2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 05:53 PM
Philzy
Novice
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Handlebars

I need new bars on my ‘19 FLHCS. I’ve tried repositioning the stock bars. It moved them an inch or so closer but also lowered them. I’ve been all over the inter web looking at bars but I don’t think I have enough info to make a good choice. I need my new bars to come back 2-3” while staying close to the stock height.

I’ve measured the stock bars quite a few times after watching how-to videos but I’m not convinced I have it right. I measured 11-1/2” rise and 8-1/2” pullback.

I called a two local-ish dealers and both said the part number for the stock bars was 55800677, both said the measurements weren’t in the system, and neither one had a bike they could measure for me.

Can anyone tell me if I’m right? I need a starting point before I know what to look for.

I figure if if three or four of the smartest people here can measure their bars, then maybe the average will get me close enough.

I’m not worried about cables. Already planning on replacing them.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:26 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Philzy
I need new bars on my ‘19 FLHCS. I’ve tried repositioning the stock bars. It moved them an inch or so closer but also lowered them. I’ve been all over the inter web looking at bars but I don’t think I have enough info to make a good choice. I need my new bars to come back 2-3” while staying close to the stock height.

I’ve measured the stock bars quite a few times after watching how-to videos but I’m not convinced I have it right. I measured 11-1/2” rise and 8-1/2” pullback.

I called a two local-ish dealers and both said the part number for the stock bars was 55800677, both said the measurements weren’t in the system, and neither one had a bike they could measure for me.

Can anyone tell me if I’m right? I need a starting point before I know what to look for.

I figure if if three or four of the smartest people here can measure their bars, then maybe the average will get me close enough.

Just wondering, is it your bars or your seat?

I too had to get much closer to my bars because I'm vertically challanged. The H-D Reach seat moved me much closer. After that I still needed some pull back and adjusted the handle bars to lean them back somewhat, but this did lower them a tad too much. I added pivoting risers to move them up a little and back even a tad more. Now I can sit upright in the seat and reach the bars in comfort.

You did not mention having difficulty reaching the foot controls or the ground, but I had that problem as well. the Reach seat helped with that also, but still had to have my Cherry lowered to be REAL comfortable.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:04 AM
tx freebird
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I can help, but not until Tuesday because I am out of town now. I went through the exact thought process you did, then I went my dealership and measured handlebars on several bikes using the same methodology that I interpreted from the fitment chart. As you noted, most stock handlebars part numbers are not included in this chart. I wrote all of these measurements down in a notepad, but I don't have it with me now.

I will send you my stock handlebar measurements Tuesday, and hopefully others will reply also.

Originally Posted by Philzy

Old 10-06-2018, 10:26 AM
Philzy
Novice

Originally Posted by FrankEV
Just wondering, is it your bars or your seat?

You did not mention having difficulty reaching the foot controls or the ground,
Appreciate the input but I have a seat I like, Mustang w/backrest, and there’s no difficulty with the controls or boots on the ground. I’m just looking for new bars. Not trying to sound like a dick. It just comes naturally.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:31 AM
Philzy
Novice

Originally Posted by tx freebird
I can help, but not until Tuesday because I am out of town now. I went through the exact thought process you did, then I went my dealership and measured handlebars on several bikes using the same methodology that I interpreted from the fitment chart. As you noted, most stock handlebars part numbers are not included in this chart. I wrote all of these measurements down in a notepad, but I don't have it with me now.

I will send you my stock handlebar measurements Tuesday, and hopefully others will reply also.
Tuesday is not a problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’d measure other bikes myself but the nearest dealer is in Yakima,WA....2+ hours away. They’re not huge and don’t have much of a selection.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:01 PM
WDHGS114
Novice
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IanMass

don’t get it
no I was typing from my phone and my reply comment didn’t correlate with the correct post—but I couldn’t delete the post entirely so I just marked it as my error. Not directed toward you. 👍🏻

Old 10-08-2018, 04:22 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

My Mustang seat moved me way back from stock. I went with the HD Sundowner solo and Grasshopper backrest. Put me forward a bit from stock.
Using stock bars.
I am 70 inches tall with 31 inch inseam.
Sorry, no measurements. Just info.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:24 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Do your 2 running lights come on automatically when you start your bike or do you have to manually press the switch? My 3 lights (only the center one) are not automatic but my friend's Heritage is when he starts his bike.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:31 AM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
Do your 2 running lights come on automatically when you start your bike or do you have to manually press the switch? My 3 lights (only the center one) are not automatic but my friend's Heritage is when he starts his bike.
Mine come on automatically, assuming I had them on when i last turned off the engine.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:26 PM
gscully
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I never turn them off. They’re on when I restart the bike.

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread