2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 09:31 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Another Old Timer
A note of interest, the front tube had a big fold in it originally from the factory tire install, a word of caution.
i thought all the AMF era workers would be retired by now ...

Old 10-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by almico
I'm also shopping for new bars for my FLHC. It's been 3500 miles total, with 2500 on the stage III kit. I just did the 1000 mile service and was going to have the dealer replace the bars while it was in, but they were very little help.

I looked at lots of styles and am not stuck on anything yet. Not into big apes. I could go beach bars, buckhorns, z-bars even T-bars. I'd love to see some pics of FLHCs with various bar styles.

I'm 6'2" and with a 2" straight risers on the stock bars I am pretty comfortable position-wise, but my hands still get numb once in a while. I'm not sure if my wrist angle needs to be more or less.

FWIW, I like riding upright and not reaching.
I was having some problems with hands, and like you I liked the position of the bars more or less. I put Avon velvet air grips on my bars with the idea that I could loosen up my handhold and thus avoid cramps and numbness. It helped a lot. I also put Arlen Ness poly bushings in the riser to top tree attachment. So much less vibration coming through at the grip. My hands are happier. My bike is a 2018 Low Rider.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:10 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

I'm 6'2" and with a 2" straight risers on the stock bars I am pretty comfortable position-wise, but my hands still get numb once in a while. ...
It sounds like you may be holding on to your grips too tightly.

In my case I was returning to riding after almost 40 years and on a bigger bike than I was use to, so I was holding on as tight as I could and my hands would go numb. I had to make a determined effort to loosen my grip while I was riding. Now, with a lot of practice and a consious effort, I can ride without a death grip and the hands don't go numb any more.

I also like riding in a n upright position with my arms in a comfortable position with a slight bend at the elbows. Took me a while to get there by using a Reach Seat that pushes me forward and the installation of short HB risers taht helped move the bars up and back. However, befor that, the very first thing I did was to get rid of the OEM grips and I installed a set of ISO grips with the throttle boss. Even though I have rather small hands the OEM grips felt small in diameter and I felt like needed to hold on with a tight grip because they felt "flimsy".. The ISO Grips made my grip much more comfortable and helped eliminate my hands from becoming numb. The throttle boss also helps a lot to allow you to loosen your grip while still able to work the throttle.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:36 PM
Another Old Timer
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Had the heated grips installed on my Heritage. After so many years on so many BMW's, got used to Heated Grips-----Don't go Home with out them.

They work great.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:36 PM
almico
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I wish it was as easy as easing my grip. Even when steering with my fingertips in cruise control, the problem does not go away completely. It's almost like I'm pinching a nerve in my shoulder, because it's not just my hands. It's just hard to determine what bar might work better without going through 3 or 4 configurations. I try moving my hands and arms all around the bar and even dangling off the ends to see if there is a position that works. No luck so far.

I had heated grips installed when I first got the bike. They are larger than the stock grips.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:40 PM
Another Old Timer
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Had the dealer install the HD heated grips, they work great. After years on BMW's got spoiled with Heated Grips.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:49 PM
tx freebird
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Another Old Timer
Had the dealer install the HD heated grips, they work great. After years on BMW's got spoiled with Heated Grips.
+1 for heated grips, I also installed them on my Heritage -

Old 10-10-2018, 09:49 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

I'm also shopping for new bars for my FLHC. It's been 3500 miles total, with 2500 on the stage III kit. I just did the 1000 mile service and was going to have the dealer replace the bars while it was in, but they were very little help.

I looked at lots of styles and am not stuck on anything yet. Not into big apes. I could go beach bars, buckhorns, z-bars even T-bars. I'd love to see some pics of FLHCs with various bar styles.

I'm 6'2" and with a 2" straight risers on the stock bars I am pretty comfortable position-wise, but my hands still get numb once in a while. I'm not sure if my wrist angle needs to be more or less.

Arlen Ness makes modular adjustable bars. They allow you to set any wrist angle you’d like. Might be just the ticket for you to experiment with. A lot cheaper than gambling with different bars.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:52 AM
almico
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish

Arlen Ness makes modular adjustable bars. They allow you to set any wrist angle you’d like. Might be just the ticket for you to experiment with. A lot cheaper than gambling with different bars.
That sounds like a good idea. My hands even go numb when driving my car if my arms are in the wrong position. It's not a vibration issue.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:16 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Added some 14” LA Choppers Nice Curves. Went for tank badges and white grips and swing arm bag too. Have to say I’m loving the ride. The bars are not for everyone but a lot of fun for me. Very comfortable. 400 mile day yesterday.

At at this point I could have started with a Deluxe lol, but I love the versatility of the Heritage. Bags and shield when wanted, and stripped down it looks great.

Next up is a custom seat. Possibly different mirrors.

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread-upwhvox.jpg

The following users liked this post:
krvnrch (09-02-2022)

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread