2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Who has the 2018 Deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 10:46 AM
lorenski
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sumncguy
I just found a dislike during todays ride !
wtf with the horn ...??
I need to find a replacement soon !!
The FLSTN had a very loud horn. The FLDE not so much.
The horn is positioned differently on an 18+. Not sure if they can be interchanged.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:41 PM
fjoh
Tourer
Received 72 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Kristine883
Trying to find a 15" windshield for The deluxe. I tried HD the shortest is 18 and comes over the top of my head. I want to look over not through. Tried Freedom shield, emailed them for help, they have a 15" but does not come with hardware. I'd have to have the oem shield then buy theirs and replace it.

any thoughts? I really don't want to pay HD prices plus it's too tall. I'm 5'3" so it's tough to find things to fit me.

thanks!
you can cut your taller Shield with a dremel, using the plastic/ wood cutting disc.
I did that with my shield and it came out really nice. Nicer than expected, especially after I sanded (#220) then polished (I used #1000 then #3000, came in the automotive headlight restore kit) the edge of the shield.

i used masking tape as a guide to make sure I was cutting exactly the same distance from the stock shield. (I taped the general area with blue tape and taped over with white one to show the line I wanted to cut.
I cut it while it’s mounted on the bike since it’s more stable that way than on a table.
Finished edge in the pics.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:36 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Unfortunately you need an OEM shield before you can do anything else. Look in the classifieds and maybe Ebay for a used one. Or maybe someone on here might want to get rid of theirs. Lots of riders don't care for a shied at all.

If you get an OEM, I can highly recommend changin g it out for a Freedom 15" recurve. It is what I use. KIcks the wind up over your head and lets you look over it very comfortably (I'm short toooooo).

Old 01-17-2019, 02:45 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dnd31
Reckless fairing. Thanks. Almost bought the windscreen, but wanted something different.
Did you get it with a sound system or just the shell?

Did it add a significant noticible amount weight when picking up off jiffy stand?

Did it, especially at slow speeds, effect your handleing?

What is your opinion of Reckless quality?

Last edited by FrankEV; 01-17-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:25 PM
dnd31
Tourer
Received 1,018 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
Did you get it with a sound system or just the shell? I got the shell with a single din stereo and speaker cut-outs

Did it add a significant noticible amount weight when picking up off jiffy stand? Not at all, i did not notice a whole lot of difference

Did it, especially at slow speeds, effect your handleing? I dont think so but, it did take about a day or so to get use to as you have a different sight picture compared to the open bars. So it is different but you get
use to it. More judgement than actual view, but after a bit handling with it on or off doesnt make a difference to me. I actually leave it on more often than
not.

What is your opinion of Reckless quality?
Overall im happy with it, i got just the gel coat, matches the vivid black pretty well. will eventually paint. Was packaged well and got on a sale.
I have not owned some of the other popular brands of fairings so my opinion is just that, but i feel i got what i paid for.

The following users liked this post:
FrankEV (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 05:11 PM
Warborn1776
Stage IV
Location: Central MA flanked by liberals and a fake indian...
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with one of the comments above, the turn signals being changed to strips instead of the round lights that the Heritage still has completely takes the nostalgia out of the Deluxe. I have a 13 Deluxe and love it. With that being said it has a stage 1 air and tune, true duals, aftermarket seat and changed out the beach bars, mostly to help with a bad back...which it did. Ive always thought the Deluxe was the nicest looking bike in the lineup, and will probably keep mine for years. When I buy a touring bike, the Deluxe will stay around. Is the oil tank a bolted cover for esthetics now or is that the actual tank?

Old 01-18-2019, 06:14 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sumncguy
wtf with the horn ...?? I need to find a replacement soon !!
Read Horn

Old 02-10-2019, 08:16 AM
jtodd
Tourer
Received 178 Likes on 147 Posts

Kristine883,
Check the classifieds in this forum and/or Ebay for a stock '18 H-D Deluxe/Heritage shield at a better price than H-D. (Got to be some out there since a lot take them off their ride.) Then get the Freedome 15" and change the hardware. You wont regret it.
Hey, I'm a shorty also and have spent a bundle to get my Cherry to where I can ride it comfortably. To some degree, I made my Heritage into a Deluxe because I had it lowered Front and rear to about where a Deluxe comes standard. I also bought a Reach seat before rolling it out of the dealers showroom. Next, on the 24th of July I'm having the Reach seat modified by Mean City Cycles to change out the foam. I will gain about another 1/2" of lowering, a narrower profile at the crotch area and hopefully a more comfortable seat.
Couldn’t you use an OEM parts finder and just buy the screws, washers and bushings from the stock Heritage windshield assembly? I checked it out and that would be under $50. Any reason that wouldn’t work? Considering the Freedom 15” for my wife’s Deluxe.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:35 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jtodd

Couldn’t you use an OEM parts finder and just buy the screws, washers and bushings from the stock Heritage windshield assembly? I checked it out and that would be under $50. Any reason that wouldn’t work? Considering the Freedom 15” for my wife’s Deluxe.
I did not look but did that incluce the front and back flat strapping that makes up the frame and the side mounting attachments. If you can buy all the metal parts that make up the windshield for $50 and then purchase the 15" recurve windshield from Freedom would be a good way to go.

Don't forget you also need to buy the docking harware that attaches to the forks for the windshield to mount to.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:44 PM
jtodd
Tourer
Received 178 Likes on 147 Posts

I did not look but did that incluce the front and back flat strapping that makes up the frame and the side mounting attachments. If you can buy all the metal parts that make up the windshield for $50 and then purchase the 15" recurve windshield from Freedom would be a good way to go.

Don't forget you also need to buy the docking harware that attaches to the forks for the windshield to mount to.
ahh. Good catch. I was thinking metal strapping came with the glass. Rats. Thanks for the answer.

Quick Reply: Who has the 2018 Deluxe?