Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2018+ Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models-206/)
-   -   2018 Heritage with Viking Tour Pack (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models/1217010-2018-heritage-with-viking-tour-pack.html)

Toolmaster 12-15-2018 07:30 AM

yuk. IMO

LXT 12-15-2018 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Toolmaster (Post 17892541)
yuk. IMO

that's my feelings about Harleys new Yamah….I mean Heritage softail.

Toolmaster 12-15-2018 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by tmac00333 (Post 17055893)
Take it off!

When you take a trip, put it on!

I agree, The design is very good and as a unit itself it is very attractive. I am used to not having anything so there's that, but It does look big, because it is, and then Harley version is too.

tx freebird 12-24-2018 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Toolmaster (Post 17893942)
I agree, The design is very good and as a unit itself it is very attractive. I am used to not having anything so there's that, but It does look big, because it is, and then Harley version is too.

For comparison

H-D Heritage tour pak. 18 3/4 X 18 1/2 X 12 1/2 inches
This Viking. 20 1/2 X 18 1/2 X 12. inches

I am seriously considering installing this Viking in the solo position for longer trips

tx freebird 12-24-2018 09:00 AM

If anyone is thinking about this tour pak, I just bought one for $270 plus shipping with a 30% online Christmas discount!!
:icon_snowman:

sped 12-24-2018 11:46 AM

I just did mine yesterday. It is nice. I'm hoping that my riding buddy with the locksmith business can duplicate the key. Other than that it's definitely a keeper. That's an XL HJC full face in there for reference.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...355c79c03f.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...d37777cc32.jpg

vabikersteve 12-26-2018 09:31 AM

Viking trunk pack

I'm really liking the extra space the Viking trunk bag provides. Attached are some lousy pictures taken in the garage. BTW, I called Viking's 800-number to say I had only received one key and the agent, Julio, apologized and Fedexed a blank key to me for free.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas season and safe riding ahead.

Steve
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...83b161d9ba.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...8f83b683e4.jpg

sped 12-26-2018 03:48 PM

Right after reading Vabiker/Steve's post I contacted Viking Bags via their chat system and had a conversation with Steve. He is sending out a key blank to me soon. My suggestion is to do the process over the phone and request one up front while placing the order.

vabikersteve 12-27-2018 07:00 AM

The Viking bag looks great with your black paint, and I'm glad Viking is sending you the key blank. My locksmith charged me $8 yesterday to duplicate. I guess my one "complaint" about the bag is that it's always in the locked position (from what I can tell, at least).

Steve

sped 12-27-2018 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by vabikersteve (Post 17916791)
The Viking bag looks great with your black paint, and I'm glad Viking is sending you the key blank. Steve

Me too. Thanks for the tip.

How do you like the rear bag guards? Did you do the install yourself? I think those are on my short list for add-ons.

ChinoSlim 12-27-2018 12:49 PM

I think it goes well with the overall look of your bike.

vabikersteve 12-28-2018 06:37 AM

I do like the rear guards and am lucky enough to have a skilled pal who rides a Harley and owns a torque wrench. Working with Ray, we got the guards on in about an hour, as I recall. I also like the black plastic guards which protect the actual guard if the bike tips. You can barely see them on our blacked-out bikes.

They're available here:
http://customlevercovers.com/pro-guards/

tx freebird 01-02-2019 07:10 PM

My Viking has landed

My Viking Tour Pak arrived today and I am very pleased with the quality. So tomorrow, I'll get smaller bolts to fit the H-D solo tour pad rack, followup with Viking on the extra key, and get everything installed. Thanks for the good advice on this thread

[QUOTE=vabikersteve;17916791 I guess my one "complaint" about the bag is that it's always in the locked position (from what I can tell, at least).
Steve[/QUOTE]

I agree. I am got to check around and see if it is possible to replace the lock and mechanism without totally screwing up the lid. I remember push button lock on an old H-D leather tour pak from a Road King Classic that could be closed in either the locked or unlocked position.

Phil13 01-03-2019 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by sped (Post 17916885)
How do you like the rear bag guards? Did you do the install yourself? I think those are on my short list for add-ons.

I've just fitted them on my '19 Heritage. I read some posts where people seem to have had trouble undoing the rear footrest mount screws, so I was prepared for a battle with them, but they were no trouble to release. You will need a 4 inch T45 torx bit (an 18" breaker bar is also handy). Any shorter than 4" will not be able to reach the screw head which is buried down in the footrest support. While I loathe torx fixings, these screws are at least socket headed, so there is plenty of 'meat' for the bit to engage with.

Oh, and the fixings kit supplied with the guards was missing two of the screws, so it's probably worth checking them before you leave the dealership.

vabikersteve 01-03-2019 06:09 AM

I also remember that push-button lock on the leather H-D Tour-Pak for my 2013 Deluxe. I was a little surprised to see that Viking is using the lock-only mechanism.
I agree with you about this thread – some great advice!
Ride safely in 2019,

Steve

sped 01-03-2019 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Phil13 (Post 17932085)
I've just fitted them on my '19 Heritage. I read some posts where people seem to have had trouble undoing the rear footrest mount screws, so I was prepared for a battle with them, but they were no trouble to release. You will need a 4 inch T45 torx bit (an 18" breaker bar is also handy). Any shorter than 4" will not be able to reach the screw head which is buried down in the footrest support. While I loathe torx fixings, these screws are at least socket headed, so there is plenty of 'meat' for the bit to engage with.

Oh, and the fixings kit supplied with the guards was missing two of the screws, so it's probably worth checking them before you leave the dealership.

A 4" T45? Where would I get something like that?

Phil13 01-03-2019 07:39 AM

Help Jeff Bezos rule the world!

sped 01-03-2019 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Phil13 (Post 17932359)

Thanks for nothing. That's a metric T-45 clearly showing 100mm. I'm working on my Harley. Luckily they had one at their US site! LOL!!!

Love Amazon. Thanks for the link Phil. Ride safe buddy!!

trainedmnky 01-03-2019 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by vabikersteve (Post 17919290)
I do like the rear guards and am lucky enough to have a skilled pal who rides a Harley and owns a torque wrench. Working with Ray, we got the guards on in about an hour, as I recall. I also like the black plastic guards which protect the actual guard if the bike tips. You can barely see them on our blacked-out bikes.

They're available here:
http://customlevercovers.com/pro-guards/

I like the idea of these, the link is for a generic part it seems. How's the fitment? Was there any adjustment needed to get them to fit properly?

FrankEV 01-03-2019 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by sped (Post 17916885)
How do you like the rear bag guards?....I think those are on my short list for add-ons.

Been following this thread regarding the rear bag guards. Have wanted to put them on my Cherry for a while now.

When looking ON-line to see if there was a less exspensive product but could not find an aftermarket product so I was stuck with going H-D.

However I found them on this H-D site for a fairly good discount and free shipping as it was still over $150. https://shopbigskyharley.com/collect...uards-90201315

Decided to order them from them as you very rarely see dealers discounting anything. Kinda wants to make me move to Montana, like that will never happen! :icon_lolsign:

Phil13 01-03-2019 11:55 AM

What decided me to spend £230 for these rear guards was a You tube video by someone with a new Heritage who had a minor spill on it. He said he was fitting the guards because amongst other things one saddlebag had needed to be replaced after his spill and cost him over a $1000 to replace. I thought, 'no way, must have misheard him'. Then I checked the price in the UK for one complete saddlebag - £823! Each! Guards ordered ASP.

tx freebird 01-03-2019 06:17 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...37a679f19.jpeg
The Viking Tourpak installation was fairly easy. If you are using either of the H-D tourpak racks, the Viking hardware is way too large. I used 5/16 coarse thread with nylon locking nuts. I bought 1 1/2 in length, but I inch would have been easier.

If you are careful locating your drilled holes, you can get about 3/4 inch forward-back adjustment. I took a quick spin around the block and I believe this set up will work well for longer trips. I'll revert back to the solo luggage rack for daily fun. If I leave the tour pak on very long, I've learned that I will add "stuff" I rarely need and find myself carrying an additional forty ponds around. I downsized from touring bikes to get away from that.

There are no key blanks around here so I order a couple from Viking. The only local key grinders in a store were Home Depot and WalMart and with limited capability for single side key grinding only. All other locksmiths listed seem to be mobile and less interested in making keys from blanks than helping folks locked out of cars, etc.

vabikersteve 01-04-2019 06:39 AM

Plastic Guard Protectors

Originally Posted by trainedmnky (Post 17932634)
I like the idea of these, the link is for a generic part it seems. How's the fitment? Was there any adjustment needed to get them to fit properly?

They're a good fit for the Heritage guards - I'd wait for a warm day to slip them on because the plastic can seem a bit brittle. Having them warm makes it a little easier to just slip them on.

Steve

sped 01-04-2019 09:39 AM

I have no idea how they determine their pricing either. I generally use www.surdyke.com for my OEM stuff when I can and they're always cheaper than the HD website. They were higher ($6) than BigSky on these, but lower on others. One comment I'll make about Surdyke is they always seem to have shipping free for orders over $149 with the caveat that it only applies to the first 20 pounds of merchandise. The second thing I'll say is that if you decide to order from Surdyke then don't be in a hurry. It will take a while. Luckily I'm retired and stopped being in a hurry a few years back. LOL

FrankEV 01-04-2019 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by sped (Post 17935127)
I have no idea how they determine their pricing either. I generally use www.surdyke.com for my OEM stuff when I can and they're always cheaper than the HD website. They were higher ($6) than BigSky on these, but lower on others. One comment I'll make about Surdyke is they always seem to have shipping free for orders over $149 with the caveat that it only applies to the first 20 pounds of merchandise. The second thing I'll say is that if you decide to order from Surdyke then don't be in a hurry. It will take a while. Luckily I'm retired and stopped being in a hurry a few years back. LOL

Placed order with Big Sky yesterday. Just got notification they were shipped, so quick responce. UPS ground, so it will take a few days, that is If the UPS trucks can make it through all the snow out that-a-way. :icon_snow: :icon_lolsign:

sped 01-04-2019 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by FrankEV (Post 17935357)
Placed order with Big Sky yesterday. Just got notification they were shipped, so quick responce.

Nice! I am going to take a long look at that place. I really like Surdyke but man they are slow. Looks like I need to set up an account.

Please let me know about the install. I think these will look good on our bikes for sure.

And man after a long time on touring bikes I'm loving my Softail Heritage. What an awesome ride.

Keep me posted if you would.

Thanks and ride safe.

sped 01-04-2019 07:11 PM

Hey Frank! Can I ask how much shipping was?

FrankEV 01-05-2019 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by sped (Post 17936517)
Hey Frank! Can I ask how much shipping was?

Free for orders over $150

sped 01-05-2019 05:15 PM

Nice! Same as Surdyke and much faster shipping at that. Thanks I can't wait to see how they look.

sped 01-08-2019 07:06 PM

For anyone running the Viking trunk...have you come up with a liner that fits inside pretty well?

sped 01-12-2019 05:07 PM

As promised by Viking, my key blank came in today. Now to go get a new one cut next week.

LXT 01-15-2019 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by sped (Post 17945859)
For anyone running the Viking trunk...have you come up with a liner that fits inside pretty well?

What I did with mine was ordered needlers foam - think that's what its called? I shaped it to fit in the trunk & cut out sections from the foam to fit my tool kit, glasses, gloves, etc - whats nice is everything lays "in" the foam so to speak and anything you need to lay in the trunk sits on top of the foam, I hated going on a run & all the stuff in the trunk was all over the place, my wife has all kinds of little things in there from ear muffs to hairclips - so it keeps everything from sliding around and organizes it somewhat.

I was going to put a black puck light in the trunk on the lid - not sure how that would stay though, at night would be nice to have light when you need something.

Originally Posted by sped (Post 17955394)
As promised by Viking, my key blank came in today. Now to go get a new one cut next week.

I remember reading a long time ago about some one saying to ask for a key blank & I thought why? a locksmith will fix me up - Not so huh? that was why I said to make sure when getting this trunk to get the spare key blank, they were on back order when I got my trunk. that key Viking uses is different - I asked my locksmith about changing out the lock assembly & that is a nightmare too, the way the lock works with the linkage to lock it is strange as I was told and would cost a lot to change out - Keys are cheaper - that's why I have a total of 3 for my trunk....LOL

Nice bike sped - hope some of my ideas or babbling helped a bit? ride safe.

sped 01-15-2019 07:08 PM

Thanks LXT. When I said liner I was referring to a bag I could pack and put inside the trunk. You've got some good ideas though!

bikerep2147 01-19-2019 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by kneesinthebreeze24 (Post 17057657)
Functional, but I don't like the look personally. I like the Heritage best with NO BAGS, No WINDSHIELD for day to day riding.

I like the idea of having a tour pack for my Heritage, but I'd have to stick with the matching factory pack. Right now I have the luggage rack and it works with a day bag for most trips.

I also love the look of the bike stripped down:
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...358fc9f7b2.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...af921c631b.jpg

HP1 02-02-2019 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Phil13 (Post 17932916)
What decided me to spend £230 for these rear guards was a You tube video by someone with a new Heritage who had a minor spill on it. He said he was fitting the guards because amongst other things one saddlebag had needed to be replaced after his spill and cost him over a $1000 to replace. I thought, 'no way, must have misheard him'. Then I checked the price in the UK for one complete saddlebag - £823! Each! Guards ordered ASP.

That's ridiculous. For that sort of money I would be looking to buy a pair of bags with a much better design. I would like some bags that were larger inside and q.d. I would happily take them off and just use them for my European camping trips.

Phil13 02-04-2019 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by HP1 (Post 18006657)
That's ridiculous. For that sort of money I would be looking to buy a pair of bags with a much better design.

Completely agree, on the scale of, good , bit pricey, bloody expensive and 'You robbing b*stards', they're definitely in the latter catagory.

mybikeandme 02-23-2019 02:16 PM

Looks great.
I have the same bike and just purchased the Viking trunk. Did you use the brackets that came with it? Or did you mount it directly to the rack?

tx freebird 02-23-2019 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by mybikeandme (Post 18058441)
Looks great.
I have the same bike and just purchased the Viking trunk. Did you use the brackets that came with it? Or did you mount it directly to the rack?

I use the Viking when taking longer trips than take if off for daily riding. I switch between these configurations so I have a riders backrest either way, The Viking bag picture was before I added stage 1,

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...8afb27ca3f.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...917a8062ce.jpg

northern 02-23-2019 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by mybikeandme (Post 18058441)
Looks great.

I purchased the Viking solo bag for my bike. It came with no hardware or the bracket. I contacted them and they did send it. It is Chinese, I thought it was made in Minnesota with that name but It came from California with china written all over it https://www.hdforums.com/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif

tx freebird 02-24-2019 07:27 AM

My tour-pad
came with mounting hardware, but I did not use it. I mounted the bad directly to the H-D solo rack for the Heritage with hardware I bought at Home Depot. I am very pleased with the quality - it is much better made than the H-D Heritage tour-pak, IMO