2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 02:58 PM
Philzy
Novice
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New Risers

I added a set of HD pullback risers. Looks like about 4” of rise and a little more than an inch of pullback. Part# 55900165. Clutch cable seems ok. Brake cable still has slack but I’ll most likely be replacing it.

The following users liked this post:
Hardcase61 (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 04:34 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Philzy
I added a set of HD pullback risers. Looks like about 4” of rise and a little more than an inch of pullback. Part# 55900165.
They Look good.

It is what I wanted to do but they were not avaiable back then. I had to accomplish about the same using the pivoting Rox risers. Certainly makes the handlebar position much more comfortable.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:34 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Philzy
I added a set of HD pullback risers. Looks like about 4” of rise and a little more than an inch of pullback. Part# 55900165.
They Look good.

It is what I wanted to do but they were not avaiable back then. I had to accomplish about the same using the pivoting Rox risers. Certainly makes the handlebar position much more comfortable.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:18 PM
SkullsAndChrome
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
I'm not a real big fan of "louder is better", although, I did purchase a set of Rinehart Slip-ons that are still in the box. I like their look and sound I heard on youtube.

I have also purchased the HD SE oval Air Breather and a tuner.

I'll install both as soon as I recover from Back Surgery (done yesterday) in a week or so. Riding is about 4 weeks away.
I hope you recovered well. How is the Heritage on your back? I have 3 bulging disks in my lower back and am close to getting surgery. I'm looking to give up the Street Bob and go either Road King or Heritage. Leaning more towards the Heritage cause i want to be able to take the bags off. The Road King bags only come off to get to the wheels, and is not finished.behind the bags.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:54 PM
sped
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Man, talk about a nice day to ride today. I'm loving this ride more and more.

The following users liked this post:
Rebel420 (10-01-2019)
Old 10-27-2018, 06:07 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SkullsAndChrome
I hope you recovered well. How is the Heritage on your back? I have 3 bulging disks in my lower back and am close to getting surgery. I'm looking to give up the Street Bob and go either Road King or Heritage. Leaning more towards the Heritage cause i want to be able to take the bags off. The Road King bags only come off to get to the wheels, and is not finished.behind the bags.
I was back riding about 3 weeks after surgery. Since then I have done nearly 5k miles. The Heritage is very comfortable and does not cause any discomfort to my back.

As a result of the herniated disk in my back and a coincidental miniscus tear in my knee which laid me up for almost 4 months, my right leg was weakend severly. Surgery took away the pain, but the leg was still very weak. So, I have been going to the Y three days a week for about 1 hour early in the morning to do a series of excersies to stregnten my leg and back. Also, included some upper body stregnthening exserzses at the same time. This has helped with my ability to ride and mitigated the early difficulty I was having stopping and holding up the bike with my legs and upper body. Much better now..

I highly recommend that you do not put off having the surgery any longer than necesssary. Back pain is something you should not have to live with. I also reccomend you add an exersise program to your routine after surgery, especialy to help strengthen the back. It is important to strengthen the core mussles so you do not damage the spine further after surgery.

I think you would like the Heritage if you like a bike you can strip down and one that is very nimble. Although it is not a sport bike, it can feel like one. I prefer my Cherry all dressed up and more of a touring wannabe. I guess that is why the Heritage is somewhat the best of both worlds. I would love to be able to ride a King or Glide, but due to my slight stature, they are just too heavy for me to handle.

Wishing you the best and a quick recovery. Let us know how every thing goes and which bike you decide to return to.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:50 AM
SkullsAndChrome
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FrankEV
I was back riding about 3 weeks after surgery. Since then I have done nearly 5k miles. The Heritage is very comfortable and does not cause any discomfort to my back.

As a result of the herniated disk in my back and a coincidental miniscus tear in my knee which laid me up for almost 4 months, my right leg was weakend severly. Surgery took away the pain, but the leg was still very weak. So, I have been going to the Y three days a week for about 1 hour early in the morning to do a series of excersies to stregnten my leg and back. Also, included some upper body stregnthening exserzses at the same time. This has helped with my ability to ride and mitigated the early difficulty I was having stopping and holding up the bike with my legs and upper body. Much better now..

I highly recommend that you do not put off having the surgery any longer than necesssary. Back pain is something you should not have to live with. I also reccomend you add an exersise program to your routine after surgery, especialy to help strengthen the back. It is important to strengthen the core mussles so you do not damage the spine further after surgery.

I think you would like the Heritage if you like a bike you can strip down and one that is very nimble. Although it is not a sport bike, it can feel like one. I prefer my Cherry all dressed up and more of a touring wannabe. I guess that is why the Heritage is somewhat the best of both worlds. I would love to be able to ride a King or Glide, but due to my slight stature, they are just too heavy for me to handle.

Wishing you the best and a quick recovery. Let us know how every thing goes and which bike you decide to return to.
Glad to see you are coming along. Constant back pain with no relief really messes with you mentally. That's what i've been dealing with. I am seeing a new Ortho who sent me to Physical Therapy to strengthen my core. I'm in my third week of PT, and it's kicking my ***. I am 42, and was in great shape 2 years ago going to the gym 3-4 times a week until the pain started getting worse and worse. My PT said my core has gotten very weak, and boy i can feel it.

I got the SB with all intentions of making it more comfortable and more cruiser like than the bobber club style. Should have thought more before pulling the trigger on the SB. The M8 107 is amazing, and the suspension is great, but at 6"0 with mid controls i can barely move after a full days ride. The salesman told me forwards are available, which they weren't, then the service guys said they will be available this summer, which they weren't. Guys on the forum have done Fat bob forwards, and mix and matched parts, but im not doing it myself, and MoCo quoted me $2500 to do it for me. Hell no! There are too many things i need to do to make it fit me, and it'll cost much much more than to bite the bullet and sell the SB and get a Heritage.

The wife wants to kick my A$$ for wanting to give up the bike, but understands. I've never even thought of a touring bike until after the back pain got progressively worse. I've been told to go full touring and get a Road King, but i need the ability to take off the bags and windscreen and the Heritage is over 100lbs lighter than the RK and more agile. I love the styling, and the customization options are plenty.

Thanks Frank. I'll keep you posted. The riding season is just about over in NJ, so i might make the move in early spring although i would love to go into my garage this winter and see the Heritage in there and drool on it a bit

Last edited by SkullsAndChrome; 10-27-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:01 AM
SkullsAndChrome
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sped
Man, talk about a nice day to ride today. I'm loving this ride more and more.
Beautiful bike. I'm going to go for the vivid black as well. What bars are those? 16"?

Old 10-27-2018, 12:07 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Glad to see you are coming along. Constant back pain with no relief really messes with you mentally. That's what i've been dealing with. I am seeing a new Ortho who sent me to Physical Therapy to strengthen my core. I'm in my third week of PT, and it's kicking my ***. I am 42, and was in great shape 2 years ago going to the gym 3-4 times a week until the pain started getting worse and worse. My PT said my core has gotten very weak, and boy i can feel it.

I got the SB with all intentions of making it more comfortable and more cruiser like than the bobber club style. Should have thought more before pulling the trigger on the SB. The M8 107 is amazing, and the suspension is great, but at 6"0 with mid controls i can barely move after a full days ride. The salesman told me forwards are available, which they weren't, then the service guys said they will be available this summer, which they weren't. Guys on the forum have done Fat bob forwards, and mix and matched parts, but im not doing it myself, and MoCo quoted me $2500 to do it for me. Hell no! There are too many things i need to do to make it fit me, and it'll cost much much more than to bite the bullet and sell the SB and get a Heritage.

The wife wants to kick my A$$ for wanting to give up the bike, but understands. I've never even thought of a touring bike until after the back pain got progressively worse. I've been told to go full touring and get a Road King, but i need the ability to take off the bags and windscreen and the Heritage is over 100lbs lighter than the RK and more agile. I love the styling, and the customization options are plenty.

Thanks Frank. I'll keep you posted. The riding season is just about over in NJ, so i might make the move in early spring although i would love to go into my garage this winter and see the Heritage in there and drool on it a bit
I traded my 16 RK for my 18 Heritage. It’s the fastest I’ve ever traded a bike and zero regrets. The RK is great, but the M8 Heritage wins hands down for weight, nimbleness, versatility, and customizability. I’d say you’re on the right track based on your post.

Only tip I’ll add is at 10,000 miles I switched to Michelin Commander II’s from the stock Dunlop’s. It is a night and day improvement regarding road stability and tracking...wish I’d done it on delivery. Fantastic bike, even better with the right tires.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:09 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

I personally would have your Orho guy, if not a surgen, to recommend you to a GOOD one. PT, IMHO, only makes the pain worse. I had shots and PT, but nothing helped until surgery. I'm sure you have had an MRI and a good surgen can let you know if he can help you. You might not even have to stop riding your SB.

BTW I would like to be 42 again...i'm 76

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread