2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 03:59 PM
SkullsAndChrome
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish

I traded my 16 RK for my 18 Heritage. It’s the fastest I’ve ever traded a bike and zero regrets. The RK is great, but the M8 Heritage wins hands down for weight, nimbleness, versatility, and customizability. I’d say you’re on the right track based on your post.

Only tip I’ll add is at 10,000 miles I switched to Michelin Commander II’s from the stock Dunlop’s. It is a night and day improvement regarding road stability and tracking...wish I’d done it on delivery. Fantastic bike, even better with the right tires.
I love hearing positive feedback. I haven't heard one person not like their Heritage M8. Too bad i am in this situation, but i guess you live and learn.

I was thinking why they put a 150 rear on the Heritage. Did you go wider/higher or just changed to the Michelins with same specs?

Old 10-27-2018, 04:06 PM
SkullsAndChrome
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FrankEV
I personally would have your Orho guy, if not a surgen, to recommend you to a GOOD one. PT, IMHO, only makes the pain worse. I had shots and PT, but nothing helped until surgery. I'm sure you have had an MRI and a good surgen can let you know if he can help you. You might not even have to stop riding your SB.

BTW I would like to be 42 again...i'm 76
My Ortho guy is a surgeon that works on Jets football players and some other athletes on NJ teams. He sent me to this PT guy, and recommended him highly. I said the same thing, but he said give it a shot and strengthen your core. I did PT many years ago, and it did nothing and i did a round of 3 epidural shots and it did nothing. Yes ive had MRIs. I have 3 bulging disks in my lower back and 2 in my neck (both on my left side)

Good for you brother! Keep riding! I'm sure it makes you feel younger when you are on the bike! Nothing beats the feeling

Last edited by SkullsAndChrome; 10-27-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:16 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by SkullsAndChrome
I love hearing positive feedback. I haven't heard one person not like their Heritage M8. Too bad i am in this situation, but i guess you live and learn.

I was thinking why they put a 150 rear on the Heritage. Did you go wider/higher or just changed to the Michelins with same specs?

Same spec tire, but amazing the difference. The Dunlop’s felt very squirly by comparrison on the same roads. I commute 60 miles round trip everyday on the bike and keep my tire pressure consistently maintained so I’m positive it’s a good comparrison. The Michelin’s may wear a bit quicker, but worth it in my opinion.

The following users liked this post:
rainsong (10-22-2021)
Old 10-27-2018, 04:21 PM
SkullsAndChrome
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Thingfish

Same spec tire, but amazing the difference. The Dunlop’s felt very squirly by comparrison on the same roads. I commute 60 miles round trip everyday on the bike and keep my tire pressure consistently maintained so I’m positive it’s a good comparrison. The Michelin’s may wear a bit quicker, but worth it in my opinion.
Ok. Thanks. Good to know!

Old 10-27-2018, 06:46 PM
Yzzyx
Cruiser
Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

Just for you all, I ran the bike out of gas today to see how much the tank holds when it is bone dry.

4.877 gallons is the answer.

The following 3 users liked this post by Yzzyx:
A1A (10-27-2018), BulldogHI (07-19-2021), tmac00333 (11-14-2019)
Old 10-27-2018, 06:48 PM
Yzzyx
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SkullsAndChrome
I was thinking why they put a 150 rear on the Heritage.
The 150 rear gives the bike better handling. As you go wider, you sacrifice a lot of nimbleness.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:30 PM
A1A
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Yzzyx
Just for you all, I ran the bike out of gas today to see how much the tank holds when it is bone dry.

4.877 gallons is the answer.
Thanks for the info my friend. Did you have any issues getting her started after running bone dry?

Old 10-27-2018, 08:42 PM
Yzzyx
Cruiser

Originally Posted by A1A
Thanks for the info my friend. Did you have any issues getting her started after running bone dry?
Nope!

For about a mile before it finally died, it cut in and out a bunch. (This can't be good for the fuel pump or engine!)

So if this ever happens to you, slow down and put as little load as possible on the engine. And pray there is a gas station close by!

FWIW, I ran the fuel readout about 15 miles past the "LOW FUEL" message. So when that message pops up it isn't playing around!

The following users liked this post:
A1A (10-29-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 08:59 PM
Cakesheritage18
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 heritage 21” wheel abs

what exactly do I need to put a 21” wheel on my 18 heritage classic 114 with abs

Old 10-28-2018, 06:35 PM
sped
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

I want to mount a GPS somewhere and need wiring. I know there is a plug under the left side cover that I can access. Do I need to purchase a plug to fit in there so I can patch into the electrics, or can I splice into the wiring? I watched a vid on youtube where the guy patched into the red/yellow wire to power his GPS unit. I'm not sure if this will screw up the electrics on the bike. Personally I think having a fuze block off the battery would be best but the ones I've seen seem to run large and I don't know where I'd put it.

In any event will doing this screw up the electrics? Is there an appropriate plug I could pick up to wire my electronics into like the GPS, and maybe some electric gear?

I'm such a noob so take it easy on me. LOL

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread