2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 07:23 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by nick@nite
Installed my custome derby cover and painted my coil hated that plastic look.
Hey, what primary cover is that? I wanted gloss black but all I could find is wrinkle? Is that a fancy one?

Edit: hmm, you powder coated that didn’t you? Same with the shifter right? I need a black shifter as well and can’t find one...

Last edited by Mchad; 02-02-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:34 PM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

I worked on changing out the bars on my Low Rider. These are the Biltwell Moto Bars. Easy wire swap compared to what some other bars would be. I'm going to run these with 4" straight risers.

Last edited by Tozco; 02-02-2019 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-02-2019, 07:40 PM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

I also got done installing the monshock from a heritage in my lowrider. This done in the interest of better handling and ground clearance on the cheap.

Here is the newly installed Heritage unit with remote hydraulic spring preload adjuster instead of the cam adjuster.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:09 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Where did you mount the ****?

Old 02-02-2019, 08:09 PM
Atitagain
Cruiser

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

Had the dealer pick it up and take it for the fourth time since September 2018. Parasitic draw that is causing slow cranking, dropping the voltage to my speedo clock and causing it to flash 12:00. Can anyone say LEMON LAW.

The following users liked this post:
blap (09-03-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 08:15 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Atitagain
Had the dealer pick it up and take it for the fourth time since September 2018. Parasitic draw that is causing slow cranking, dropping the voltage to my speedo clock and causing it to flash 12:00. Can anyone say LEMON LAW.
I hear a Honda makes a nice bike...

But seriously, have you measured the draw, and if so, how much? How often do you ride? Do you ever use a tender, ride for at least 20 min after starting? Start it up and just let it idle?

RENARELLO (04-23-2020)
Old 02-02-2019, 08:27 PM
Atitagain
Cruiser

Yea, I've done everything Harley has asked of me. Including keeping a log of how long the bike sits on the tender between rides. How long ridden, in what conditions, what temperature, rain or shine, how many rides, starts in one day. Doesn't seem to matter. Ride bike at 70mph for an hour, shut it off for two, three minutes, hardly starts. Let it sit on tender for up to four days, hard to start. Let it sit on tender for an hour, fires right off. They've replaced the battery, checked cranking voltage, checked charging rates, checked stator, re-flashed speedo etc.etc etc. Getting tired of it and very frustrated. Should have just flushed the 20 K.

blap (09-03-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 08:29 PM
username already exists
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Dis is what I did for mine today! Actually been working on it (the wiring) and since the temps finally got above freezing today, I was able to finish up. Photo angle makes everything look out of kilter, but trust me, it is straight.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:41 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Atitagain
Yea, I've done everything Harley has asked of me. Including keeping a log of how long the bike sits on the tender between rides. How long ridden, in what conditions, what temperature, rain or shine, how many rides, starts in one day. Doesn't seem to matter. Ride bike at 70mph for an hour, shut it off for two, three minutes, hardly starts. Let it sit on tender for up to four days, hard to start. Let it sit on tender for an hour, fires right off. They've replaced the battery, checked cranking voltage, checked charging rates, checked stator, re-flashed speedo etc.etc etc. Getting tired of it and very frustrated. Should have just flushed the 20 K.
Sounds frustrating indeed, but what you describe is hardly a parasitic draw, thats major. Hard starting after 3 min? For a new battery to lose that much power in that short a time you almost need a fire, or at least some melted wires. Very strange. Good luck!

Old 02-02-2019, 09:24 PM
Atitagain
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mchad
Sounds frustrating indeed, but what you describe is hardly a parasitic draw, thats major. Hard starting after 3 min? For a new battery to lose that much power in that short a time you almost need a fire, or at least some melted wires. Very strange. Good luck!
I'm really trying to stay positive about this but it's difficult. I sold my Indian Scout and bought this Heritage because I wanted more comfort, cruise control, and the ability to take some longer rides. The Heritage worked because the weight was where I wanted it to be. The Indian heavies are too heavy for me to move around the garage at my young age of 72. The Scout never saw the dealer except for routine service. This is my first Harley and I really want it to work for me. I'm not bashing Harley by any means. I still ride with my Indian buddies and some of their bikes have had electrical issues as well but they (Indian) has been able to solve the problem. The last time at the dealer, they said if the problem existed they were going to change the speedo unit. Don't know if that's still the plan. I'll find out more Monday. Thanks for the "good luck".

GF_14RK (08-22-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?