2018+ Softail Models Breakout

looking at new Low Rider - owner feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:28 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ88V
Thanks for all your replies! Exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for.

If the Ness BBK works on this bike, I'd say go for it. Huge improvement on my Dyna.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't like these bars. I need to really sit on some others and see what they have. Imagine takeoffs will start showing up on eBay as more of this Softail line entered the market.

BTW, is it ok to discuss price on this forum? I think the dealer was making me an excellent offer, but that's partly because of wherew and partly because he's competing with a low mileage 2018 I'm looking at. Gotta admit I'm way more spun up on this than I should be. Would be good to hear what kind of discounts you guys for before I get carried away here. LOL
Oh, and as far as bars, the upper tree is the same spacing as they Dyna's, so aside from slightly different bushings, any bar/riser from a Dyna will fit. And the new ease of increasing clutch and brake line length makes it a less complicated job (though still possibly needing dealer involvement for ABS bikes)

The following 2 users liked this post by Mchad:
AJ88V (01-15-2019), XXTHESANDMANXX (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 10:29 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Sport Glide. It'll probably work out cheaper than buying a Low Rider and having to mod it.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:31 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mark Faulkner
Sport Glide. It'll probably work out cheaper than buying a Low Rider and having to mod it.
You gotta like forward controls though. I don't, so that disqualified it for me when I was looking...

Old 01-15-2019, 10:57 AM
14IronCross
Banned
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

Yep, and it is a blast to ride.
You also get the externally adjustable rear shock and upside down fork. ABS, cruise control...

Love mine

Old 01-15-2019, 11:21 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by 14IronCross

Yep, and it is a blast to ride.
You also get the externally adjustable rear shock and upside down fork. ABS, cruise control...

Love mine
Great looking wheels.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:22 AM
14IronCross
Banned
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks, they seem to be an acquired taste for most people.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:37 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
You gotta like forward controls though. I don't, so that disqualified it for me when I was looking...
They're not like the forwards on a Dyna. The forwards on my '18 Breakout weren't much further forward than the FF mids on my FXDLS. The Dyna had forwards on when i got it, and i couldn't get them off fast enough. The Breakout forwards were really nice, far enough forward to make long trips comfortable, close enough to put some weight through the pegs. But we all fit these things differently.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:15 PM
XXTHESANDMANXX
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Oh, and as far as bars, the upper tree is the same spacing as they Dyna's, so aside from slightly different bushings, any bar/riser from a Dyna will fit. And the new ease of increasing clutch and brake line length makes it a less complicated job (though still possibly needing dealer involvement for ABS bikes)
that is good to know.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:39 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by XXTHESANDMANXX
that is good to know.
Yep, I've got 12" Wild1 WO564's on mine and they bolted right up.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:27 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

They're not like the forwards on a Dyna. The forwards on my '18 Breakout weren't much further forward than the FF mids on my FXDLS. The Dyna had forwards on when i got it, and i couldn't get them off fast enough. The Breakout forwards were really nice, far enough forward to make long trips comfortable, close enough to put some weight through the pegs. But we all fit these things differently.
You must be right. I could barely operate the Dyna forwards. Didn't like them much on my wife's Sporty either. Just couldn't get my weight onto either bike's pegs to stabilize over rough stuff or to shift weight in the sharper turns.

Anybody know if the parts from the Softail forwards will bolt up? Need to look at both setups, though I did note HD moved the rear brake master cylinder forward to make for simpler/lighter assembly.

I'm still leaning towards this Low Rider. Bags and a short sissy bar would get me 90% there. The HD bags are really pricey - $700 and you need a $100 turn signal relo kit. But even adding $1K would still put me well below the other models.

Originally Posted by jpeloke
I love my 18. I had them install the cruise control from Harley and it works great. .
Never had CC on a bike before. Might be kind of cool. How much did this run to add the cruise control? I'm surprised Harley would do this, since they like to reserve the features to push you onto the more expensive models.

Lots of good info being shared here by you guys, Learning a lot from you!

Last edited by AJ88V; 01-15-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply: looking at new Low Rider - owner feedback?