2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Dealer Discrepancies

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 08:44 AM
sped
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Dealer Discrepancies

My local dealer has two other dealerships located relatively close to each other. They are great and I really like going there for parts and advice and service when needed. I love the sales folks and the great people in motor close, but it's funny how much discrepancy there can be between them.

Location 1 where I bought my bike: You can add slip ons of your choice but you should trailer the bike here and let us put on an SE tuner and a heavy breather so it won't void your warranty.

Location 2 which is closer to home: Put whatever slip on mufflers you want and ride it here and we'll put an SE tuner on it and you're good to go. You don't need to upgrade your air cleaner as the 114 is already set up for that.

Location 3 in the snobby section of town: Shhh! If we talk about new exhausts you will void your warranty.

I'm thinking of tossing lawn darts to decide which way to go. LOL

I know I'm in the minority here...maybe alone but I was riding it home yesterday from Location 1 and I was thinking I like how my stock pipes sound. Maybe I should just wait till my warranty is up to make any changes...or at least get past winter.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:05 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,209 Posts

If you have an extended warrantee, that's a long wait.
I don't even own bikes that long.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:23 AM
sped
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
If you have an extended warrantee, that's a long wait.
I don't even own bikes that long.

Historically neither have I...except for my previous HD. I'm hoping my experience with my Heritage will replicate that.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:00 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

If they can come up with any excuse to void your warranty you can bet they will, whether they say they will or not.

The following users liked this post:
sped (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 12:13 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,219 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Dealers can't void warranties. Only Harley can do that.

The first answer to your dilemma is -- don't bother going to the dealer to have them put on the Screamin' Eagle tuner, that's something you can do yourself. If you can remove one screw from the left side, and plug it in, and plug a USB cable into your computer, then you can install and download and program the tune for your bike. Absolutely zero reason to have a dealer do it.

The second answer is: Harley says their Street Cannon pipes require the tuner. If you run the pipes without using the tuner, then -- technically you may have violated the terms of the warranty. So if you're getting Street Cannons, get the dumb tuner anyway. You'll need it if you ever want to go Stage II, and ... you want to go Stage II.

The third answer is: if you defeat the emissions control system on your bike, your Harley powertrain warranty is void. So if your bike has the cat in the mufflers, and you replace the mufflers with catless mufflers, then ... yeah, by the letter of the law and the printed letter of the warranty, it's void.

The fourth answer is: if you use EPA-compliant parts, Harley cannot void your warranty. But they might do it anyway. I have had a dealer tell me that on any powertrain warranty claim, Harley can ask for pictures of the exhaust, and if it's not a Harley exhaust, they deny the claim. Which could be illegal; if it's an EPA-compliant exhaust and they cannot show that the exhaust was responsible for causing the failure, then they legally cannot void the warranty for that. But apparently they're taking the attitude of "too bad, we're doing it anyway" and you may have to fight them in court to get the denial reversed.

So - keep it stock, no hassles. Keep it all Harley, no hassles. Go aftermarket but EPA-compliant, and you may have to fight for your rights. Go aftermarket and non-EPA-compliant, and you've just thrown your warranty in the trash.

sped (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 03:08 PM
username already exists
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

First thing to understand is that dealers are independent businesses with a license agreement with the manufacturer. They are not franchises like McDonald's and Burger King. The MoCo may put requirements on them, but they do not have an active role in (dealership) business management. In your scenario, where you're dealing with several satellite dealerships, go to the home dealership for your answer! That's where your answer is ultimately going to come from if there's ever an issue anyway. I have the same thing here. Bought a bike from the local shop, they flubbed up the deal and the home dealership made it right, or as near to right as they could be then.

I know I'm in the minority around here but, you did mention YOU were not particularly displeased with the OEM mufflers right? So, uh, why change? "Loud pipes saves lives" is after all, just a slogan on a tee shirt. IF there is some performance reason you wish to attain, sure go for it. If YOU are not happy with YOUR mufflers, sure go for it. Doing it because that's what everyone else does has never been a very good reason for anything in my own experience.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:42 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

From what I undersatand:
  1. A stage I upgrade of the air ventilator is not required because the 114 comes stock that way. Therefore you don't need to buy the SE tuner unless you go to some other H-D heavy breathers or Stage II.
  2. For most aftermarket Slipons (like my Rineharts) the bike does not require or benefit from a tune after they are installed.
  3. If you do buy the SE Tuner, as mentioned in a previous post, this is a DYI no brainer. No need to pay $90/hour tech time. My 107 benefited from a tune after a Stage I Air Ventilator upgrade, but most 114 owners don't bother unless they upgrade To Stage II or higher..
My service department guys don't look twice at slipons, but, if they determine you have used any aftermarket tuner they will notify H-D and the warentee will be voided.

If my motor needed significant warrentee work, I plan to just put the stock pipes back on before taking it in.

FWIW

sped (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 04:39 PM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

This is really simple, read the handbook. It makes it very clear what will void your warranty.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:56 PM
tx freebird
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by username already exists
First thing to understand is that dealers are independent businesses with a license agreement with the manufacturer. They are not franchises like McDonald's and Burger King. The MoCo may put requirements on them, but they do not have an active role in (dealership) business management. In your scenario, where you're dealing with several satellite dealerships, go to the home dealership for your answer! That's where your answer is ultimately going to come from if there's ever an issue anyway. I have the same thing here. Bought a bike from the local shop, they flubbed up the deal and the home dealership made it right, or as near to right as they could be then.
As stated, dealerships have a lot of flexibility in business management. I have had three separate dealerships refund or exchange parts that did not meet "common sense" appearance or duration standards. This involved chrome putting, a battery that failed one month out of warranty, and heated grips lasted six months. These dealers did this because it was "the right thing to do" without waiting for regional or corporate approval. Yes, I have seen poor customer service and received poor and/or delated service at some locations, but I did not return there if my complaints are at least discussed. If you have a choice which shop to support, building a longer term relationship with one dealership, rathe than shopping each pat or service job independently to save $50 has worked well for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by tx freebird:
sped (02-15-2019), username already exists (02-15-2019)