2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Vance & Hines Pro Pipe on a Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 03:36 PM
tx freebird
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Vance & Hines Pro Pipe on a Heritage

I have not seen any updates of this particular exhaust option on a Heritage since November, so I am curious if anyone has recent experience, These is a used bike at my dealership with the black version installed. It looks great, but it was way too loud for my taste with the competition baffle (or lack thereof) option.

There is also a new low rider with the quiet baffle. It was less loud, but not a lot. A showroom floor is not a realistic sample point, unless it is way too loud. I plan to return tomorrow and test ride the lowrider just get a more realistic feel for whether I like it or not.

Does anyone actually have this pipe installed on their Heritage or other M8 107 softail?

Old 01-25-2019, 03:39 PM
moose545
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm running the SuperTrapp Bootlegger and it's loud enough but not obnoxious, makes you heard on the slab which is good, could go for a little more actually, but it's nice.

The following users liked this post:
tx freebird (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 03:52 PM
tx freebird
Cruiser

Is that the SuperTrapp (pn 135-71670) recently released that doesn't have heat shields? If so, has the absence of heat shields been a problem?

I am a huge fan of both Thunder Header and SuperTrapp complete systems and I've been waiting for one then to release something for the18-19 Heritage. I was tempted when I saw that on the website, but I was waiting to get more info on it. Ideally,

I would love to have a 2 into 1 with the flexibility of adding or removing baffles, but it doesn't look like anything will be available soon.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:55 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by tx freebird
Is that the SuperTrapp (pn 135-71670) recently released that doesn't have heat shields? If so, has the absence of heat shields been a problem?

I am a huge fan of both Thunder Header and SuperTrapp complete systems and I've been waiting for one then to release something for the18-19 Heritage. I was tempted when I saw that on the website, but I was waiting to get more info on it. Ideally,

I would love to have a 2 into 1 with the flexibility of adding or removing baffles, but it doesn't look like anything will be available soon.
Talking about some 2-1 over at this THREAD. Maybe something to help you out there.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:17 PM
tx freebird
Cruiser

Well, after test riding both competition and compliant versions, I pulled the trigger and ordered the compliant version today. I will go ahead with stage 1 when all the parts arrive, which will hopefully be next week.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:33 AM
moose545
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

No heat shields or baffle on mine, seems just right for me

The following users liked this post:
tx freebird (01-28-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 10:49 PM
tx freebird
Cruiser

Well, after test riding both competition and compliant versions, I pulled the trigger and ordered the compliant version today. I will go ahead with stage 1 when all the parts arrive, which will hopefully be next week.
The stage one was installed today. The quiet baffle is on back order until March 1, so I will ride without it a while. I don't have enough saddle time yet to have anything significant to report.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:43 PM
tx freebird
Cruiser

Baffle comparison update for 107 2018 Heritage

Caveat 1 - exhaust sound are very subjective - what sounds great to one rider can be overly loud to another. My personal preference is toward the quieter side, and I prefer a deep rumble as apposed to a "raspy bark" ( ie a V4 or most VRods at higher rpm)

Caveat 2 - my "seat of the pants" dyno is also very subjective and unreliable

I was able to ride about 350 miles on Saturday with stage 1, street legal Pro Pipe without the compliance baffle. It was slightly louder than my preference, but not obnoxious. It began to sound raspy above 3800 rpm, but I generally ride between 2800 and 3500 rpm anyway so this was not a show stopper.. The bike felt like a gained a little lower end torque and seemed to pull stronger above 2300 rpm compared to say 2400 before stage 1. My gas mileage was about 2 rpm better at rising speeds ot 35 to 70 mph. I only rode about 15 miles of Interstate travel about 75. My conclusion is that I could live with this setup and I definitely liked this exhaust better than other slip-ons or complete systems I had heard

The compliance baffle arrived yesterday and it was installed this morning. After blowing out the smoke and dust, I rode it about 100 miles this afternoon. This was an abbreviated version of the weekend ride. I absolutely love the sound. The tone was deep and the raspy bark essentially eliminated up to 4200 rpm. I did not detect any difference in performance, albeit with limited saddle time.

So, for my personal preferences, the V&H ProPipe with the baffle is the best system I have seen or heard for the M8 softail so far. This is a keeper.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:41 PM
FatBabyBoy
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Pro Pipe for my Sport Glide

Baffle comparison update for 107 2018 Heritage

Caveat 1 - exhaust sound are very subjective - what sounds great to one rider can be overly loud to another. My personal preference is toward the quieter side, and I prefer a deep rumble as apposed to a "raspy bark" ( ie a V4 or most VRods at higher rpm)

Caveat 2 - my "seat of the pants" dyno is also very subjective and unreliable

I was able to ride about 350 miles on Saturday with stage 1, street legal Pro Pipe without the compliance baffle. It was slightly louder than my preference, but not obnoxious. It began to sound raspy above 3800 rpm, but I generally ride between 2800 and 3500 rpm anyway so this was not a show stopper.. The bike felt like a gained a little lower end torque and seemed to pull stronger above 2300 rpm compared to say 2400 before stage 1. My gas mileage was about 2 rpm better at rising speeds ot 35 to 70 mph. I only rode about 15 miles of Interstate travel about 75. My conclusion is that I could live with this setup and I definitely liked this exhaust better than other slip-ons or complete systems I had heard

The compliance baffle arrived yesterday and it was installed this morning. After blowing out the smoke and dust, I rode it about 100 miles this afternoon. This was an abbreviated version of the weekend ride. I absolutely love the sound. The tone was deep and the raspy bark essentially eliminated up to 4200 rpm. I did not detect any difference in performance, albeit with limited saddle time.

So, for my personal preferences, the V&H ProPipe with the baffle is the best system I have seen or heard for the M8 softail so far. This is a keeper.
thanks for that. Pro Pipe or SE was my choice if I do pull trigger it will be Pro Pipe

Old 03-02-2019, 09:36 AM
yobtaf103
Road Master
Received 274 Likes on 176 Posts

What about this Supertrapp 2-1, anyone have one /

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines Pro Pipe on a Heritage