2018+ Softail Models Breakout

cheap aftermarket air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 12:33 PM
XXTHESANDMANXX
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default cheap aftermarket air intake?

I have seen on amazon . some aftermarket air intakes , that look identical to certain hi end air intakes, has anyone purchased one . . aside from the price what is the difference .

Old 01-21-2019, 05:02 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Which one? When they say its billet, its most likely cast and fitment may be an issue. Most likely will include a cheaper air filter. Most of the other kits that are pricey include the K&N filter.

The following users liked this post:
XXTHESANDMANXX (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 05:27 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by DonN
Which one? When they say its billet, its most likely cast and fitment may be an issue. Most likely will include a cheaper air filter. Most of the other kits that are pricey include the K&N filter.
^^^^^ what Don said ^^^^

If it looks like a casting, it probably is a casting, and probably not a good one. Lots of reports of them cracking. Might work out better on a counter-balanced M8 engine, but do you really want to find out your cleaner backing plate is cracked and not sealing, and then wonder how long you've been riding around letting dirty air past your filter?

The following users liked this post:
XXTHESANDMANXX (01-21-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 11:21 AM
Blackp5ca
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I have experience with the knock off air cleaners, I bought one of the Roland Sands knock off's for my brother in-laws Rocker and a Performance Machine knock off for a buddy's Sportster..I had the real Performance Machine intake on my old Blackline and to be honest...I couldn't tell the difference. The quality of the knock off air cleaners in both cases was really impressive, machining and finish was top notch, fit was perfect in both instances. the filter elements may have been different (as in not a K&N) but quality was also great and re-usable.
I would not hesitate to buy a knock off air intake again, especially at 1/3rd the price. Just my 2-cents

Old 01-22-2019, 03:20 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackp5ca
I have experience with the knock off air cleaners, I bought one of the Roland Sands knock off's for my brother in-laws Rocker and a Performance Machine knock off for a buddy's Sportster..I had the real Performance Machine intake on my old Blackline and to be honest...I couldn't tell the difference. The quality of the knock off air cleaners in both cases was really impressive, machining and finish was top notch, fit was perfect in both instances. the filter elements may have been different (as in not a K&N) but quality was also great and re-usable.
I would not hesitate to buy a knock off air intake again, especially at 1/3rd the price. Just my 2-cents
Roland Sands and Performance machine are FAR from cheap Chinese knock offs, they are decent brands.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:46 PM
XXTHESANDMANXX
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Blackp5ca
i have heard the same thing from different people on different sites , since I have been doing research on these bootleg ones. I am going to take a leap of faith and get one . thanks for the reply

Old 01-22-2019, 05:25 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by XXTHESANDMANXX
i have heard the same thing from different people on different sites , since I have been doing research on these bootleg ones. I am going to take a leap of faith and get one . thanks for the reply
Why not give us a clue as to exactly which one you are referring to ?
I think everyone would just like to see it...

Thanks!

T.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:35 PM
XXTHESANDMANXX
Cruiser

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Why not give us a clue as to exactly which one you are referring to ?
I think everyone would just like to see it...

Thanks!

T.
I dont know if its allowed to post links of stuff for sale from non supporting vendors , but they are bootleg roland sands and performance machine , they are being sold on ebay and amazon. https://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Chrome-...nyk:rk:17:pf:0 this is just one example and the one I was looking at

Old 01-22-2019, 07:05 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

As long as the fitment is tight, should be ok. Just keep an eye on it for cracks. I would really consider replacing the filter itself as thats the critical element.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:44 AM
XXTHESANDMANXX
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DonN
As long as the fitment is tight, should be ok. Just keep an eye on it for cracks. I would really consider replacing the filter itself as thats the critical element.
will keep that in mind ,cheers

Quick Reply: cheap aftermarket air intake?