2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Took out a few Harleys today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 09:04 AM
TDSnowSPR
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry for the double post !!!! Good luck !!!!

Old 03-06-2019, 09:10 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by jcn
I wish it was as easy as choosing between an 'in town' bike and a highway touring bike. Ultimately my decision will be on a bike that favors one or the other but right now my riding is a pretty even mixture of both. I won't commute with it on a daily basis as my job requires that I have 4 wheels every day. On the weekends I either take my bike around town or put it on the highway out to 50 or so miles away (not serious touring for sure).

In terms of around town riding I was very surprised by how easy the Road King maneuvered. It didn't feel like a nearly 900lb motorcycle or really any heavier than the Softail. Then I jumped off and took a look at the Road King and Deluxe side-by-side and thought wow that thing is massive!

Now that HD released the Electra Glide Standard this week my decision was just complicated further. I'd like to wait and see what that bike is all about because the pricing is right and I won't miss the frills of a radio, etc. It may be the perfect choice... just need to check one out in person which may be a while.

This weekend I'm going to test a Street Glide to see if I like the fork mounted fairing (never rode one before) and then either I wait for the Electra Glide Standard or I write up the Deluxe on the spot.

Last comments on the Road King... I just wish there was some effort into updating the dash and instrumentation. The bike really seemed dated after getting off the new Softail bikes.
I don't get this? The Road King has a single, tank mounted gauge. How is that different from the single, tank mounted gauge thats on the Fat Boy, Breakout, Slim, Heritage, Sport Glide and basically every model other then the Low Rider, with its dual gauges, and the Breakout/FXDR/Street Bob with their little digital doo-dads?

Old 03-06-2019, 09:20 AM
polbit
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jcn
I wish it was as easy as choosing between an 'in town' bike and a highway touring bike. Ultimately my decision will be on a bike that favors one or the other but right now my riding is a pretty even mixture of both. I won't commute with it on a daily basis as my job requires that I have 4 wheels every day. On the weekends I either take my bike around town or put it on the highway out to 50 or so miles away (not serious touring for sure).

In terms of around town riding I was very surprised by how easy the Road King maneuvered. It didn't feel like a nearly 900lb motorcycle or really any heavier than the Softail. Then I jumped off and took a look at the Road King and Deluxe side-by-side and thought wow that thing is massive!

Now that HD released the Electra Glide Standard this week my decision was just complicated further. I'd like to wait and see what that bike is all about because the pricing is right and I won't miss the frills of a radio, etc. It may be the perfect choice... just need to check one out in person which may be a while.

This weekend I'm going to test a Street Glide to see if I like the fork mounted fairing (never rode one before) and then either I wait for the Electra Glide Standard or I write up the Deluxe on the spot.

Last comments on the Road King... I just wish there was some effort into updating the dash and instrumentation. The bike really seemed dated after getting off the new Softail bikes.
I would think that for short highway stints and around town, a touring bike is a bit of an overkill. Yes, RK does handle low-speed maneuvering better than expected, it's just the sheer bulk that really limits the fun for me when it comes to hustling it a bit. Heritage with its long rear shock is in many ways better than an RK as a touring bike, I'm just not a fan of the looks.

It would be interesting to hear your opinion on the SG once you test-ride it, I rented one a couple of years ago for two-up with my wife while on vacation, and simply hated it, it really effected steering. I test-rode HC, RKS and SGS when shopping this time around, and the Sport Glide was a no-brainer, although I do wish it came with Heritage shock.

One side note with the RK. When I had mine, finding a shield that works at all speeds, without buffeting, for both 1/2 and FF helmets, was next to impossible. I ended up with a huge see-through shield for longer trips, and no shield for day-to-day. A compromise at best. Totally agree with the dated dash as well, although at least there are aftermarket options. I want a new speedo with tachometer for the Sport Glide, and there is nothing out yet...

Old 03-06-2019, 09:35 AM
polbit
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mchad
I don't get this? The Road King has a single, tank mounted gauge. How is that different from the single, tank mounted gauge thats on the Fat Boy, Breakout, Slim, Heritage, Sport Glide and basically every model other then the Low Rider, with its dual gauges, and the Breakout/FXDR/Street Bob with their little digital doo-dads?
The stock RK Speedo looks very dated, versus something like the Sport Glide.

Road King

Sport Glide

The following users liked this post:
TDSnowSPR (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:40 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by polbit
The stock RK Speedo looks very dated, versus something like the Sport Glide.

Road King

Sport Glide
Cool! Plus it goes to 175mph!

I don't care much about gauge design. I mount a power vision on the handlebars so I get relevant data much closer to my field of view then any mounted gauges. No looking down. But whatever works for you. As you said, great to have choices.

Last edited by Mchad; 03-06-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:43 AM
jcn
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't care much about gauge design. I mount a power vision on the handlebars so I get relevant data much closer to my field of view then any mounted gauges. No looking down. But whatever works for you. As you said, great to have choices.
Agreed!

Old 03-06-2019, 11:27 AM
polbit
Tourer

Ha, didn't realize I attached a Canadian speedo!

No argument on the position, definitely not ideal. I'm talking strictly about style here, for the same reason that I spent stupid money to black parts out, change style of controls, etc.

BTW, I used to run my RK with PV, but it made me too self-conscious about the engine temp running in Texas heat Took it off and stopped worrying about it.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:10 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by polbit
Ha, didn't realize I attached a Canadian speedo!

No argument on the position, definitely not ideal. I'm talking strictly about style here, for the same reason that I spent stupid money to black parts out, change style of controls, etc.

BTW, I used to run my RK with PV, but it made me too self-conscious about the engine temp running in Texas heat Took it off and stopped worrying about it.
Lol that's funny. You're right, that's the one gauge I really don't want too see... The good news is that unlike the softails, Love Jugs fans fit on the RKS. I'm waiting for them to come up with a softail solution.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:47 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,345 Likes on 3,279 Posts

Lol that's funny. You're right, that's the one gauge I really don't want too see... The good news is that unlike the softails, Love Jugs fans fit on the RKS. I'm waiting for them to come up with a softail solution.

damn son! You need to clean that nasty bike...lol

Old 03-11-2019, 09:27 PM
jcn
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

For what it’s worth I bought the Deluxe yesterday!

After a few more test rides it was an easy decision. I think it’s a gorgeous bike and it fits me perfectly.

The following 2 users liked this post by jcn:
Spindrifter (04-10-2019), uklauren (04-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Took out a few Harleys today...