2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 08:04 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,151 Likes on 719 Posts

Thinking about the bags....

What's everybody's view on their removal/installation? I'll probably have them installed most of the time. Still... they'll need to be removed occasionally for cleaning access. Their removal/installation isn't too terrible. Still - lots of blue Loctite seems to be in order. Sure would be nice if they had a quick detach system for them. As is - seems to be a bit of a PITA.

I know that Leather Pros has their EZ Mount system. I've looked at their bags and think they have a decent look from the side. However I'm not sure I'm keen on how they look on the ends. I guess it's their overall profile and how the lid transitions horizontally on the ends that bug me.

The stock bags are a mixed bag in my mind. I'm kind of "Meh" about the latch button being on the top (could become a negative if they leaked in the rain). Part of me doesn't care for the studs. On the other hand they do kind of work well, especially when all - seats, bags, trunk - are taken together. The stock bags have a more finished look than the Leather Pros (at least from I can see in pictures). Then there is the latch on the stock bags being in the way. Don't know if that'll turn out to be an irritant or a "Meh." Leather Pros definitely seems to have an advantage there.

I hadn't really thought of replacing the stock bags until I starting thinking about the hassle of having to remove them periodically for cleaning access. It's made me look for alternatives that might have a quick detach mounting system (like the Leather Pros). Can't say that I've come across many other options (none really).

Last edited by T^2; 04-15-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:15 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Thinking about the bags.....
I put the LP XLClassic SB's and the matching LP Tour-Bag on my Cherry.

Old School look that makes the Heritage look like a Heritage, IMHO.

The SB's are real easy on and off. Lockable, but I don't always ... latching straps work good.

Love mine.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:15 AM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

I have taken mine off several times and don't use Loctite. Never had an issue, just torque to 25lbs. I can take them off in a couple minutes, no need for a quick release.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:22 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by FrankEV
I put the LP XLClassic SB's and the matching LP Tour-Bag on my Cherry.

Old School look that makes the Heritage look like a Heritage, IMHO.

The SB's are real easy on and off. Lockable, but I don't always ... latching straps work good.

Love mine.
Yup... noted that when you posted way back when...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...l#post17450712

I still refer back to your pictures when I'm thinking about the bags.

One thing noted... The straps are different on your bags vs the bags shown on LP's website. Your bags have the straps over the lids. They don't show that on LP's website. What's the story with that?

Old 04-16-2019, 01:12 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by T^2
Yup... noted that when you posted way back when...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...l#post17450712

I still refer back to your pictures when I'm thinking about the bags.

One thing noted... The straps are different on your bags vs the bags shown on LP's website. Your bags have the straps over the lids. They don't show that on LP's website. What's the story with that?
Ummm... Never mind. Just figured out that the top straps are an option.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:55 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Ummm... Never mind. Just figured out that the top straps are an option.
Good catch...I never noticed the difference. That is the way I received them.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:02 PM
Rumba
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you can order Leather Pro bags with or without straps over the top... I ordered those bags for my Slim and when ordering online it gave me that option!
i ordered with straps over so I could strap my leather jacket on top of bag.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:43 AM
Chambeaux
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 92 Posts

Had to do some customization for comfort and to make it mine.

The following users liked this post:
kenny55 (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 08:50 AM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Chambeaux
Had to do some customization for comfort and to make it mine.

I like those chrome bars. I've been thinking about changing those on mine. Did you do the work yourself? Any issues with cables and wiring?

Old 04-20-2019, 12:43 PM
Chambeaux
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by kenny55
I like those chrome bars. I've been thinking about changing those on mine. Did you do the work yourself? Any issues with cables and wiring?
Yeah, I did it myself. I bought wiring extensions and new longer brake and clutch cables. All were necessary. I bought the cables from Hill Country Custom Cycles. They have a good video to help. It doesn't cover everything but I found it helpful. Got the wiring extensions at Namz. The bars are Chubby 14" that required new risers and bar clamp. Good thing I tested the bars before doing all the work. JP Cycles had made a mistake on their site that said the new bars would fit my stock risers and clamp but they didn't. After dealing with a bad customer service rep I contacted them via Facebook and boom - new risers and clamp for free.

The install went pretty well with one exception. I was worried about the wiring and clutch cable but that went well. The problem was bleeding the air out of the new brake cable. See this thread that documents that fun -

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/frame...no-brakes.html

I don't like anyone less working on my bike but HD is making it harder and harder to do it yourself. I was able to pull it off but be warned and good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by Chambeaux:
kenny55 (04-20-2019), martin10 (06-12-2019)

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread