2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 12:40 PM
rico1969
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

love the pipes look. How loud are they? Anyway I might be able to see a video for sound of them ? rico1969@yahoo.com

Old 12-13-2018, 03:19 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Buster217
Does anyone know if there are Viking saddlebags that will fit the 2018+ Heritage? I did a search on their website and all the bags listed for a 2018 Heritage are described as being for a Softail Heritage FLSTC. All the same bags come up whether I search for a 2018 or 2017. Seems suspicious to me. I tried their on-line live chat but ended up with somebody who seemed to think their job was to fend off all potential customers. They either couldn't or wouldn't understand that there is no such thing as a 2018 FLSTC and basically ended up telling me to look at the video and decide for myself if it would fit. I sent them an email and I guess I'll try to give them a call but after today's experience I'm not sure I can trust what they tell me. Seems other people in the past have had trouble dealing with them so I don't want to even think about buying something from them I'm not sure about.
why are you getting different bags? whats wrong with the stock bags?

Old 12-13-2018, 03:56 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by escalade6103
Buster217 will have to give his reason, but I changed mine out because the H-D stock bags were horrible. Nothing fit unles it was soft and squisshy because of the latch location. They looked ugly. Hated the studs. Quality was poor. Known to open while riding even if locked. Also known to leak.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:53 PM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by escalade6103
I'm ok with the looks and they are big enough for day rides. I can get my tools, tire pump, rain gear and extra jacket and gloves in with no problem. I have a small soft bag that goes on the luggage rack if I need a little more space and a larger bag for longer trips. They have popped open on me a couple times but I'm pretty sure that I had something caught in the latch when it happened. I'm careful now to avoid that and haven't had a problem with that since.

I wouldn't be considering replacing them except that one of them leaks. It leaks through the lock barrel. The lock mechanism slides up and down in the barrel and has an o ring to seal it and hold it in position. On one bag it just isn't quite tight enough to completely seal. Water pools on top of the lock and runs right through it. I found an o ring that was just barely slightly larger and tried that, but it binds, so it wouldn't work. I ended up putting some extra grease in the barrel and on the o ring. It seems to be working but I'm not real confident about it.

The reason I looked at the Viking bags is that they are pretty reasonably priced and from what little I've seen on the quality, they are pretty good. Figured I could buy a set and if I didn't like the quality I could send them back. But almost everyone that has commented on them has complained about the customer service. I can see why. Their on line chat was useless and their customer support did not answer my email query. Guess I'm done there.

The bags FrankEV suggested look really nice and the company has a good reputation but they're priced a bit over the pain threshold so I think I'll see if I can live with the stock bags. Or I might go fight with the dealer on a replacement. Problem is it's a design flaw so even if I get a new one it will probably leak sooner or later anyway.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:35 PM
sped
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
Buster217 will have to give his reason, but I changed mine out because the H-D stock bags were horrible. Nothing fit unles it was soft and squisshy because of the latch location. They looked ugly. Hated the studs. Quality was poor. Known to open while riding even if locked. Also known to leak.

Your bags look interesting Frank. I checked out the website, but had a couple questions. Are they leather wrapped hard bags or just leather bags similar to what was on previous Heritage generations? It looks like they lock so I'm thinking herd bags. Any chance of getting pics of the inside?

Thanks and ride safe.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:35 AM
endscuoio
Former Sponsor
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Buster217
Does anyone know if there are Viking saddlebags that will fit the 2018+ Heritage? I did a search on their website and all the bags listed for a 2018 Heritage are described as being for a Softail Heritage FLSTC. All the same bags come up whether I search for a 2018 or 2017. Seems suspicious to me. I tried their on-line live chat but ended up with somebody who seemed to think their job was to fend off all potential customers. They either couldn't or wouldn't understand that there is no such thing as a 2018 FLSTC and basically ended up telling me to look at the video and decide for myself if it would fit. I sent them an email and I guess I'll try to give them a call but after today's experience I'm not sure I can trust what they tell me. Seems other people in the past have had trouble dealing with them so I don't want to even think about buying something from them I'm not sure about.
Hey buddy, if you are open to consider other options give a look at our site

I've looked for all bags that can be installed on your motorcycle. If you have any questions i'm here

Old 12-14-2018, 07:01 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sped
Your bags look interesting Frank. I checked out the website, but had a couple questions. Are they leather wrapped hard bags or just leather bags similar to what was on previous Heritage generations? It looks like they lock so I'm thinking herd bags. Any chance of getting pics of the inside?

Thanks and ride safe.
They are heavy leather over a hard plastic shell. Quality is top notch. On the '18 Deluxe and Heritage they are specifically designed to mount using the H-D quick release mounting hardware. The mounting mechanism clamps onto the projecting bolts and then there is a keyed lock on the inside to prevent theft. There are leyed locks in the side of the tops that work fairly well as long the bags are not over filled. However, for most daily use when no valuables are in the bags, the straps with snap latches keep everything secure. Little old school, but I like that look much better. The removable Tour Bag is a little small when compared to H-D Tour pack, but for that same reason I can keep it on the bike all the time. Great for securing a second helmet or carying extra jacket or the like to suit weather conditions.

Inside of LP saddlebag.

The following users liked this post:
sped (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 09:24 PM
rico1969
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default March 1st delivery

Traded in my 2014 Ultra Limited today for the Rawhide/ Blk combo. March 1 delivery date. I am looking forward to reading all the knowledgeable posts you guys make. I have learned so much already.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:08 AM
ex ninjadude
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6' 6'' tall guy

I'm debating between a 2019 Heritage Classic & 2019 Road King Special. I have a 36'' inseam, I'm sure I'll have to change a few things. I'm leaning more toward the Heritage Classic, less weight & a couple thousand less $. I need to hear from my daddy long leg riders! What did you change, if any & how do you like your Heritage Classic? I've been away from the site for awhile if it's been discussed. Thanks,

Old 12-15-2018, 06:32 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ex ninjadude
I'm debating between a 2019 Heritage Classic & 2019 Road King Special. I have a 36'' inseam, I'm sure I'll have to change a few things. I'm leaning more toward the Heritage Classic, less weight & a couple thousand less $. I need to hear from my daddy long leg riders! What did you change, if any & how do you like your Heritage Classic? I've been away from the site for awhile if it's been discussed. Thanks,
I'm only 5'-6 and love my Cherry. Because I'm short I had to do a lot to make it a comfortable ride. I would say if the rider is 5'-10 to 6'-0 the bike would be just about a perfect fit.

The salesman that sold me my bike is around 6'-6 +/- and when he moved my bike around in the Showroom he looked like he was all cramped up. I could tell he was uncomfortable.

I know if I was a little taller my choice would have been the RK or even the SG. With the 114 now available in those bikes, and unless you are a 6'-6 tall 110 lb. weakling , I feel they would be worth the extra bucks for a better fit.

You will probably spend quite a bit to make a Heritage fit.

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread