2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Rear Brake Arm Position Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 08:27 AM
auburntsts
Cruiser

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Rear Brake Arm Position Adjustment

The only thing my wife doesn’t like about her new Low Rider is the angular position of the rear brake pedal in relation to her foot position on the peg, The angle is very flat meaning she has to really push her toes down to actuate the brake— not easy wearing boots. Is there any way to adjust the pedal to rotate it counter-clockwise so its angular position is more akin to what you see with true forward controls? Or would replacing the arm be a solution? To be clear we’re not looking to relocate the peg and brake arm from the stock mounting location, just adjustment of their position to one another to make it easier for her press the pedal.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:35 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,539 Likes on 3,791 Posts

Seen a few optional pedal arm options. Not sure how they would change it. Seems MotherShip does not want you messing with brake pedal. Manual usually stated unlike shift lever, brake pedal is non adjustable.

Possibly, you could go in and try there adjust a saddle option. Think that is what they want.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-06-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:56 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Your brake pedal angle is probably adjustable to a degree. I adjusted my Fat Bob's brake pedal angle to be about 2" higher than stock. I don't know if every Softail is equally adjustable but I would be surprised if they weren't.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:22 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

It looks like at the master cylinder there's some adjustment.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:27 PM
wkent
Advanced
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Some adjustment available at the master cylinder rod. I have Fat Bob forward controls on my 2018 FXBB and adjusted the pedal via the clevis at the master cylinder. I have to rotate foot back to get on pedal, normal position foot is even with to slightly below pedal. Can lock up rear tyre without excessive effort

Last edited by wkent; 01-06-2019 at 04:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
auburntsts (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 02:31 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Ya, looks to me if one loosens the clevis at the master cylinder and back it off a bit the pedal should raise.

auburntsts (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 03:58 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,267 Posts

There's a clevis at the back of the pedal, you can remove the nut that tightens it down and then unscrew the clevis some. I think it had a range of something like a quarter inch of travel, which translated to an inch or two of pedal rise.

auburntsts (01-06-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 06:18 PM
Eddie Wolf
Intermediate
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I realize this is a bit late...
I added floorboards to my Low Rider, And the brake pedal was useless.
I ended up cutting and taking a section out, and then re welding the linkage rod...

Old 10-08-2019, 07:34 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts
Cool Several Good "How To" Post on HD Forums

Hope you can see the adjusted angle and Dominion foot pad.
Many Low Rider owners have complained about the angle of the brake lever. I confirmed the problem during my test ride and told the dealer I wanted it adjusted before delivery. The service department said it couldn't be done. I downloaded and took a copy of the instructions to the service department and told it that if they couldn't make the adjustment that I would not buy the bike at this dealership. My-oh-my, the dealer made the adjustment over the grumbling from the service department that it couldn't be done. HOWEVER, I checked the angle and range of motion before I took delivery, and low and behold the angle had changed. Furthermore, the range of movement of the brake lever is now in range that enables improved finesse & feel in applying the rear brake.

I am not the favorite customer of the service department, but I found a service writer who understands the issue and is very good to work with. Not sure why HD's first response to any problem is that the customer is wrong or it can't be done. WARNING: Even with the adjustment, the rear brake lacks feel and requires getting use to soft feel of the rear brake. The rear brake works OK, but using it doesn't give much feedback through the right foot; it is an acquired skill that took me about 400 miles to get used to.

FYI: I replaced the OEM foot pegs with the Dominion foot pads. They are like a mini-floorboard and allow me to move both of my feet around to improve comfort and particularly to modulate the control of the rear brake with proper positioning of the ball of the right foot. Good luck.

Attached Files

Last edited by Las Vegas Jim; 10-08-2019 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling error
rockymtman (08-06-2021)
Old 10-09-2019, 10:05 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

I replaced the linkage between the pedal and the MC with an adjustable shifter linkage from Bung King. Quality stainless piece that allowed me to raise the S&S pedal as much as I wanted. Note that shortening the linkage raises the pedal.

rockymtman (08-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Arm Position Adjustment