2018+ Softail Models Breakout

(On the fence) Stage 2 Torque kit for 2018 slim

Old 11-05-2018, 12:53 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Good information here! I've been trying to decide between the Torque Cam and the HP cam. From looking at the charts in the catalog, which are labeled incorrectly, the HP cam still provides a bit more torque after about 3500 RPM over the stock cam and keeps pulling on through the higher RPM's. I hate the fact that my bike starts off super strong and then dies off at around 3500 RPM.

Hearing the real world experiences with the torque cam helps give a better Idea of what to expect. Still leaning towards the HP cam but want to hear from others that have experience with that cam before I make up my mind.

* Edit: After reviewing the updated charts online, the overall HP difference between the two cams seems pretty minimal but the difference in Torque seems pretty significant. May just have to go with the Torque Cam after all considering I would hardly ever take it over 5500 RPM. Wouldn't have much reason to when it would get up to speed so quickly with that low end grunt with the Torque cam. Now to decide and take the plunge....

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 11-05-2018 at 01:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LIMike (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 05:51 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

You guys doing the stage ll torque tq trust your fly wheel?
Especially the serious hot rodders?

LIMike (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 06:11 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Consider the Woods and other cams. Really outperform the HD cams. But not covered by warranty if your concerned about it.

LIMike (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 07:17 PM
LIMike
Road Captain
Received 366 Likes on 196 Posts

Thank you guys for all the info and help on this. I really do appreciate it! I’m definitely sold on the cam, I just need to decide if I’m going to do stage 3 or not. I’m going to talk to my local HD dealer tomorrow to get some numbers. I’ll be sure to keep you guys posted. I do want to stay with Screamin eagle for warranty purposes. A friend of mine told me that since I went with V&H pipes that it voided my warranty? I have never heard that! Is there any truth to that? I had mine installed from the dealer before I took delivery on the bike. I’m guessing that wouldn’t be true?
Thanks again guys!!

Old 11-05-2018, 07:30 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Someone do the leading edge 151 kit.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:59 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

You’re going to get a lot of answers regarding the warranty. The fine print of the warranty is not friendly to your pipes. In reality though I’ve heard that the tuner is a much bigger sticking issue. Since you have an SE tuner you are in better shape. Considering your dealer did the pipe, they “should” stand by you if a warranty issue comes up. If you trust your dealer that’s pretty good. This answer seems to be different for everyone. Others will point out “what about warranty work on the road? Just cause you trust your dealer doesn’t mean they’ll be servicing.” It’s a shame there aren’t perfect answers besides “stick with SE parts” but many have ventured to 3rd party pipes and not had their warranty voided according to posts here. Using SE cam, Tuner and AC I think you’re in decent shape. No way your less restrictive pipes will genuinely cause harm to the motor, so if it breaks there will likely be a reason that can be pointed to. HD has full authority to void us for any reason they want, especially for crossing EPA rules, but mostly I’ve heard reasonable responses to warranty claims. Best of luck.

Last edited by Thingfish; 11-05-2018 at 09:40 PM.
LIMike (11-06-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 10:48 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
You guys doing the stage ll torque tq trust your fly wheel?
Especially the serious hot rodders?
Just curious if there's a reason not to trust it? That may be some valuable information to add.

Originally Posted by DonN
Consider the Woods and other cams. Really outperform the HD cams. But not covered by warranty if your concerned about it.
I've thought about the Woods cams but that warranty is hard to just let go of especially after the warranty work that has already been done on my bike. Definitely considering it though.

Originally Posted by LIMike
Thank you guys for all the info and help on this. I really do appreciate it! I’m definitely sold on the cam, I just need to decide if I’m going to do stage 3 or not. I’m going to talk to my local HD dealer tomorrow to get some numbers. I’ll be sure to keep you guys posted. I do want to stay with Screamin eagle for warranty purposes. A friend of mine told me that since I went with V&H pipes that it voided my warranty? I have never heard that! Is there any truth to that? I had mine installed from the dealer before I took delivery on the bike. I’m guessing that wouldn’t be true?
Thanks again guys!!
As Thingfish stated you'll get many answers on the warranty and aftermarket parts. The dealer here has never voided my warranty for non-HD Tuners or Pipes on my bikes. I ran a ThunderMax tuner on my 48, and a Power Vision on my Roadster and it will be used on my Fat Bob once I buy another tuning license for it. Also had aftermarket pipes and had warranty work done with no hesitation or mention of warranty being voided due to these parts, all installed myself. The dealer recommended the Power Vision tuner. So I guess it depends on the dealer and if they like to stick it to their customers or stand by them and do what's right. My dealer has been super trustworthy with this for me and many other customers I've spoke to so they will continue to get my business. They've earned it many times over.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 11-05-2018 at 10:50 PM.
LIMike (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 05:26 AM
LIMike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607

As Thingfish stated you'll get many answers on the warranty and aftermarket parts. The dealer here has never voided my warranty for non-HD Tuners or Pipes on my bikes. I ran a ThunderMax tuner on my 48, and a Power Vision on my Roadster and it will be used on my Fat Bob once I buy another tuning license for it. Also had aftermarket pipes and had warranty work done with no hesitation or mention of warranty being voided due to these parts, all installed myself. The dealer recommended the Power Vision tuner. So I guess it depends on the dealer and if they like to stick it to their customers or stand by them and do what's right. My dealer has been super trustworthy with this for me and many other customers I've spoke to so they will continue to get my business. They've earned it many times over.
Thank you for your help on this. During my last service I mentioned to my local dealer that I wanted to get the stage 2 installed within the 60 days of buying the bike so it would be covered under the factory 2 year warranty. They told me not to worry, no need to rush to enjoy the bike and work that I have just done to it. That if I decide to do the stage 2 that they would stand behind their work and always take care of it!! I was very happy to hear it and to be honest not surprised (really good people) when I mentioned that to my buddy he told me that Harley Corp would ask to see the computer readout of the bike when they put in for warranty work. showing the settings that has been entered per my bike (showing the V&H pipes) and voiding the warranty. If the dealer has a say then they would most certainly stand my their word and product, I’m sure of that! Thank you for sharing your experiences, it definitely made me feel more confident about the warranty. After speaking with my buddy It was always in the back of my mind about opening the motor for performance work and possibly having a problem in the future and Harley not warranty it for something silly as pipes!! Thanks again Bowhunter!!

Old 11-06-2018, 05:48 AM
LIMike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Thingfish
You’re going to get a lot of answers regarding the warranty. The fine print of the warranty is not friendly to your pipes. In reality though I’ve heard that the tuner is a much bigger sticking issue. Since you have an SE tuner you are in better shape. Considering your dealer did the pipe, they “should” stand by you if a warranty issue comes up. If you trust your dealer that’s pretty good. This answer seems to be different for everyone. Others will point out “what about warranty work on the road? Just cause you trust your dealer doesn’t mean they’ll be servicing.” It’s a shame there aren’t perfect answers besides “stick with SE parts” but many have ventured to 3rd party pipes and not had their warranty voided according to posts here. Using SE cam, Tuner and AC I think you’re in decent shape. No way your less restrictive pipes will genuinely cause harm to the motor, so if it breaks there will likely be a reason that can be pointed to. HD has full authority to void us for any reason they want, especially for crossing EPA rules, but mostly I’ve heard reasonable responses to warranty claims. Best of luck.
Thanks again Thingfish for taking the time out and helping me on this! That was my hope. If I ever did have a problem that being I used the screaming eagle parts that Harley would show mercy on me lol. It definitely would have been a lot easier to use and install the V&H fuelpak but I like the idea of using Harley parts when I can. I do trust my dealer, very good people!! I wanted to do the stage 2 but they wanted me to ride the bike with the work that I have already done first. They wanted to make sure I still wanted to spend more money on the stage 2 job after feeling the difference with the work just done. It’s not all about dollars and cents with them, definitely good people!!
Thanks again Tingfish!!

Last edited by LIMike; 11-06-2018 at 05:56 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Nice to hear about dealers that take care of their customers. They are definitely out there. Mine hasn’t let me down in 16 years. I remember years back I went in looking at bikes. My sales guy asked “didn’t your first kid just start college? Go home and sleep on it for a week...if you stil want the bike come back.” I did, and I did...all good. Good people are around.

LIMike (11-06-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: (On the fence) Stage 2 Torque kit for 2018 slim