Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2018+ Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models-206/)
-   -   Caution on Arlen Ness big brake kits. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models/1266816-caution-on-arlen-ness-big-brake-kits.html)

Mchad 01-08-2019 12:08 PM

Caution on Arlen Ness big brake kits.

I just noticed the 18+ softail forum. Nice to see the request for a dedicated forum was actioned on!

Anyway, I ordered the big brake kit after many very positive reviews on the Dyna forum, for my Low Rider. My bike is in for the 1k service and I had them put the kit on the list as well. Got a call today because the caliper adapter (to move the caliper out to fit the larger rotor) does't fit. Seems the bolt holes are misaligned. After a bit of research I found that Ness apparently mistakenly packaged some older (pre-2006) adapters in kits for newer bikes. The shop is sorting out the replacement, but it means days... So just an FYI, anyone who may buy this kit - 02-972, double check that the fork side bolt holes of the caliper adapter bracket line up before proceeding with the install. Save yourself from some headaches...

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...a869ce4988.jpg

Mchad 01-08-2019 08:30 PM

Important Update: It turns out that there is NO adapter that will make these kits fit 2018+ softails. The service manager at my dealer spoke to Ness and they verified that Revzilla's part finder was incorrect and none of their sets fit the new softails. I called Revzilla and they are refunding the cost of the kit, return shipping and are giving me a credit for the labor. Cash would have been better, but I'll certainly find a use for the credit, so I'm fine with it.

So please note that there are NO Arlen Ness Big Brake Kits that will fit the 2018+ Softails.

OldMike 01-08-2019 08:37 PM

Thanks for the update cause this was on my list.

badcooky 01-08-2019 08:38 PM

That's no good, live to learn right.

Mchad 01-08-2019 08:42 PM

Yeah, it sucks. I really was looking forward to this. Oh well, at least I won't be out anything but some time...

They did say they were working on the kit, but don't expect it until summer. (that's US summer cooky...)

badcooky 01-08-2019 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mchad (Post 17946139)
Yeah, it sucks. I really was looking forward to this. Oh well, at least I won't be out anything but some time...

They did say they were working on the kit, but don't expect it until summer. (that's US summer cooky...)

IKR ha ,all good best time to find out it don't fit though is winter right..
We ride all year round Chadster I think only crazy guys or from South of the Mason Dixon line ride in winter over there.
Cheers man.

Mchad 01-09-2019 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by badcooky (Post 17946257)
IKR ha ,all good best time to find out it don't fit though is winter right..
We ride all year round Chadster I think only crazy guys or from South of the Mason Dixon line ride in winter over there.
Cheers man.

Yeah, I work with a couple of ppl from Melbourne, one lives on a farm out in the bush well outside the city. I know all about your weather!

And and yes indeed, I’m definitely one of those crazy guys. As long as its above the freezing point (ice concerns) and/or there’s no salt on the roads, I ride all year long. I’ve got excellent wind proof insulation layers that keep me warm at highway speeds in the low 30’s (or 1-3 deg for you metric types).

Mchad 01-09-2019 01:08 PM

Here's a new twist on the story... The service manager at my dealer called me today. He had been talking to Arlen Ness about the issue, gave them specs and photos of the clearance problem, etc. He told me one of the senior guys over there called him earlier today and said since they already had the specs for the new softail bracket (which they hadn't put into mass production yet) they were going to custom make one for my bike and send it out tomorrow.

How the F about that for customer service? I don't know too many:

a) HD service departments who would spend the time and effort to get this done,
and b) product vendors who would go the extra mile like Ness is doing.

I'm honestly blown away about this. My hats off to Empire HD in New Rochelle NY, and to Arlen Ness.

And the funny part is they already put my bike back together with the stock brakes lol.

I'll update as it progresses.

OldMike 01-09-2019 02:21 PM

That's cool, gonna need a full review when done.

Mchad 01-09-2019 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldMike (Post 17947778)
That's cool, gonna need a full review when done.

Yep, will do