Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2018+ Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models-206/)
-   -   Slip ons compared (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models/1266902-slip-ons-compared.html)

metalmoto 01-09-2019 06:01 AM

Slip ons compared

I'm in the process of deciding what I want for replacing the stock mufflers. I'm not looking for stage 1 but just smaller cans with good looks and sound. I like the Cobra NH Series 3" but I'm not sure because where I live there's no option to check them out on someones bike. For all I know they could sound like crap. The soundclips that are available on youtube are either bad or mostly for the 4" touring NH's. I assume they sound different.

Has anybody heard these on an M8 Softail? How do they compare to other cans i.e. RCX, Twin Slash, Eliminator 300 etc. If it helps: I like the sound of the Twin Slash but I want something else because they are very common here.

Any info would be very helpful. Thanks.

OldMike 01-09-2019 08:59 AM

Don't know about the Cobra. But, I think any 3" can would look nice on my bike, the RCX sound would be my choice (so far), still looking.
If I go to a larger diameter can muffler that can be adjusted for sound and performance then I'm looking at S&S and TAB Performance.

Rican219 01-09-2019 12:27 PM

Here is mine. My bike came with Tab Performance Zombie Baffled Slipons and I changed it to a 2 into 1 Supertrapp Bootlegger

OldMike 01-09-2019 12:36 PM

Nice Supertrapp!
Can you comment on not having heat shields.

Rican219 01-09-2019 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by OldMike (Post 17947504)
Nice Supertrapp!
Can you comment on not having heat shields.

Thanks!
Yeah so not having the heat shields is interesting. Now that it is colder I have found myself pulling my legs closer to the motor and I did that once and immediately knew I was too close. Didn't melt my jeans or anything but I know I was too close. It takes some getting used to but now I find it not to be an issue. I guess I could have someone make some if it becomes a real problem but so far so good.

tabperformance 01-09-2019 01:55 PM

Here is a sound clip and we have others on our Youtube channel as well as installation videos for those interested in learning more about some options.

ryday 01-09-2019 03:10 PM

chep muffler solution

Wanna sound like Satan just pulled up to offer you a deal for your soul? Keep your soul, and your money. Take a dremmel tool with the round flat metal cut off bit and run it around the inside of the weld on your stock pipes until you've cut through the end cap. Or you can take them off and just cut back that much of the pipe. Take out the baffles. you may have to grind down the weld to get them out, unless you cut them off of course. Order TTI's from DKcutomproducts.com. Super easy istall. Drill two holes. I did the whole thing in an hour and didn't have to remove the pipes. I did have a 90 degree drill. Yes, you have to have these or you lose torque, but they are only $40 shipping and all and someone said they found them cheaper on ebay. Added at least 20 percent more power and you'll be scarring little kiddies and old ladies wherever you go. Ride-on fellow elcheapos.

DK Custom 01-09-2019 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by ryday (Post 17947907)
Wanna sound like Satan just pulled up to offer you a deal for your soul? Keep your soul, and your money. Take a dremmel tool with the round flat metal cut off bit and run it around the inside of the weld on your stock pipes until you've cut through the end cap. Or you can take them off and just cut back that much of the pipe. Take out the baffles. you may have to grind down the weld to get them out, unless you cut them off of course. Order TTI's from DKcutomproducts.com. Super easy istall. Drill two holes. I did the whole thing in an hour and didn't have to remove the pipes. I did have a 90 degree drill. Yes, you have to have these or you lose torque, but they are only $40 shipping and all and someone said they found them cheaper on ebay. Added at least 20 percent more power and you'll be scarring little kiddies and old ladies wherever you go. Ride-on fellow elcheapos.

Here are a couple of vids of what you describe-

lizard86 01-09-2019 04:38 PM

I did the exact mod in the second video DK Customs posted. The sound is much improved and no loss of power felt. I cant verify any power improvements because i havent had the bike dynoed but it sounds much better and feels just as powerful if not more powerful than before the mod.

metalmoto 01-09-2019 05:14 PM

Thanks for the replies all! That Kerker looks and sounds SICK! Although it's way over budget for me, I really dislike the stock mufflers. They are colossal and make the FXBB look out of proportion. I'm gonna keep it technically stock except for the slip ons. I'm looking for affordable options with classic looks. I got parts off the slim and had the stock AC rebuilt. Looks pretty good! The NH's would fit with the theme visually. Now if only I knew what the sound like.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...bfa4374e75.jpg