2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 07:39 PM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by sped
I want to mount a GPS somewhere and need wiring. I know there is a plug under the left side cover that I can access. Do I need to purchase a plug to fit in there so I can patch into the electrics, or can I splice into the wiring? I watched a vid on youtube where the guy patched into the red/yellow wire to power his GPS unit. I'm not sure if this will screw up the electrics on the bike. Personally I think having a fuze block off the battery would be best but the ones I've seen seem to run large and I don't know where I'd put it.

In any event will doing this screw up the electrics? Is there an appropriate plug I could pick up to wire my electronics into like the GPS, and maybe some electric gear?

I'm such a noob so take it easy on me. LOL
There's a USB port down there on the left side. You need a cable that plugs into that and into whatever you have on the other end - GPS unit or phone. Here's how I set mine up for my phone: I use a Ram mount, located on the right side as close to the center of the handlebars as possible. You can get mounts that put it further out on the bars if you want. I think some use the mirror bolts for mounting. I prefer it as close to center as possible. It's more natural to look at it straight ahead, it gets a little less glare down there and is protected from flying debris and even rain to some extent. I put a cable tie on the clutch cable that is just big enough to feed the small end of the USB cable through. There's another on the handle bar. When I use the charger cable I thread it through these two ties and then wrap it around the center of the handle bar as much as I need to take up the slack, leaving enough for when the bars are turned completely to the right. I also feed the cable through the mount and down under the phone, then bend it back up to plug in. I do this to control the length of the bend so it doesn't bind against the speedometer bezel when I turn full right. It also provides some strain relief and helps reduce vibration fatigue on the connector. A 36 inch or 1 meter cable is a good length for the way I set it up.

I don't use the charging cable more than I absolutely need to. I learned the hard way that the little connector in the phone will wear out from the vibration induced by the bike. My new phone has a USB-C charging cable, which is much more robust than the micro USB of my previous phone but I still minimize charging it on the bike. I never use the charger when there's a threat of rain and always remember to put the little cover back on. I don't know if it's susceptible to corrosion from water or not (HD doesn't say) but it's better not to take any chances.

The following users liked this post:
DESERT VIPER (12-21-2022)
Old 10-28-2018, 08:01 PM
sped
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Great idea for the phone Buster but I'm pretty sure most GPS units will require 12v to operate. I don't think the USB puts that much out.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:10 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Sped,

I installed an INNOVV K2 camera system on my Cherry which includes GPS.. It required both a direct 12 volt power source which I spliced into the red wire near the main fuse. It also required a switched (Ignition) 12 volt power source which i spliced into the red/yellow wire that runs to the P&A connector under the left side cover. I did not have a plug so did not use the connector itself. That was fortunate since I just had to use that connector for the Custom Dynamics Tripple Play unit that turns my rear tail light and turn signals into an all Run/Brake and Turn operation. I use the "blue" mechanical connectors to splice into existing wires so I don't have to cut any bike wiring.

If the GPS unit requires a switched 12 Volt power source the red/yellow wire is the best source. If it designed to use a 5 volt USB source the port on the left side frame is the location to use. Howver, you will need to zip tie the USB plug into the port so vibration does not shake it lose, which happens easily. I hve a USB cable for my phone permently pluged into ,and zip tied securely to, the port and routed up to my RAM mount on the handlebars, The USB cable is also zip tied neatly along the way.

Last edited by FrankEV; 10-28-2018 at 08:11 PM.
sped (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 08:17 PM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts

Great idea for the phone Buster but I'm pretty sure most GPS units will require 12v to operate. I don't think the USB puts that much out.
Removed previous comments. I tried a couple times to respond, but rather than try to guess what you have I just deleted my comments.

Last edited by Buster217; 10-28-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:36 PM
g.pederson
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@sped You could get the wire upgrade kit for using heated grips and it has the pins and connector to wire up any item of the 12v accessory. It plugs into the USB tray and then you can route the connector to where you want it. Part # is 69201750. There is also the option to use the other connector kit which plugs in under the left cover and has connections for 12v, accesory 12v, and ground.

Last edited by g.pederson; 10-28-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:50 PM
sped
Road Captain

Originally Posted by g.pederson
@sped You could get the wire upgrade kit for using heated grips and it has the pins and connector to wire up any item of the 12v accessory. It plugs into the USB tray and then you can route the connector to where you want it. Part # is 69201750. There is also the option to use the other connector kit which plugs in under the left cover and has connections for 12v, accesory 12v, and ground.

Sounds great! The part number you listed comes up empty in a search. Could you double check? Thanks!

Old 10-28-2018, 10:16 PM
sped
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Buster217
Removed previous comments. I tried a couple times to respond, but rather than try to guess what you have I just deleted my comments.
I just re=read my comment to you. I think it sounded flippant/. It wasn't meant in that tone I promise. If I offended you I apologize. Take care and ride safe.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:21 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

anybody know if there is a run/turn/brake module yet?

Old 10-28-2018, 10:28 PM
g.pederson
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds great! The part number you listed comes up empty in a search. Could you double check? Thanks!
Here is the link off the website. I have used both connection kits. One for Led lights and other for driving lamps. https://accessories.harley-davidson....ion-update-kit

The other kit for the left cover is https://accessories.harley-davidson....te-kit-touring They show the same picture but both are different.

Last edited by g.pederson; 10-28-2018 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:49 PM
Hardcase61
Cruiser
Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

I want to mount a GPS somewhere and need wiring. I know there is a plug under the left side cover that I can access. Do I need to purchase a plug to fit in there so I can patch into the electrics, or can I splice into the wiring? I watched a vid on youtube where the guy patched into the red/yellow wire to power his GPS unit. I'm not sure if this will screw up the electrics on the bike. Personally I think having a fuze block off the battery would be best but the ones I've seen seem to run large and I don't know where I'd put it.

In any event will doing this screw up the electrics? Is there an appropriate plug I could pick up to wire my electronics into like the GPS, and maybe some electric gear?

I'm such a noob so take it easy on me. LOL
instead of a GPS unit I use my galaxy S8 phone in a Quadlock case and mount combo then run a cord from the USB port on the bike to the phone to keep it charged.

https://www.quadlockcase.com/?redire...BoCZlEQAvD_BwE

you can use google maps and get turn by turn directions.

sped (10-29-2018)

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread