2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Pursuit of Increased Ground Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 08:41 AM
Crocodile Tears
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Pursuit of Increased Ground Clearance

So, I'm pretty dead set on picking up a FXLR in the next month or so. I'm coming off of dualsports, a BMW R1100S with full ohlins, and my current XL1200CX. My biggest knock on Harley's I always gave to my friends was always the poor brakes and cornering clearance. The Roadster came out and addressed all of these to me, so I picked it up. Truthfully, I enjoy the hell out of it but it's an awful highway bike. I look at the softails and the Low Rider is the closest thing to what I want, mainly due to the "mids" and larger fuel tank / cush seat.

What I'm looking for is to ditch the low rear suspension - the 12.5ish monoshock is directly swappable with the longer 13.1 out of a heritage. What I would be interested to know is if anyone here has jumped at the progressive 465, which is available all the way out to 13.5", to get the *** up even more.

I've got fairly short legs, but never had an issue with my significantly taller R1100S. I can't imagine, even with the longest shock available, that the seat height would be over 29"

I've had ok luck in the past shock swapping bikes, just would like some feedback in case going up that high would completely screw my belt tension or whatever

Old 03-02-2019, 08:56 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocodile Tears
So, I'm pretty dead set on picking up a FXLR in the next month or so. I'm coming off of dualsports, a BMW R1100S with full ohlins, and my current XL1200CX. My biggest knock on Harley's I always gave to my friends was always the poor brakes and cornering clearance. The Roadster came out and addressed all of these to me, so I picked it up. Truthfully, I enjoy the hell out of it but it's an awful highway bike. I look at the softails and the Low Rider is the closest thing to what I want, mainly due to the "mids" and larger fuel tank / cush seat.

What I'm looking for is to ditch the low rear suspension - the 12.5ish monoshock is directly swappable with the longer 13.1 out of a heritage. What I would be interested to know is if anyone here has jumped at the progressive 465, which is available all the way out to 13.5", to get the *** up even more.

I've got fairly short legs, but never had an issue with my significantly taller R1100S. I can't imagine, even with the longest shock available, that the seat height would be over 29"

I've had ok luck in the past shock swapping bikes, just would like some feedback in case going up that high would completely screw my belt tension or whatever
I think the ride quality is very good on the new FXLR so I don't see many changing shocks, especially to longer ones. There's lots of clearance (for a Harley) on these bikes, you'd have to take one for a ride. If you did go the a taller shock it won't affect anything, but you could check belt tension.
The FXLR is a relatively light bike for a Harley, I'd say braking is adequate but hoping to see a larger front disk kit soon.
Here's a deal for you if your near NE Ohio on this FXLR.

The following users liked this post:
jackddg22 (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 09:05 AM
Crocodile Tears
Novice

Originally Posted by OldMike
I think the ride quality is very good on the new FXLR so I don't see many changing shocks, especially to longer ones. There's lots of clearance (for a Harley) on these bikes, you'd have to take one for a ride. If you did go the a taller shock it won't affect anything, but you could check belt tension.
The FXLR is a relatively light bike for a Harley, I'd say braking is adequate but hoping to see a larger front disk kit soon.
Here's a deal for you if your near NE Ohio on this FXLR.
I agree on the ride quality, and they do turn surprisingly well for their size and weight. I am looking at it from a perspective of knowing the advertised lean angle on my Roadster and on the FXLR are pretty similar, and I scrape pegs everywhere on the Roadster. Just hoping to be able to bump clearance up any way I can. That and the remote preload adjust available would be nice, as I intend to pick up some easy brackets and a set of pelicans for tour duty (it's unfortunate I really didn't care for the sport glide in my test ride, as it ticks a lot of my boxes. I can't stand forwards, unfortunately. And I'm not in love with it's looks in any way - low rider presents a nicer blank canvas)

I share those hopes for better brakes. Stock is good, but that's as far as I could go. The Fat Bob with it's dual disks is quite impressive

Last edited by Crocodile Tears; 03-02-2019 at 09:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KMC1 (03-06-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 10:00 AM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 861 Likes on 466 Posts

I just bought a Heritage shock off eBay for my Sport Glide. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:02 AM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 861 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
...but you could check belt tension...
Thank you...I didn't think about that.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:30 PM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

So I just installed the heritage shock on my FXLR but haven't taken it out due to too much snow and ice still. I got mine out to the edge of the rear tire and just then would it start to fold the peg up. My boot heel would strike earlier. That along with needing more suspension travel for comfort was my reason for installing a longer shock. I think the 13.1" heritage shock will solve it for me. Now if the darn snow would go.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:40 PM
Crocodile Tears
Novice

Originally Posted by Tozco
So I just installed the heritage shock on my FXLR but haven't taken it out due to too much snow and ice still. I got mine out to the edge of the rear tire and just then would it start to fold the peg up. My boot heel would strike earlier. That along with needing more suspension travel for comfort was my reason for installing a longer shock. I think the 13.1" heritage shock will solve it for me. Now if the darn snow would go.
Did you take any before and after measurements?

Old 03-02-2019, 02:42 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

Does the Heritage shock adjust the same way as the stock FXLR one?
EDIT, I see that shock has an external adjustment, is that easy to install?
Do you have a part number for the Heritage shock?

Last edited by OldMike; 03-02-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:03 PM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

Heritage Mono Shock is p/n 54000138
It added right around 1" to the rear ride height which should quicken the steering a little. The hydraulic operated adjuster for spring preload mounts under the seat. There's is a tab on the frame on top of the shock already there for it. You still have to remove the seat to adjust it but it is really easy to dial in more or less spring compared to the knuckle buster FXLR cam collar and flimsy spanner tool.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tozco:
Cyclrder (04-15-2020), OldMike (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 05:08 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

Heritage Mono Shock is p/n 54000138
It added right around 1" to the rear ride height which should quicken the steering a little. The hydraulic operated adjuster for spring preload mounts under the seat. There's is a tab on the frame on top of the shock already there for it. You still have to remove the seat to adjust it but it is really easy to dial in more or less spring compared to the knuckle buster FXLR cam collar and flimsy spanner tool.
Thank you!

Quick Reply: The Pursuit of Increased Ground Clearance