2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Who has the 2018 Deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 11:30 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts
Default Who has the 2018 Deluxe?

How do you like the 18 Deluxe? I had an 06 twin cam 88 incher which I liked except that it was underpowered.

Impressions? Advice?

Old 06-11-2018, 01:42 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 639 Likes on 280 Posts

I have a bone stock ‘18 Deluxe. I like it a lot, but I don’t love it, at least, not yet.

The Pros:

It’s beautiful.
Handles well.
The LED lights are great.
The USB port is handy.

The Cons:

It’s not nearly as powerful or responsive as my ‘17 Slim with a full Stage 1.
It has really bad wind buffeting at over 60mph.
It’s really, really quiet.
Cleaning whitewalls is a pain.
The short side stand is kind of awkward.
The stock seat is too wide for me, and is maybe 1/2”-3/4” too high.
Almost no one is making aftermarket parts for it yet.

I’m hoping that the responsiveness will improve with a full stage 1.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Kristine883
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought mine on Saturday. I love it so far. I haven't had her over 60 yet, she's still stock too so no windshield yet. That'll get fixed over the next week or so.

I'm 5'3" and the stock seat is a little wide for me, I'm not totally flat footed but with a reach seat it'll be perfect. I still feel stable.

I went from a 2015 superlow to the deluxe so still getting used to not having a key to turn, and the beach bars but so far so good.

Now I just need to find saddlebags that are affordable! (meaning not the $850.00 HD ones)

Old 07-03-2018, 01:12 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Kristine883
.....meaning not the $850.00 HD ones)
OH, but the LeatherPro's are really really nice and made specifically for the Deluxe or Heritage.

Congrats on the new ride...Enjoy and ride safe!

Last edited by FrankEV; 07-03-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:10 PM
justcruising
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a completely stock early 07/17 deluxe FLDE. With a rear rider backrest fitted, I find it really comfortable. Handles suprisingly well for what it is and the improved ground clearance over previous models really helps.

Love the M8 engine. No fluid transfer (cable clutch!) or sumping issues, but then I also don’t hammer mine either.

Would be nice if the HPLA for the rear shock could be more easily accessed and adjusted when adding a pillion etc, eg. External **** rather than 8mm hex socket required under the saddle.

Have found the rear fender inner splash guard falls short by at least an inch, allowing road grime over the rear shock & up under the saddle.

Am having some buffeting issues with 18” Oem windscreen at highway speeds, affecting more the feel of the bikes handling ... i’m Only 5’ 9”. Work in progress, but haven’t found any lower shields available either.

Lack of choice of some accessories is frustrating, eg. No rear foot boards, detectable solo rack.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:31 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by justcruising
I have a completely stock early 07/17 deluxe FLDE. With a rear rider backrest fitted, I find it really comfortable. Handles suprisingly well for what it is and the improved ground clearance over previous models really helps.
Love the M8 engine. No fluid transfer (cable clutch!) or sumping issues, but then I also don’t hammer mine either. Would be nice if the HPLA for the rear shock could be more easily accessed and adjusted when adding a pillion etc, eg. External **** rather than 8mm hex socket required under the saddle. Have found the rear fender inner splash guard falls short by at least an inch, allowing road grime over the rear shock & up under the saddle. Am having some buffeting issues with 18” Oem windscreen at highway speeds, affecting more the feel of the bikes handling ... i’m Only 5’ 9”. Work in progress, but haven’t found any lower shields available either. Lack of choice of some accessories is frustrating, eg. No rear foot boards, detectable solo rack.
Not sure if it is any different because you are from down under, but, eventhough you may have purchased your Deluxe in '17 I believe it is actualy a '18 year model (Monoshock and all that).
The Deluxe and the Heritage are like, but not quite identacle twins, both sharing the basics, including the same problems, but just dressed up differently.
Yes the HPLA is a PITA to adjust.
I don't get much road grime up under my Heritage saddle, but I have seen others note the same problem. Thay have added some kind of material (not sure what--might want to search for the thread) to close that gap.
And, yes there is a lot of buffeting experienced in these "stock" models. The answer to this is Fangs and a Recurve Windshield which almost eliminates the problem. I'm 5-'6 and use a 15" Freedom Shield that works great. If you have an OEM windshield I think it the same as the Heritage. Check out https://freedomshields.net/product/heritage-windshield/ Contact them to be sure.
Rear floor boards are not available unless you are willing to manufacture your own adaptors to enable mounting touring bike boards.
Not sure what you are looking for in a rack, but i believe thaer are a number of choices from H-D but they will require you install their optional quick release mounting system.
Aftermarket accesories are slowly becomong available, but because of the significant frame and motor changes of the '18 year models it is taking them time.

Your frustration is showing. I had to work hard, and spend quite a bit, to make my Cherry just the way I want and like. Hope you can make some changes that will make ownership of your Deluxe more pleasent.
Enjoy and Ride safe.

The following users liked this post:
justcruising (07-05-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 08:06 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,154 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by justcruising

Love the M8 engine. No fluid transfer (cable clutch!) or sumping issues, but then I also don’t hammer mine either.

Would be nice if the HPLA for the rear shock could be more easily accessed and adjusted when adding a pillion etc, eg. External **** rather than 8mm hex socket required under the saddle.

Have found the rear fender inner splash guard falls short by at least an inch, allowing road grime over the rear shock & up under the saddle.

Am having some buffeting issues with 18” Oem windscreen at highway speeds, affecting more the feel of the bikes handling ... i’m Only 5’ 9”. Work in progress, but haven’t found any lower shields available either.

Lack of choice of some accessories is frustrating, eg. No rear foot boards, detectable solo rack.
Fangs...

https://www.jescustomaccents.com/201...FatBoy_c50.htm

The following users liked this post:
justcruising (07-05-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 12:44 PM
Kristine883
Novice
Default Windshield frustration

Trying to find a 15" windshield for The deluxe. I tried HD the shortest is 18 and comes over the top of my head. I want to look over not through. Tried Freedom shield, emailed them for help, they have a 15" but does not come with hardware. I'd have to have the oem shield then buy theirs and replace it.

any thoughts? I really don't want to pay HD prices plus it's too tall. I'm 5'3" so it's tough to find things to fit me.

thanks!

Old 07-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Kristine883
Novice
Default Windshield frustration

Trying to find a 15" windshield for The deluxe. I tried HD the shortest is 18 and comes over the top of my head. I want to look over not through. Tried Freedom shield, emailed them for help, they have a 15" but does not come with hardware. I'd have to have the oem shield then buy theirs and replace it.

any thoughts? I really don't want to pay HD prices plus it's too tall. I'm 5'3" so it's tough to find things to fit me.

thanks!

Old 07-04-2018, 01:34 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Kristine883,
Check the classifieds in this forum and/or Ebay for a stock '18 H-D Deluxe/Heritage shield at a better price than H-D. (Got to be some out there since a lot take them off their ride.) Then get the Freedome 15" and change the hardware. You wont regret it.
Hey, I'm a shorty also and have spent a bundle to get my Cherry to where I can ride it comfortably. To some degree, I made my Heritage into a Deluxe because I had it lowered Front and rear to about where a Deluxe comes standard. I also bought a Reach seat before rolling it out of the dealers showroom. Next, on the 24th of July I'm having the Reach seat modified by Mean City Cycles to change out the foam. I will gain about another 1/2" of lowering, a narrower profile at the crotch area and hopefully a more comfortable seat.

Last edited by FrankEV; 07-04-2018 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Who has the 2018 Deluxe?