2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Upgrading air filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 04:08 AM
polbit
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Upgrading air filter

I need to get a little more sound, warranty-friendly for now. I'm planning on ordering the tuner and the street cannon muffler, with 2-piece slash cut tip and shield. My question is, do I really need to get the Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner kit? My leg is already hitting the stock filter, and I don't really want anything there that will stick out more, but more importantly, for stage I, does it make a noticable difference with canned tune? Is the stock filter restrictive?

Old 02-01-2019, 04:43 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by polbit
I need to get a little more sound, warranty-friendly for now. I'm planning on ordering the tuner and the street cannon muffler, with 2-piece slash cut tip and shield. My question is, do I really need to get the Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner kit? My leg is already hitting the stock filter, and I don't really want anything there that will stick out more, but more importantly, for stage I, does it make a noticable difference with canned tune? Is the stock filter restrictive?
You did not mention which M8 you have. If it is the 114, there is no need to upgrade the Air breather. And, from what I understand, you would not need athe Tuner to just change the pipes.

However, if it is the 107, I found the stage I upgrade to the Oval SE Air Breather with a K&N filter and a tune using the H-D Street Tuner did make a noticable difference in the engines performance. It bumped up the idle RPMS about 100 so the bike did not sound like it was about to stall when stopped at idle. It also eleminated the slight roll off throttle responce hesitation that was quite noticable when the bike was stock. Otherwise, I was not able to note any other performance improvements. The Oval Breather does not protrude and more than the stock round Breather.

I made these mods to my Cherry before changing the stock mufflers for Rineharts. From what I understand, the cannons are not much of an improvement with the sound over the stock pipes. The Rineharts are quite a popular choise for the '18 Heritage. They aren't too loud at idle or at slow speeds but will be heard when accelerating. Fairly good rumble at crusing speeds.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:10 AM
polbit
Tourer

Thanks, is a 107 (Sport Glide). I'll have to try the oval!

Old 02-01-2019, 08:47 AM
Hdbkstl
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 187 Posts

Thanks, is a 107 (Sport Glide). I'll have to try the oval!
Another option with the slip on is to just core out the stock can, and put in dk custom torque tabs. Essentially the same thing, and since the cat is in the can, you are getting rid of that.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:02 AM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

The short answer is No. All current Harley A/C's pass plenty enough air for the stock throttle bodies . If you want an A/C that fits better look at the Ventilator, I put one on just for that reason

The following users liked this post:
Flying2low (02-11-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 11:48 AM
polbit
Tourer

Originally Posted by Noisy Cricket
The short answer is No. All current Harley A/C's pass plenty enough air for the stock throttle bodies . If you want an A/C that fits better look at the Ventilator, I put one on just for that reason
Does it actually stick out less than stock? That would be music to my ears and reason alone to buy it.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:58 AM
polbit
Tourer

Ah crap, the Ventilator uses a K&N filter...

Old 02-01-2019, 01:02 PM
Hdbkstl
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 187 Posts

Does it actually stick out less than stock? That would be music to my ears and reason alone to buy it.
The ventilator style does stick out less. When i was looking, i couldn't stand how the 107 filter jammed into my knees. The stock 114 filter lays much flatter in my opinion.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:29 PM
14IronCross
Banned
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

I have ventilator on my sport glide and it sticks out about the same as stock or maybe slightly less, but nothing significant.
For something that your leg won't touch your only option might be the heavy breather kind.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:45 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Ah crap, the Ventilator uses a K&N filter...
The oval SE ventilator does not come with a K&N filter. I specifically ordered the K&N that fits it so it is washable and I don't have to replace it.

Quick Reply: Upgrading air filter