2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2018+ Sport Glide Windshield Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 04:05 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 861 Likes on 466 Posts
Default 2018+ Sport Glide Windshield Options

Although a lot of this information may exist in the 2018 Sport Glides Thread ,I though I would start a separate thread just for Sport Glide windshield / windscreen options so those looking specifically for wind management options wouldn't have to sift through all the posts in the other thread. It would be great if folks could post their height, inseam, and helmet type when sharing experiences with a certain windshield. Of coarse, wind management is as subjective as saddles.

I'm 5' 6", 31" inseam, and wear an Arai touring helmet. I do a lot of interstate travel at 70-77MPH.

I started off with the 5.5" windshield when I rode the bike away from the dealer. First thing I noticed on the way home was a lot of buffeting above 50MPH.

After a few days, I put the original windshield back on (the short one that came stock with the bike). There was a lot more wind around my helmet, but it was clean air, and not as loud as the buffeting from the 5.5" windshield. I figured if I never find a good windshield solution, I would put this one back on. Clean air (although noisy) is better than tons of buffeting.

I got an MRA X-Screen touring spoiler from Twisted Throttle and added to my 5.5" screen. After some micro-adjusting, I found a sweet spot that blocked most of the air off my helmet with very minimal buffeting. The only issue I had with this setup with a lot of wind noise on the sides of my helmet (right at my ears). I figures this was due to how narrow the 5.5" windshield is...its not much wider than a helmet.

In attempt to solve the width issues, I installed a Gustafsson windshield (link) which is almost as wide as the fairing itself. I was originally going to get a clear 9" and add my X-Screen spoiler to the top, but I ran into a really good deal on a used 12" tinted windshield (thanks fjoh !). I just installed the windshield last night, and it never got above 25°F here today so I'll have to report back later when I get a chance to run it up to speed.

The following users liked this post:
Bochawa72 (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 02:20 AM
Bochawa72
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I am 6'1" and 32/34" inseam. I wear a Shoei RF-SR helmet. I have the Clock Werks Flair windshield. I love it. CLEAN air up to about my eyebrows and the buffeting above that is minimal. I think it looks great with my 12" Lucky Daves San Diego bars too. It does contact on the clutch line and the master cylinder. I just glued a little tab of leather to each side and no more rubbing. It fits nicely between my Custom Dynamics turn signals too. Downside is it only comes in one size and color. It's about 8.5 inches above the top of the fairing. Most of my riding is at highway speeds. 70-80mph. With the stock setup I could feel when I hit 70 and buffeting really kicked in at 80. Now I don't really feel the same sensations until I hit 90. I'm really happy with it and think it goes great with the color scheme of the bike. I would like to see the bike with a Memphis Shades Road Warior faring and screen. I think that would look sharp and I like the idea of the different size screens that you can get in different colors. At least with this I didn't have to repaint or move my signals at all.

Last edited by Bochawa72; 02-10-2019 at 02:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bochawa72:
HarleyParmar (04-24-2019), rauchman (03-07-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 02:35 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Bochawa72
I would like to see the bike with a Memphis Shades Road Warior faring and screen.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mark Faulkner:
Bochawa72 (02-10-2019), Dheez (08-17-2019), rauchman (03-07-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 03:31 AM
Bochawa72
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Mark that looks great man! What bars do you have and do you think it would hit my T-bars? Mine just go straight up. Also how do like the seat? I'm thinking of going with the Lucky Daves one myself.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:49 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Bochawa72
Mark that looks great man! What bars do you have and do you think it would hit my T-bars? Mine just go straight up. Also how do like the seat? I'm thinking of going with the Lucky Daves one myself.
It's not my bike. I think Jessica Haggett (The Litas) has a Sport Glide with the Road Warrior fairing. Might be worth shooting her a message on Instagram. Not sure if this one is hers or not.
I did go with the Lucky Dave's seat for my Low Rider S and absolutely love it. I prefer the look over the Saddlemen seat. From what i read, the Saddlemen really locks you into postion. I prefer to be able move in the saddle a bit so i can shift my weight better for faster cornering, the Lucky Dave's is perfect for this, allowing me a bit of movement in the seat. To be fair, i never tried the Saddlemen, it's too expensive to import things into the UK for me to just try them out.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:59 PM
Rcruzr311
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
Although a lot of this information may exist in the 2018 Sport Glides Thread ,I though I would start a separate thread just for Sport Glide windshield / windscreen options so those looking specifically for wind management options wouldn't have to sift through all the posts in the other thread. It would be great if folks could post their height, inseam, and helmet type when sharing experiences with a certain windshield. Of coarse, wind management is as subjective as saddles.

I'm 5' 6", 31" inseam, and wear an Arai touring helmet. I do a lot of interstate travel at 70-77MPH.

I started off with the 5.5" windshield when I rode the bike away from the dealer. First thing I noticed on the way home was a lot of buffeting above 50MPH.

After a few days, I put the original windshield back on (the short one that came stock with the bike). There was a lot more wind around my helmet, but it was clean air, and not as loud as the buffeting from the 5.5" windshield. I figured if I never find a good windshield solution, I would put this one back on. Clean air (although noisy) is better than tons of buffeting.

I got an MRA X-Screen touring spoiler from Twisted Throttle and added to my 5.5" screen. After some micro-adjusting, I found a sweet spot that blocked most of the air off my helmet with very minimal buffeting. The only issue I had with this setup with a lot of wind noise on the sides of my helmet (right at my ears). I figures this was due to how narrow the 5.5" windshield is...its not much wider than a helmet.

In attempt to solve the width issues, I installed a Gustafsson windshield (link) which is almost as wide as the fairing itself. I was originally going to get a clear 9" and add my X-Screen spoiler to the top, but I ran into a really good deal on a used 12" tinted windshield (thanks fjoh !). I just installed the windshield last night, and it never got above 25°F here today so I'll have to report back later when I get a chance to run it up to speed.
Please let us know how this windshield does.

Im 5’10”. 30/31” inseam with a Shoei GT- Air helmet. A week ago installed the Klock Works.
Here’s my take. I feel more buffetting around my lower stomach and side area from off the tank I presume. I didn’t have that with the stock windshield. Above my belly button to my lower chin it’s clean air. Then I feel from the chin to mid helmet the air actually reverses. That’s what I feel when I put my hand up to feel the air. I can def tell the difference in the shoulder area, which is great so it’s not trying to pull you off the bike at 80mph, but I feel I’m still getting some turbulent air above that. I can also now ride with my helmet partially cracked without watery eyes so I know it’s doing a better job than stock.
For what it’s worth, I’m new to the windshield deal so maybe I was just expecting a little more clean air and quieter ride.
If the 12” Gustafsson works good for you please let me know. May sell the Klock Works and order that one. I did read somewhere the Gustafsson is thinner and tends to bend but I haven’t heard anyone say anything about it cracking. Can you do me a favor and measure from the top of the fairing to the top of the windshield? Thanks.
Maybe my helmet and a few inches difference in height is all the difference for me with the Klock Works.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:44 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rcruzr311

Please let us know how this windshield does.

Im 5’10”. 30/31” inseam with a Shoei GT- Air helmet. A week ago installed the Klock Works.
Here’s my take. I feel more buffetting around my lower stomach and side area from off the tank I presume. I didn’t have that with the stock windshield. Above my belly button to my lower chin it’s clean air. Then I feel from the chin to mid helmet the air actually reverses. That’s what I feel when I put my hand up to feel the air. I can def tell the difference in the shoulder area, which is great so it’s not trying to pull you off the bike at 80mph, but I feel I’m still getting some turbulent air above that. I can also now ride with my helmet partially cracked without watery eyes so I know it’s doing a better job than stock.
For what it’s worth, I’m new to the windshield deal so maybe I was just expecting a little more clean air and quieter ride.
If the 12” Gustafsson works good for you please let me know. May sell the Klock Works and order that one. I did read somewhere the Gustafsson is thinner and tends to bend but I haven’t heard anyone say anything about it cracking. Can you do me a favor and measure from the top of the fairing to the top of the windshield? Thanks.
Maybe my helmet and a few inches difference in height is all the difference for me with the Klock Works.
Hopefully I'll get a chance to get out and ride before March...but maybe not...it is Ohio

Something you'll notice with air around the tank is that the more wind you block with a windshield, the more wind you will get up around the tank. I had the 5.5" screen and spoiler on one day when the roads were still wet from rain overnight. I got a bit of muddy water splashed up onto the top right side of my tank. I noticed the bead of water would slide down and to the right of the tank, then get blown uphill to the top and center of my tank, then slide back down, then get blown back up. This same bead of water oscillated in this same cycle for several miles until I slowed down for a stop sign and the bead finally fell of the tank when I got below 40 MPH or so.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:18 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

Enough snow and ice melted to take the bike to work today. Big improvement over the 5.5" with the spoiler. No more wind on the side of my helmet. I still got a lot of buffeting around the tank. If I put my arm across my chest to block the wind coming up from my waist, it quieted down a lot.

Overall a good move. I may still try adding my spoiler to this windshield if for no other reason than I have it handy and it clamps right on.

The following users liked this post:
cobalt07 (10-25-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 08:34 PM
Royce
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
Enough snow and ice melted to take the bike to work today. Big improvement over the 5.5" with the spoiler. No more wind on the side of my helmet. I still got a lot of buffeting around the tank. If I put my arm across my chest to block the wind coming up from my waist, it quieted down a lot.

Overall a good move. I may still try adding my spoiler to this windshield if for no other reason than I have it handy and it clamps right on.
Great observation on the buffeting around the tank. I installed the Klock Werks and really like the lack of buffeting around my helmet, even at 90 mph. What I did notice however was the increased air coming up around the tank. I'm thinking about putting the original screen back on to compare, but may put that off for a while if for no other reason than I'm enjoying the lack of helmet buffeting. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone's come up with another solution to the tank buffeting issue.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:53 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

I may try to make some wind deflectors (similar to the "fangs" for the Heritage) out of Lexan that clamp onto the fork uppers. I wouldn't want to starve the engine of cooling air flow...just enough to break up the wind some. Finding clamps of some sort for those massive fork uppers may be a challenge.

Quick Reply: 2018+ Sport Glide Windshield Options