2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 08:36 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
Those bags and seat don't look like the Heritage bags and seat that came on mine. Did you swap them out or was it a option available?
They are the stock pieces....black studs and all. Maybe just the shadow makes them look different.

The following users liked this post:
FrankEV (02-19-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 09:53 PM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

What are you guys thinking about engine guard? Yes, no? I have the same bike as Another Old Timer and love the clean look. But a black engine guard can provide protection and not look so obtrusive. I'm just torn!

The following 2 users liked this post by cmhdwg09:
RENARELLO (03-28-2020), Robertashby (12-23-2021)
Old 02-18-2018, 10:07 PM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain

BTW....got the brass fuel cap and left side cover for mine......with the gold stripe around the tank, they look extraordinary. Of course, they cost so much they should!!Attachment 585859

Last edited by cmhdwg09; 08-13-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Thingfish (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 10:24 PM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain

Garage with 2016 Street Bob and 2018 Heritage.

Last edited by cmhdwg09; 08-13-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Another Old Timer (02-19-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 10:36 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhdwg09
What are you guys thinking about engine guard? Yes, no? I have the same bike as Another Old Timer and love the clean look. But a black engine guard can provide protection and not look so obtrusive. I'm just torn!
I like the classic look of the engine guard, but for lane splitting here in LA it’s a liability so it’s a no-go for me. In your area it might be perfect.

Robertashby (12-23-2021)
Old 02-19-2018, 03:06 AM
kb_jag
Tourer
Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Have to admit....

Originally Posted by Another Old Timer
After noticing the engine oil level getting lower after each ride, checked it yesterday evening after a .....rather spirited ride. The oil level was at the add one Quart mark. Decided to let it sit over nite to see if oil would drain out of the Oil Cooler. This morning checked it again and the oil level was just touching the Dip Stick. Have not added any oil yet. Opened the Owners manual and followed the check level when cold procedure on page 111 in the OM. Let it idle on the Jiffy stand, check oil, still barely touching the dip stick. Yes I check the oil level by screwing the Dip Stick in all the way......Added about 1/2 qt and brought the level up 1/2 the way from Add oil and full following the instructions in the OM. Then did the 2 minute idle on the jiffy stand again.......Still at half the way between add and full......AOK.

As soon as the sun came up and the temp got above 45F outside. suited up for about 50 mile run down 60 to Suches, Ga. Took it easy just enjoying the tons of torque from the 114 with Torque cam .....Probably only hit as hi as 3,500 to 3,800 RPM the 50 miles. Got to Suches parked the bike and about 5 minutes after stopping checked the oil.........WTF .............The oil level was about as far above the full mark as the add mark was below the full mark. Checked it 3 times and again after about an hour and a half of shooting the Bull with friends. Road home keeping the revs below 3K R's. Checked the oil when I got home--Still super full??????????????

Does the large oil cooler on these 114 Softails have a thermostat that can trap the oil in the cooler if the bike does not get hot enough to open the thermostat????? Is this some form of sumping??? Any guesses???? Tranny oil hasn't changed level. Have not pulled the Derby cover yet........Will in the morning.

Comments or guesses welcome.......
Have to admit....I have kinda been waiting for a post like this.

I cannot tell you why...and I kind of hate making the comparison..but...As soon as I read the owners manual on the 2018 and went through the oil check procedure...it immediately reminded me of my days at a dealership that also had suzukis. The language in the manual, was so similar to that when the M109 first came out. Even half the techs got it wrong. What I do remember, very clearly , was the sensitive nature of the protocols.

If the NEW bike had no suspected reason to burn oil...ran well, made no manifestation of any issues at all, and the owner decided it needed oil, the calls came in, before, during and after the owner/tech added oil.

Before, why is it low. = bring it it. No service update at that time. = Better add oil
During - now the owner or tech with out the service update added oil. = Gee these readings are contradictory and confusing

After = now oil seems to be comming out of my bike by any means possible. And it's all down the side of the bike and on the owners pant leg. Gee this new bike shine is wearing off fast. Frustrated owners calling dealer principals who in turn call Suzuki NZ

The end result in that case was update service bulletin to clarify to the techs what the proper procedure was.
It was still confusing for the customer.

I do know the guys that had no mechanical aptitude and just rode and had it serviced, never seemed to have any problems. Oil was only ever added as part of the full service change out. The others, who may have been more conscientious, curious and inquisitive as to the nature of how things should work, especially if done "As per" seem to be in quite a few times before they ever got to the bottom of an issue. In the end, if the bike had to have the exact amount of oil called for after a full oil change service. And the procedure was followed exactly as per the update (which was a pain that involved a test ride, 20 minute down time, check, reheat , check again etc procedure) (And the updated language and protocol was only produced to nullify owners and techs incorrect readings ) Then there were no further issues.

Not saying your doing anything wrong...just passing along observations from within a dealership.

With all the going ons in the M8 forums with transfer/migration etc, I made a firm decision to be lazy. Mostly for my protection. I ride, I have it serviced, and I ride more. If there's an issue with the bike, especially concerning oil, I'm going to hear it from the service dept, they are not going to hear it from me. That is to say, for what we pay, for the new bike , for the service, for everything, they can check the oil.

This is not my ancient 45 flathead. Its new,it runs Great, in fact, you might say better all the time. On that basis I lather, rinse and repeat, and that seems to be going pretty ok 👍

Hope it turns out to be something similar for the velvet sledge 💪

Thanks for keeping us posted

The following 3 users liked this post by kb_jag:
leachman (09-05-2021), lumdog1931 (02-10-2019), Rebel420 (10-01-2019)
Old 02-19-2018, 04:27 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts
Default Engine Guards

Originally Posted by Thingfish
I like the classic look of the engine guard, but for lane splitting here in LA it’s a liability so it’s a no-go for me. In your area it might be perfect.
Originally Posted by cmhdwg09

IMHO the Engine guards are a necessity.

At the prices of everything on these bikes today, even if your bike just falls (or gets knocked) over in a parking lot and messes up a signal fixture or passing lamp not to mention the cost if you ever have to lay it down intentionally because of some dumb a** that crosses your path, the engine guard will pay for itself.

Then there is the ability to be able to upright an almost 800 pound bike by oneself if necessary if laid down unintentionally... not that that ever happens to anybody.

The black guard on the blacked out Heritage is almost invisible and looks like it could ( and maybe should be) a stock item.

The following 3 users liked this post by FrankEV:
Mattde31 (05-28-2019), RENARELLO (03-28-2020), Uncle G. (06-18-2019)
Old 02-19-2018, 04:44 AM
Another Old Timer
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by kb_jag
Have to admit....I have kinda been waiting for a post like this.

I cannot tell you why...and I kind of hate making the comparison..but...As soon as I read the owners manual on the 2018 and went through the oil check procedure...it immediately reminded me of my days at a dealership that also had suzukis. The language in the manual, was so similar to that when the M109 first came out. Even half the techs got it wrong. What I do remember, very clearly , was the sensitive nature of the protocols.

If the NEW bike had no suspected reason to burn oil...ran well, made no manifestation of any issues at all, and the owner decided it needed oil, the calls came in, before, during and after the owner/tech added oil.

Before, why is it low. = bring it it. No service update at that time. = Better add oil
During - now the owner or tech with out the service update added oil. = Gee these readings are contradictory and confusing

After = now oil seems to be comming out of my bike by any means possible. And it's all down the side of the bike and on the owners pant leg. Gee this new bike shine is wearing off fast. Frustrated owners calling dealer principals who in turn call Suzuki NZ

The end result in that case was update service bulletin to clarify to the techs what the proper procedure was.
It was still confusing for the customer.

I do know the guys that had no mechanical aptitude and just rode and had it serviced, never seemed to have any problems. Oil was only ever added as part of the full service change out. The others, who may have been more conscientious, curious and inquisitive as to the nature of how things should work, especially if done "As per" seem to be in quite a few times before they ever got to the bottom of an issue. In the end, if the bike had to have the exact amount of oil called for after a full oil change service. And the procedure was followed exactly as per the update (which was a pain that involved a test ride, 20 minute down time, check, reheat , check again etc procedure) (And the updated language and protocol was only produced to nullify owners and techs incorrect readings ) Then there were no further issues.

Not saying your doing anything wrong...just passing along observations from within a dealership.

With all the going ons in the M8 forums with transfer/migration etc, I made a firm decision to be lazy. Mostly for my protection. I ride, I have it serviced, and I ride more. If there's an issue with the bike, especially concerning oil, I'm going to hear it from the service dept, they are not going to hear it from me. That is to say, for what we pay, for the new bike , for the service, for everything, they can check the oil.

This is not my ancient 45 flathead. Its new,it runs Great, in fact, you might say better all the time. On that basis I lather, rinse and repeat, and that seems to be going pretty ok 👍

Hope it turns out to be something similar for the velvet sledge 💪

Thanks for keeping us posted

Glad that you posted this as this was my gut feeling. I am the founder and former owner of a very successful BMW dealership in the West. The oil coolers on certain of the BMW's would trap a lot of oil in the oil cooler if the oil temp never got high enough to open the Oil Cooler Thermostat, as a result it was easy to over fill. I'm thinking the same thing might be happening here. The oil cooler on this bike is much larger than my '14 RK. Don't know if there is a Cooler Thermostat.

Pic of the dip stick this morning. I'm going to use a Turkey baster to suck out some oil and bring the level to the half full level on the dip stick when cold. I am suspecting that the 114 engine in this bike is NOT using oil. My '13 or my '14 Road King did not use any at all. Will keep an eye on it.

Absolutely love the bike.

The following 2 users liked this post by Another Old Timer:
A1A (04-10-2018), kb_jag (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 06:22 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

The service manual says nothing about a thermostat in the oil cooler but does show a "Crancase Oil Check Valve" that the lower hose from the OilCcooler attaches to. Possible this valve is not working properly?

Old 02-19-2018, 08:23 AM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain

When I have the engine guard conversation with myself, I say exactly what you have said. It is a strong argument.

Robertashby (12-23-2021)

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread