2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2018 FXBB Front cylinder issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 07:08 AM
Geriden
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2018 FXBB Front cylinder issues?

So i've got an issue with my 2018 FXBB.... dont know if its common since the model is still new or if any of you have any experiences of something similar?

Tried to fire up the bike this morning for work and it wouldn't start, the battery sounds like it had plenty of juice in it but the bike just wouldnt "bite", white smoke pissing out the exhaust. (i assumed it was battery to begin with since my first week of ownership last year i had a battery issue)
Gave my dealer a call they came to pick it up, the driver went to start it up and straight away said that it isnt the battery and seems like an issue with the front cylinder not firing - he also stated that he's never seen this before with the new 2018's.

So whats your thoughts? anyone with something similar?
If it is a front cylinder issue how serious could this be, a lot of work involved?

Cheers.

EDIT: Only mods i've done to the bike is Vance and hines slip on's. (this doesn't affect the UK warranty)

Last edited by Geriden; 01-21-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:09 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Geriden
the driver went to start it up and straight away said that it isnt the battery and seems like an issue with the front cylinder not firing
I want to stay tuned to see if the driver gets promoted to technician or stays a driver.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:38 AM
Geriden
Advanced

So i received an update:

They're currently still diagnosing but needed to ask me some questions as the fault appears to be related to a large build up of moisture in the oil so he needed to know How i wash the bike (if its ever been jet washed), where its stored etc.
So sadly nothing conclusive yet, they're doing an oil change as part of the diagnosis but i cant figure out how enough moisture would have penetrated the bike to have caused this issue.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:37 PM
username already exists
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

So i received an update:

They're currently still diagnosing but needed to ask me some questions as the fault appears to be related to a large build up of moisture in the oil so he needed to know How i wash the bike (if its ever been jet washed), where its stored etc.
So sadly nothing conclusive yet, they're doing an oil change as part of the diagnosis but i cant figure out how enough moisture would have penetrated the bike to have caused this issue.

Now THAT's troubling! Water in the oil in an air cooled engine means either infiltration or (a lot of) condensation.
Given the season though, my guess is condensation. Do you by chance run it for short periods of time in cool weather?

By all means, let us know what the dealer tells you.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:41 PM
auburntsts
Cruiser

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

I’m just curious how the driver determined it was a front cylinder issue.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:40 AM
Geriden
Advanced

Originally Posted by username already exists
Now THAT's troubling! Water in the oil in an air cooled engine means either infiltration or (a lot of) condensation.
Given the season though, my guess is condensation. Do you by chance run it for short periods of time in cool weather?

By all means, let us know what the dealer tells you.
The only diagnosis they could come to was from the bike being used for short trips.
As i use it for my daily commuter, rain or shine - the cold snap and short distance isnt allow the engine to get up to temps and fully evaporate the moisture.

Its kinda pissed me off really... spanking new motorcycle cant be used for all my required purposes. To help combat the condensation im leaving the bike running idle a little longer when begging and finishing my journey, and will attempt to take it out on longer rides weekly provided the snow and ice isn't too heavy.

Any tips or tricks to help prevent the condensation build up? Maybe particular areas of the bike i could coat in ACF50?

Old 01-30-2019, 06:24 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 722 Likes on 443 Posts

The only diagnosis they could come to was from the bike being used for short trips.
As i use it for my daily commuter, rain or shine - the cold snap and short distance isnt allow the engine to get up to temps and fully evaporate the moisture.

Its kinda pissed me off really... spanking new motorcycle cant be used for all my required purposes. To help combat the condensation im leaving the bike running idle a little longer when begging and finishing my journey, and will attempt to take it out on longer rides weekly provided the snow and ice isn't too heavy.

Any tips or tricks to help prevent the condensation build up? Maybe particular areas of the bike i could coat in ACF50?
Take it in the house with ya.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:40 AM
ghostwars
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2018 street bob burning oil

hi guys
so i got my bike serviced for the 1st time about 2 weeks later i checked the oil it was low so went back to the dealer got it topped up was told ride it 4 a 1000ks then will see whats what . in the meantime the front left fork seal went spewing oil everywhere after they replaced it they checked the oil again to find it was way down after about 600 ks . did a comp test and losing pressure in rear cylinder so now have it booked in 4 a strip down an likly rings need to be replaced . and it has less than 6000 kilometers on the clock . what do you guys think ?

Old 03-14-2019, 07:10 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Any vehicle with an internal combustion engine produces water as a byproduct. Any vehicle will have condensation in the oil if only run for short trips, Harley’s need about 30 minutes for the oil to get hot enough to vaporize the water out the breathers.

My ride to work was 10 min. I would purposely take the very longer way to work, to bump that travel time up to 30 min each way. This accomplished two things. 1) cleared the oil of condensation, and 2) gave me more saddle time. Problem solved.

Also, a lot of new owners like to start their bikes up just to smile and listen to it. (No offense, we all do it). But unless you’re going to ride it hot, it’s pretty much one of the worst things you can do to your motor. As per the above reasons. Idling the bike will NEVER get the oil hot enough.

Ride the bike!

Edit: ugh, I didn’t notice the dates and the irrelevant post that brought this thread back up to the top. Sorry.

Last edited by Mchad; 03-14-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:18 AM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,004 Likes on 713 Posts

Always get your bike nice and warmed up before you ride it, a nice new tight bike won't take long.And yes as Chad said ride long enough to get the oil to temperature and try to ride it there for a bit. Do you jet wash your bike ?

Peace HTH.

Quick Reply: 2018 FXBB Front cylinder issues?