Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2018+ Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models-206/)
-   -   2018 Sport Glides (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models/1215437-2018-sport-glides.html)

Royce 01-21-2018 09:50 PM

2018 Sport Glides

Any Sport Glide owners out there? What are your impressions of your new ride? What mods have you made?

badcooky 01-21-2018 11:30 PM

I think there's one or two but they're here infrequently.

Oldskewl 01-22-2018 10:48 AM

They should make a discussion forum for those bikes separate from all the rest. Put it right next to the 500-750 street forum.
Their selling like hotcakes at a NY steakhouse.

cvaria 01-22-2018 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Oldskewl (Post 17019896)
They should make a discussion forum for those bikes separate from all the rest. Put it right next to the 500-750 street forum.
Their selling like hotcakes at a NY steakhouse.

I'm actually considering one. Waiting on a 114 s or something. They kkinda fd. Them up and. There's no way I would buy a 107 for 17+ i dont buy new anyway but, it just feels wrong

GPHDXLC 01-22-2018 04:08 PM

I like the Sport Glide, if I was buying right now that would be it.

timhdfl 01-23-2018 11:23 PM

I bought one and I'm loving the hell out of it. No mods yet besides cosmetic (Defiance collection stuff). After 4 touring bikes, I'm having so much more fun on the new softail.

rauchman 01-24-2018 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by timhdfl (Post 17025244)
I bought one and I'm loving the hell out of it. No mods yet besides cosmetic (Defiance collection stuff). After 4 touring bikes, I'm having so much more fun on the new softail.

Curious if you had test ridden other Softails and how the Sport Glide compares to them?

I was originally put off by this bike not being a modernized FXRT, but it's growing on me.....a lot

Oldskewl 01-24-2018 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by cvaria (Post 17020060)
I'm actually considering one. Waiting on a 114 s or something. They kkinda fd. Them up and. There's no way I would buy a 107 for 17+ i dont buy new anyway but, it just feels wrong

It's like a poormans bagger. Even though they ain't cheap it's how they come off. Just my 2 cents.

cvaria 01-24-2018 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Oldskewl (Post 17025752)
It's like a poormans bagger. Even though they ain't cheap it's how they come off. Just my 2 cents.

considering i have no interest is a sloppy bagger, it's great in my eyes. And there is no bagger with inverted front end stock.

Royce 01-24-2018 10:56 AM

I’ve ridden all of the ‘18 Softails. The new frame, combined with the new suspension system and the 107, make great bikes. Out of all of them, the Sport Glide and Heritage offer the best ride and handling characteristics, IMO.

timhdfl 01-24-2018 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by rauchman (Post 17025586)
Curious if you had test ridden other Softails and how the Sport Glide compares to them?

I was originally put off by this bike not being a modernized FXRT, but it's growing on me.....a lot

I didn't actually. When the first 2018 Softail models came out I had no interest in any them. Just didn't click with me for some reason. They're all beautiful bikes, but none of them made me want to run to the dealer and ride one. But when I saw the Sport Glide announcement, it just called to me. Went and looked at it one weekend, but talked myself out of it. Nothing wrong with my 2012 Street Glide, I told myself. But I was back to test ride it the next weekend, and took it home that day smiling from ear to ear.

Sorry I can't provide a comparison.

Royce 01-24-2018 09:50 PM

My feeling exactly Tim!

cvaria 01-25-2018 06:59 AM

san diego customs is tearing into one right now.

rvkersh 01-26-2018 06:46 AM

I just purchased one last night, they are delivering it today. Can't wait, feel like a kid in a candy shop

badcooky 01-26-2018 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by rvkersh (Post 17031461)
I just purchased one last night, they are delivering it today. Can't wait, feel like a kid in a candy shop

Awesome ,well done man.

Gasguzlr 01-27-2018 09:41 AM

I bought one in november, did a stage 3 right away, but have not ridden the bike yet, since we are locked on a deep freeze up here and will be for several more months. I figured until I do, there’s not much point in posting anything as I have nothing really to offer, other than voice my frustration at fake global warming.

However, I think it’s going to be an awesome bike. Sitting on it (like, every day), the riding position feels perfect for me and I love the looks.

That’s it for now, cheers guys

R

OldPhat 01-27-2018 11:11 AM

To me it looks like it can use a 7 inch re-curved windshield from LRS, for on the Highway use.
A lot of Riders will look at the Sport Glide as a light weight Touring Bike, like the Switchback.

John

ktp1598 01-27-2018 03:25 PM

I can't compare but, I wish I could've looked at it before I bought my LR. I love the looks.

GPHDXLC 01-27-2018 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by OldPhat (Post 17034825)
To me it looks like it can use a 7 inch re-curved windshield from LRS, for on the Highway use.
A lot of Riders will look at the Sport Glide as a light weight Touring Bike, like the Switchback.

John

I would like to see a 6 or 7" re-curved windshield for the Sport Glide. If you look at the saddlebags in person they work well and hold more then they look like they would. Could be my next bike!!!

kkiley 01-27-2018 09:45 PM

I gotta say, if I was buying, that Sport Glide would be on my list. I always thought if I sold the FB I would go Street Glide, but the Sport does it for me. Waiting to hear some riding feedback.

JiiHoo 01-28-2018 05:21 AM

I have a 2016 48 and thinking about upgrading to sport glide. Been waiting for some threads to appear in here.

Idahochris 01-28-2018 01:57 PM

I had always been a sport bike guy - BMW R1100S, Triumph Sprint and now Aprilia RSV4. I bought a Low Rider S to cruise with my Harley buddies. Different but fun to cruise with friends. I test rode the 2018 Fat Bob and liked the handling and power of the M8 114. So - I traded the Low Rider S in on a 2018 Sport Glide. We are still buried in snow so it is at the dealer getting the Stage III upgrades. Jonesing bad to get it on the road. We will see......

moparnut72 01-28-2018 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by ktp1598 (Post 17035309)
I can't compare but, I wish I could've looked at it before I bought my LR. I love the looks.

Man I love the new Low Riders. If I hadn't bought my Slim I would be all over one.
kk

saddlebag 01-28-2018 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Idahochris (Post 17037745)
I had always been a sport bike guy - BMW R1100S, Triumph Sprint and now Aprilia RSV4. I bought a Low Rider S to cruise with my Harley buddies. Different but fun to cruise with friends. I test rode the 2018 Fat Bob and liked the handling and power of the M8 114. So - I traded the Low Rider S in on a 2018 Sport Glide. We are still buried in snow so it is at the dealer getting the Stage III upgrades. Jonesing bad to get it on the road. We will see......

I'm with ya. This was the bike I always wanted Victory to make. The Hammer front end with a Vegas rear end. Should be a great handling cruiser. Love the cruise control too. The bags and windscreen are nice touches, but I could live without them for the extra cost.
Black Harleys are too cliche for me, but that's about all that's out locally so far.
Now if they could put out a nice maroon one in the $14-15k range ala Street Bob, I could get very interested. I rode the new Fat Bob and thought it was a barrel of monkeys. Prefer the bigger tank, non-balloon tires, and better coverage fenders on Sport Glide though.

Qdog002 01-28-2018 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by rvkersh (Post 17031461)

Where did you get it from? Harv`s? Cycle Stop?

ktp1598 01-28-2018 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by moparnut72 (Post 17038193)
Man I love the new Low Riders. If I hadn't bought my Slim I would be all over one.
kk

I will say I'm completely satisfied with my 18 Lowrider. The sport Glide probably would not have been in my budget anyway. Still love the way it looks though!

abadley 01-28-2018 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Idahochris (Post 17037745)

So why the Sport Glide over the Fat Bob?

Idahochris 01-29-2018 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by abadley (Post 17038535)
So why the Sport Glide over the Fat Bob?

1 - larger fuel tank - 5 gallons compared to 3.6
2 - detachable saddlebags
3 - cruise control
4 - I didn’t like the fat front tire

I’m still wondering about the single front brake though

abadley 01-29-2018 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Idahochris (Post 17039296)
1 - larger fuel tank - 5 gallons compared to 3.6
2 - detachable saddlebags
3 - cruise control
4 - I didn’t like the fat front tire

I’m still wondering about the single front brake though

All valid points! I really like the Fat Bob but torn between other models.

FatBob2018 01-29-2018 09:51 AM

For those deciding between the two like abadley, there may be ways to address the shortcomings:
1) Cruise Control is available as an option for the Fat Bob; I got it from Surdyke for about $200. You have to have it enabled by the dealer, so if you install it yourself that'll add a half hour of dealer labor.

2) The larger fuel tank is definitely a factor. I get about 140 miles before having to refill on the Fat Bob, I sure wish I had an extra 1.4 gallons! I have a Gasflask for longer trips, but definitely wish I had the larger tank. If you think you're going to be doing a LOT of touring, you could always consider something like a TourTank. That extends the size of your gas tank by three gallons, and it feeds directly into your bike's tank so you have a usable long range of 6.6 gallons.

3) You can get detachable saddlebags on the Fat Bob, but the exhaust does complicate it a bit. You can get a variety of detachable left-side bags, ends cuoio and LeatherPros both offer options including some downright big ones. But on the right side, you're pretty limited because the upswept exhaust leaves limited space. Ends cuoio makes a very little bag called the "beat", probably only about big enough to fit a sweatshirt in. One of the members on this forum has it. My solution was to mount a swingarm bag for daily stuff, but for big luggage I decided to just forget saddlebags, I got the Harley Premium Rolling bag. It slips over the sissy bar, and it has 50 liters of capacity. That's as big as the top trunk on a Gold Wing. Obviously not as clean and every-day appropriate as saddlebags, but I use it as an option on a long trip -- lots of luggage space, but don't have to clutter up the Fat Bob's lines with saddlebags. It's more luggage space than a set of saddlebags, it's less expensive than a single saddlebag, and it's rolling for hauling into the hotel. May not fit everyone's needs, but it seemed like a good choice for mine.

4) Fat front tire -- yeah, that's a divisive factor. It's one of the reasons I love the Fat Bob's styling, so for me it was a big plus.

I like the concept behind the Sport Glide a lot. It's exactly the kind of bike I want -- dress it up for touring, strip it down once you get there. But the Sport Glide itself didn't speak to me, whereas the Fat Bob possessed me, so I'm taking efforts to build it into a similar style bike -- the same touring capability as a Heritage or Sport Glide, but the ability to strip it down in just a couple of minutes and return it to its asphalt-shredding, Mad Max roots.

Seriously though -- all the '18 Softails are unique and a huge step forward for Harley. If the Fat Bob didn't exist I think I'd still be torn between the Heritage, the Deluxe, Sport Glide and the Fat Boy.

rvkersh 01-29-2018 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Qdog002 (Post 17038331)
Where did you get it from? Harv`s? Cycle Stop?

I bought it from Arkport cycles. Had it out Saturday, very happy with ride and handling, power is good also. Bags hold way more than my Limited. The clam shell opening of the bags are wide enough for half helmet. Nice bike.

Oto Kakhidze 01-31-2018 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by ktp1598 (Post 17038392)
I will say I'm completely satisfied with my 18 Lowrider. The sport Glide probably would not have been in my budget anyway. Still love the way it looks though!

Among the new softails Low Rider has second best lean angle, with mid controls and taller seat - its actually sportier than Sport Glide.
Also chromed out look, dual analog speedo+tach and that eyebrow visor - man, your bike looks great!
years will pass and 2018 FXLR will look like a through-back to 70-s.

P.S. nice color!

moparnut72 01-31-2018 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Oto Kakhidze (Post 17047683)
Among the new softails Low Rider has second best lean angle, with mid controls and taller seat - its actually sportier than Sport Glide.
Also chromed out look, dual analog speedo+tach and that eyebrow visor - man, your bike looks great!
years will pass and 2018 FXLR will look like a through-back to 70-s.

P.S. nice color!

Definitely a beautiful bike. I haven't ridden one but I have sat on a couple. Everything fits me to a T. I bought the Slim because I like the looks and because I am getting old and don't have the strength in my legs that I used to the low seat​ is nice.
kk

ppilotmike 02-12-2018 05:44 PM

I was all but through with the MoCo, but the Sport Glide drew me back in, bought mine this morning. Now if it would warm up and the salt would get washed off the road i'd be ready to do some riding.

Idahochris 02-12-2018 09:42 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...898019ded.jpeg

With the new Bassani exhaust

bikerlaw 02-12-2018 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Idahochris (Post 17086032)

That's just a gorgeous motorcycle.

blackSP 02-13-2018 11:34 AM

Love the new sport look and great pipes!

Punisher2000 02-15-2018 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by timhdfl (Post 17025244)

I'm with you brother, I have owned 3 Streetglides and a few Ultra Classics. I bought the Sport Glide and I am enjoying the hell out of it also. I did the air cleaner, slip on and tuner and thats it. Great bike and a great ride. Plenty of power.

timhdfl 02-16-2018 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Punisher2000 (Post 17095394)
I'm with you brother, I have owned 3 Streetglides and a few Ultra Classics. I bought the Sport Glide and I am enjoying the hell out of it also. I did the air cleaner, slip on and tuner and thats it. Great bike and a great ride. Plenty of power.

I'll probably be doing the same thing soon! I'm really only after improved sound, since I'm happy with the stock performance, but if I'm changing exhaust, I prefer to do air cleaner and tuner with it.

adm 02-17-2018 12:33 PM

I saw my first Sport Glide in the flesh yesterday.

I liked the quick detach fairing, but it definitely needs a taller screen. As the Sport Glide uses the same inverted front end as my 2018 Fat Bob, it wouldn't take much for HD to make a version for the Fatty. I'd buy one!

I didn't like the bags though - they looked very plasticky to me.