks like but she loves it. I also immediately put 12" apes on it. I should have went to 14" but that's just personal preference. I didn't do it for looks, i hate riding in a hunched position with my hands at my waist. So that's the comfort stuff.

A lot of people talk about the fairing keeping wind off of them. I ride without 90% of the time and when I do put it on, there's no discernible difference. The shift pattern in the manual (which has been discussed in another thread) is garbage. Just put the display on RPMs and you'll see. The bike wants you to wait. You can feel when to shift and then you'll see what the M8 engine is really capable of.

The bags are handy and the locking feature is cool. I've only ever ridden with swing arm bags or throw overs so hard bags are new to me. I realize they aren't as useful as the bags on a street glide but they hold what i need as an everyday rider. It's the quick detach feature that really makes them shine though. Being able to turn the bike into basically a modern day FXR in less than 30 seconds is what sold me on the sport glide. Oh and to answer an issue the other poster made, the bags are water tight in downpours. I ride daily and live in Florida. Those bags have seen some ****.

I installed the Tab Performance slip-on just last night because I had had enough of the sewing machine sound the bike was putting out. I know this is just a preference thing but there would be times the ever present gas cap rattle would be putting out more decibels than the engine and exhaust.

The bike is almost to effortless to ride. I know that's a weird complaint but motorcycles to me should always feel at least a little sketchy. The sport glide handles like a dream with no effort required to drop into the sharpest of curves and it has ZERO vibration at cruising speeds.

I find that I end up adding a half a quart of oil between oil changes.

it's a great all purpose bike and after 10k miles I've had zero mechanical issues.

Last edited by orionpaximusprime; 01-11-2019 at 03:51 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by orionpaximusprime:
Bonharcik (02-06-2019), Cage-Free (12-13-2020), Landshaper (01-11-2019), Pete Robertson (12-30-2020), pjbuilder (01-12-2019), rauchman (03-07-2019), Royce (01-21-2019), soldierbot (01-11-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-11-2019, 08:56 AM
Belloc42
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by orionpaximusprime

Well I won't be as expansive as the the other poster but I've had my Sport Glide since last april and it's got just over 10k miles on it so here are some thoughts after some miles.

the seat got swapped out immediately for the wife's comfort. This isn't my only bike but it's the one I bought for longer trips (and shitty weather) so a comfortable *** pad for her was a must. You can see in pics I've posted what it looks like but she loves it. I also immediately put 12" apes on it. I should have went to 14" but that's just personal preference. I didn't do it for looks, i hate riding in a hunched position with my hands at my waist. So that's the comfort stuff.

A lot of people talk about the fairing keeping wind off of them. I ride without 90% of the time and when I do put it on, there's no discernible difference. The shift pattern in the manual (which has been discussed in another thread) is garbage. Just put the display on RPMs and you'll see. The bike wants you to wait. You can feel when to shift and then you'll see what the M8 engine is really capable of.

The bags are handy and the locking feature is cool. I've only ever ridden with swing arm bags or throw overs so hard bags are new to me. I realize they aren't as useful as the bags on a street glide but they hold what i need as an everyday rider. It's the quick detach feature that really makes them shine though. Being able to turn the bike into basically a modern day FXR in less than 30 seconds is what sold me on the sport glide. Oh and to answer an issue the other poster made, the bags are water tight in downpours. I ride daily and live in Florida. Those bags have seen some ****.

I installed the Tab Performance slip-on just last night because I had had enough of the sewing machine sound the bike was putting out. I know this is just a preference thing but there would be times the ever present gas cap rattle would be putting out more decibels than the engine and exhaust.

The bike is almost to effortless to ride. I know that's a weird complaint but motorcycles to me should always feel at least a little sketchy. The sport glide handles like a dream with no effort required to drop into the sharpest of curves and it has ZERO vibration at cruising speeds.

I find that I end up adding a half a quart of oil between oil changes.

it's a great all purpose bike and after 10k miles I've had zero mechanical issues.
Hey, man, great post, and nice bike – you mention several useful things.

I haven’t seen the thread on the shift points. Yeah, they are definitely low compared to what the bike seems to like, but I figured HD probably wouldn’t give shift points that lugged the engine to the point of bottom end damage, so I was interested to see that they say it’s ok to go so low.

I don’t see a ton of difference with the fairing till I’m over 70, and the higher I go, the more it matters. 85 is about the highest I cruise, and it makes a lot of difference then. Just my experience, and I’m sure your height affects that too.

I’m really glad to hear that the bags have been waterproof for you. I’ll feel more confident if I ever manage to work a trip in.

Try crimping your gas cap, or pop a thick hair band under the sides – if you’ve been riding with that for a while, you won’t belief the relief!

Your comment about how effortless the bike is to ride is spot on. It’s just a very balanced design.

What level sound did you do on the Tab, and how do you like it?

Does your oil go from full to half, and is it coming out your breathers? Curious since there are so many threads discussing this, and because with mine on half (measured hot) I never need to add any. There’s still enough to soak the air filter, but that doesn’t take much.

I see you have a Sundowner, and you seem to like it. It may be too long since you’ve ridden with the stock seat, but does the Sundowner sit you up, or lean you back compared to stock? Closer to or further from the bars? I’m looking for neutral-upright, and it’s hard to tell from pictures.

Btw, meant to add that I’d installed Love Jugs Mini-Mites and I’ve found that they make a huge difference in Houston traffic (which I do a 1 hr.+ commute in each way). Not really necessary in more open road riding.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:11 AM
orionpaximusprime
Intermediate

I'll definitely give those cap tricks a try thanks! I went with the loudest option the "zombie" baffle. It's not near as loud as a set of straight pipes but it's a big difference.

the sundowner sits me about 1-2 inches closer which is a bummer. I'm 5'11" but my legs are longer than my torso so it makes my forwards feel like forward mids.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:55 AM
Belloc42
Tourer

I'll definitely give those cap tricks a try thanks! I went with the loudest option the "zombie" baffle. It's not near as loud as a set of straight pipes but it's a big difference.

the sundowner sits me about 1-2 inches closer which is a bummer. I'm 5'11" but my legs are longer than my torso so it makes my forwards feel like forward mids.
Hey, that's good to know, thanks! Do you find that you're sitting pretty upright, or does it put you in the "cruiser slouch?"

Old 01-11-2019, 02:06 PM
orionpaximusprime
Intermediate

Well the bars are a bigger culprit of the slouch imo. As i mentioned i put 12s on. If I'd put 14s id probably be sitting a little straighter. Hell I'd probably slouch regardless.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:33 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Well the bars are a bigger culprit of the slouch imo. As i mentioned i put 12s on. If I'd put 14s id probably be sitting a little straighter. Hell I'd probably slouch regardless.
Ha, fair enough, thanks!

Old 01-11-2019, 03:14 PM
Landshaper
Novice
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Belloc42,

would you mind mind posting a pic of the new air cleaner and breather? I am interested in the same mod. Thanks

Old 01-11-2019, 03:18 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Originally Posted by Landshaper
Hey Belloc42,

would you mind mind posting a pic of the new air cleaner and breather? I am interested in the same mod. Thanks
Landshaper, you bet, I'll post it as soon as I get home.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:47 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Originally Posted by Landshaper
Hey Belloc42,

Took these at the gas station on the way home. Sorry it's a bit dirty. Tried to show that the breather filter fits below the tank and behind the air cleaner. There was no room under the AC because of the rear exhaust wrapping around the cam chest. You can run it down and out some other place too, of course. The 606 kit is just the standard Vance and Hines Stage 1 kit and filter, and I think DK makes the cover (there are lots to choose from) and the breather kit. I actually ran into several snags with the V&H kit but finally got it fitted up, and Dwayne from DK called me the next morning after I'd emailed and explained the problems. He sorted it all out. First time I've bought anything from DK, but it's about the quickest and best response I've ever gotten from a retailer. And their breather kit was perfect.

Attached Thumbnails 2018 Sport Glides-img_20190111_164311.jpg   2018 Sport Glides-img_20190111_164318.jpg   2018 Sport Glides-img_20190111_164332.jpg  

Last edited by Belloc42; 01-11-2019 at 05:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Belloc42:
Landshaper (01-11-2019), Royce (01-21-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 06:24 PM
Landshaper
Novice
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Belloc. That looks real good. Nice n neat n clean.
Ride on!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Sport Glides