2018+ Softail Models Breakout

looking at new Low Rider - owner feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 04:29 PM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

The pegs are higher making the new Low Rider feel cramped compared to the typical Harley. You'll love the extra ground clearance. I'm 6'-0" and I've gotten used to the peg position. I just got a mono shock from a heritage. The heritage shock is longer and has the hydraulic preload adjustment. I think the short shock that comes with the Low Rider is harsh and blows through the travel too easily. I'm hoping the longer shock will net better clearance and comfort.
I don't hate the bars, but I might throw some trackers on just because.
Lots of parts are coming out for the new softails, more than there were a year ago anyway.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:54 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,508 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ88V
Never had CC on a bike before. Might be kind of cool. How much did this run to add the cruise control? I'm surprised Harley would do this, since they like to reserve the features to push you onto the more expensive models.

Lots of good info being shared here by you guys, Learning a lot from you!
The switch packs w/cruise is $249 list I believe. If you install it yourself (like I did when changing my bars) you only have to get your dealer to flip a switch with their digital tech. Mine did it for free.

Originally Posted by Tozco
The pegs are higher making the new Low Rider feel cramped compared to the typical Harley. You'll love the extra ground clearance. I'm 6'-0" and I've gotten used to the peg position. I just got a mono shock from a heritage. The heritage shock is longer and has the hydraulic preload adjustment. I think the short shock that comes with the Low Rider is harsh and blows through the travel too easily. I'm hoping the longer shock will net better clearance and comfort.
I don't hate the bars, but I might throw some trackers on just because.
Lots of parts are coming out for the new softails, more than there were a year ago anyway.
Ohlins USA told me that Sweden is working on 13” mono shocks, without the remote preload ****. I don’t want a silver **** stuck to the side of my slowly being blacked out bike... I can’t wait!

Old 01-15-2019, 05:17 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Well, it looks like I'm a new owner. Just bought a 2019 in black, 873 miles, for $11.5. Figure shipping is gonna cost me another $500.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:30 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,508 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Well, it looks like I'm a new owner. Just bought a 2019 in black, 873 miles, for $11.5. Figure shipping is gonna cost me another $500.
Sounds like a good deal. Congrats! Where did you find it?

Old 01-15-2019, 06:16 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,209 Posts

WOW! Can't wait to see it and help you spend money on it.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:59 PM
AJ88V
Road Master

Thanks, guys. Feeling kind of shakey on this 'cause I really did want to buy local and establish a relationship with the local dealer, but the $2500 I'll be saving should buy some nice accessories. At a minimum, I'll pay for the 1st service just to make things copacetic.

Immediate plans will be to mount my MS batwing fairing and figure out some small, tasteful sissy bar for passengers.

Next pick out some bags - maybe even HD's bags - but may hold out till I figure out the exhaust and tuning. Thinking 2-into-1 catless (Bassani? Thunderheader? Supertrap? Cobra?) and a tuner.

And likely the big brake kit, but want to see what the stock brakes are like first.

This is insane. Any other bike I'd ride for years before modding it. Heck, I LIKE keeping bikes stock. Last time I did this was for my 1989 Sportster (bought new), which I had planned before I even bought it.

FWIW, that Sporty ended up with power just a bit north of where this one is starting out. Wonder where this one will end up....

Old 01-15-2019, 09:14 PM
14IronCross
Banned
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

Congrats on the bike

Old 01-16-2019, 07:46 PM
AJ88V
Road Master

Bike is with an Indian dealer in Florida. Note that this is the 3rd bike I've bought online, sight unseen. Have to move quick if you want a good deal, but you also take the risk.

Evidently the owner got raped by the local Harley dealer and the guy was so pissed off he went over to the Indian dealer and traded it in on a new tourer. Sales manager gave me the whole story, but mostly they just wanted to move the trade in. Have had lots of convos with the manager and everything has checked out with both the bike and the dealer. Bit of trouble getting it shipped quickly, but payments are made and should have the paperwork by Friday.

Gotta admit, I didn't really like the black base colors in the photos, but looks good in person when I was at the dealer.

OldMike - looking forward to the "help" spending money on the mods. It's funny when you find a deal, because it justifies all kinds of idiocies since my mind thinks it's got about $3K to spend on the savings. 157" kit here I come! LOL!!!!

Mchad and others, nice to meet you all. Experience is the best teacher, and you folks are the pioneers on the new Softail line. Looking to learn how to move forward on this scoot.

Since I've got at least a full year of warranty, I won't mess with anything that busts that, but that still leaves me a lot of space to play.

The way I was thinking, with my 88" Dyna, I needed at least an exhaust for $800 and a cam and tensioner shoes for $300 just to get her to maybe 75HP. Now I have a much updated chassis and an engine already starting out over 80HP. Now I gotta decide if I'll sell her or sell my Busa. At least one has to go. Decisions decisions........

Old 01-16-2019, 07:59 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Bike is with an Indian dealer in Florida. Note that this is the 3rd bike I've bought online, sight unseen. Have to move quick if you want a good deal, but you also take the risk.

Evidently the owner got raped by the local Harley dealer and the guy was so pissed off he went over to the Indian dealer and traded it in on a new tourer. Sales manager gave me the whole story, but mostly they just wanted to move the trade in. Have had lots of convos with the manager and everything has checked out with both the bike and the dealer. Bit of trouble getting it shipped quickly, but payments are made and should have the paperwork by Friday.

Gotta admit, I didn't really like the black base colors in the photos, but looks good in person when I was at the dealer.

OldMike - looking forward to the "help" spending money on the mods. It's funny when you find a deal, because it justifies all kinds of idiocies since my mind thinks it's got about $3K to spend on the savings. 157" kit here I come! LOL!!!!

Mchad and others, nice to meet you all. Experience is the best teacher, and you folks are the pioneers on the new Softail line. Looking to learn how to move forward on this scoot.

Since I've got at least a full year of warranty, I won't mess with anything that busts that, but that still leaves me a lot of space to play.

The way I was thinking, with my 88" Dyna, I needed at least an exhaust for $800 and a cam and tensioner shoes for $300 just to get her to maybe 75HP. Now I have a much updated chassis and an engine already starting out over 80HP. Now I gotta decide if I'll sell her or sell my Busa. At least one has to go. Decisions decisions........
Check out the "18+ Low Rider Owners" thread for some ideas.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:00 PM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 578 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to the FXLR world from SE VA. I'm too lazy to look up NADA value but it sounds to me like you got a pretty good deal. First time you grab a fist full of throttle on that M8 you'll be grinning and eating bugs. I'm putting a set of 10" mini apes on mine as we speak. I can vouch for what others have said about the stock bars.

-jeff

Last edited by ole_phart; 01-16-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Quick Reply: looking at new Low Rider - owner feedback?