Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2018+ Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models-206/)
-   -   Cool Cheap speaker solution (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models/1266961-cool-cheap-speaker-solution.html)

ryday 01-09-2019 02:50 PM

Cool Cheap speaker solution

I just purchased a 2019 softail slim and I'm an audiophile. I hate fairings and the boom speakers are expensive and bulky. I came up with an inexpensive solution. I bought the value line eagle one handlebar bag on sale for $60. Inside goes my phone and a 26000Mah battery pack. It just so happens that the new Bose soundlink micro speakers silicon belt strap fits perfectly around the small top bar. The speakers link 2 together to make stereo sound easily and fit perfectly on either side of the strap in the middle of the velcro strap that mounts the handlebar bag. The cord to each speaker easily comes out of the top of the sides of the bag with it shut. The speakers are waterproof and drop resistant and small enough to put on your belt, in a jacket pocket, or in a backpack if you hate saddlebags. Then you have your mobile party speaker with you as well. The 2 together aren't incredibly loud and base is not there of course, but you can jam out to some AC/DC with the baffles and cats removed at 65mph and still hear it. Would not be a good solution at interstate speeds, but the cost and usability far outweigh the performance. So, $60 for the bag(you can get a cheaper one for $25 at any flee market, but this one works really well), $150 for 2 Bose micro soundlink speakers at promotebuy.com right now, and $65 for a 26000Mah battery pack for those really long trips(which you could buy a $10 4000Mah battery pack at Ross). You're cruisin' to tunes for $275 or less. Rock on fellow elcheapos.

drinktothat421 01-09-2019 03:23 PM

I thought about tring to do something like that. But just went for 600watt boss speakers. Going go see if i can run them from the 2pin for easy disconnect. $57 bucks off amazon. I was more interested in the mtx roadrhunder bluetooth sound bar its about 300 for the 100watt amd 400 for the 300 watt. But wanted to go thr cheap way 57 for the system 20 bucks for a 2pin on off switch.

FrankEV 01-12-2019 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by ryday (Post 17947869)
I just purchased a 2019 softail slim and I'm an audiophile. I hate fairings and the boom speakers are expensive and bulky. I came up with an inexpensive solution. I bought the value line eagle one handlebar bag on sale for $60. Inside goes my phone and a 26000Mah battery pack. It just so happens that the new Bose soundlink micro speakers silicon belt strap fits perfectly around the small top bar. The speakers link 2 together to make stereo sound easily and fit perfectly on either side of the strap in the middle of the velcro strap that mounts the handlebar bag. The cord to each speaker easily comes out of the top of the sides of the bag with it shut. The speakers are waterproof and drop resistant and small enough to put on your belt, in a jacket pocket, or in a backpack if you hate saddlebags. Then you have your mobile party speaker with you as well. The 2 together aren't incredibly loud and base is not there of course, but you can jam out to some AC/DC with the baffles and cats removed at 65mph and still hear it. Would not be a good solution at interstate speeds, but the cost and usability far outweigh the performance. So, $60 for the bag(you can get a cheaper one for $25 at any flee market, but this one works really well), $150 for 2 Bose micro soundlink speakers at promotebuy.com right now, and $65 for a 26000Mah battery pack for those really long trips(which you could buy a $10 4000Mah battery pack at Ross). You're cruisin' to tunes for $275 or less. Rock on fellow elcheapos.

Could you post a pic of this setup.

And, there seems to be a couple of different Bose Micro Soundlink speakers of different prices. Is there a specific model you chose?

Thanks

ryday 01-12-2019 05:18 PM

yes everyone has a different price for these, but it is the micro. This is Bose answer to the wearable speaker. Bose quit being the innovator and got cheap and just rip off the other guys now. It's their first speaker that can be paired for stereo. Altec lansing has the ability to use more than 2 speakers, so I suppose that will be next for Bose. And then they'll make sure those don't work with the ones you already have so that you have to buy more like they did with the new soundlinks. Bose has turned into mexican crap, but they are still the best sounding smallest speakers for the money. Sorry, but I can't do pics unfortunately. I'm a caveman and can't get my computer to download pics off my camera.

drinktothat421 01-12-2019 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by FrankEV (Post 17954283)
Could you post a pic of this setup.

And, there seems to be a couple of different Bose Micro Soundlink speakers of different prices. Is there a specific model you chose?

Thanks

BOSS Audio MCBK420B Bluetooth, All-Terrain, Weatherproof Speaker And Amplifier Sound System, Two 3 Inch Speakers, Bluetooth Amplifier, Inline Volume Control, Ideal For Motorcycles/ATV and 12 Volt Applications https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T3QBL3M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-tOoCbC7SFNXR

there was an 800 watt system i didnt lioe the peaker grill or the amp wiring harness. The best would be one woth a build in power button so you have have the battery drain. Im just puttong a power switch in line to the sae 2 pin pigtail. One i get it all set up ill post pics.

Carlos G Godfrog 01-13-2019 01:58 PM

Wire it through a relay activated by the acc position on the ign switch.

drinktothat421 01-14-2019 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Carlos G Godfrog (Post 17957304)
Wire it through a relay activated by the acc position on the ign switch.

the 2 pin is way easier.

Carlos G Godfrog 01-14-2019 09:06 AM

True, but you must remember to always unplug or you will have parasitic draw. Either that or a in-line 5 amp DC rated switch. AC switches switch best on the zero crossover 8 ms after activation. The contacts are not rated for hard switching without burning and pitting. The BOSS audio also recommends using a relay.

drinktothat421 01-14-2019 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Carlos G Godfrog (Post 17958971)
True, but you must remember to always unplug or you will have parasitic draw. Either that or a in-line 5 amp DC rated switch. AC switches switch best on the zero crossover 8 ms after activation. The contacts are not rated for hard switching without burning and pitting. The BOSS audio also recommends using a relay.

i have a 2pin wire with a switch that im going to use. I also found a harley electrical upgrade harness that uses the bike data port. But it was for touring models. Im not that interested in taping into the electircal. If the 2 pins works ill be happy.

ryday 01-18-2019 02:38 PM

and that's why it's just easier to keep the whole thing separate from the bike. But I certainly agree that it would be louder and cheaper than my solution.