2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Caution on Arlen Ness big brake kits.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:52 AM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Very cool. Ness customer service is reported to be very good over in the Dyna forum.

Gotta say this is much more cost effective than converting to dual discs. Plus you get a true floating rotor.

Curious if you can install and remove the caliper with the disc installed. I had to loosen the disc significantly to get the caliper installed and then re-tighten the disc bolts on my Dyna.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:49 PM
Belloc42
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

And is it compatible with ABS? Sport Glide here...

Old 01-15-2019, 01:00 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Belloc42
And is it compatible with ABS? Sport Glide here...
All it is, is a larger diameter rotor and a bracket that moves the caliper out to fit the new rotor. Doesn't invade the brake system at all, so no impact on ABS or non-ABS systems.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:03 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mchad
All it is, is a larger diameter rotor and a bracket that moves the caliper out to fit the new rotor. Doesn't invade the brake system at all, so no impact on ABS or non-ABS systems.
Cool, thanks. I guess it's just a matter of waiting for a bracket to fit the Sport Glide fork.

Edit: The Revzilla site shows one that it says fits my bike. Wonder if they just haven't corrected it yet. Worth checking, though it'll be a few weeks before I'd be ordering.

Last edited by Belloc42; 01-15-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:16 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Tuesday update: New bracket arrived from Ness, but unfortunately they machined it incorrectly. They were supposed to basically rotate the caliper position a degree or so (I don’t have the exact specs), to bring the outside edge farther away from the disc. However they did it backwards and it moved it closer. No go. However the service manager was back on the phone with Ness and they are going to fab another one and send it out.

Good thing I have my Road King to ride, or I’d be going out of my mind...

Old 01-25-2019, 09:20 PM
XXTHESANDMANXX
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Here's a new twist on the story... The service manager at my dealer called me today. He had been talking to Arlen Ness about the issue, gave them specs and photos of the clearance problem, etc. He told me one of the senior guys over there called him earlier today and said since they already had the specs for the new softail bracket (which they hadn't put into mass production yet) they were going to custom make one for my bike and send it out tomorrow.

How the F about that for customer service? I don't know too many:

a) HD service departments who would spend the time and effort to get this done,
and b) product vendors who would go the extra mile like Ness is doing.

I'm honestly blown away about this. My hats off to Empire HD in New Rochelle NY, and to Arlen Ness.

And the funny part is they already put my bike back together with the stock brakes lol.

I'll update as it progresses.
I had noticed you where from ny but NY being so big I didn't think you where so close to me , I live near Pelham bay park , in country club road . I purchased my bike at empire ,small world ,are you going to the chil eatin contest this sat

Old 01-26-2019, 09:05 AM
Mchad
Club Member

No, no chili for me. Girl has plans for us

Old 01-31-2019, 11:08 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Bah. Ness just told my dealer they aren't able to make the bracket now. So they are sendign it back and Revzilla will refund the cost, and give me a credit for the cost of the service since their listing had incorrect fitment.

Three weeks of this. Sucks.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:17 AM
Belloc42
Tourer

Bah. Ness just told my dealer they aren't able to make the bracket now. So they are sendign it back and Revzilla will refund the cost, and give me a credit for the cost of the service since their listing had incorrect fitment.

Three weeks of this. Sucks.
That does suck. Good that you have something else to ride. With one bike, I'd have been climbing the walls.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:21 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Belloc42
That does suck. Good that you have something else to ride. With one bike, I'd have been climbing the walls.
The recent sub zero temperatures have helped too...

I guess I will just wait until the summer when they are supposedly releasing the kit.

Quick Reply: Caution on Arlen Ness big brake kits.