2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Took out a few Harleys today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 09:36 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Lol that's funny. You're right, that's the one gauge I really don't want too see... The good news is that unlike the softails, Love Jugs fans fit on the RKS. I'm waiting for them to come up with a softail solution.

Can't site actual measurements, but from what I've read, the M8 motors run substantially cooler than the last gen of Twin Cams. Might not need those Love Jugs.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:37 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by TDSnowSPR

Sorry for the double post !!!! Good luck !!!!
TDSnowSPR, just want to compliment you on this gorgeous photo. Really nice.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:38 PM
TDSnowSPR
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jcn
For what it’s worth I bought the Deluxe yesterday!

After a few more test rides it was an easy decision. I think it’s a gorgeous bike and it fits me perfectly.
Congratulations and safe travels !!!!

Old 03-11-2019, 09:42 PM
FatBabyBoy
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jcn

After a few more test rides it was an easy decision. I think it’s a gorgeous bike and it fits me perfectly.
Nice to hear! I just put my deposit down today in my Sport Glide. Enjoy your new ride

Old 03-12-2019, 07:20 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,340 Likes on 2,199 Posts

Last year I took out a Breakout 114, Fat Boy 114, Heritage 114 and the Deluxe.

The Breakout - My mid 50s brain wanted it, my mid 50s body didnt.
The Fat Boy - I had a boner the 1st time I sat on her, the ride was 3 miles down and 3 miles back...
The Heritage - Cosmetically It didnt agree with me
The Deluxe - What a great bike - possibly the best all around HD I ever rode

It came down to the Deluxe and the FB114 - My head said Deluxe, my dic* said Fat Boy... Like every guy, I let my dic* make the decision... If the Deluxe had the 114, I would have picked that one. I still want a Deluxe... lol... Great choice!

Old 03-12-2019, 07:57 PM
Parrothead1809
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jcn

SWEET! Congrats! Ride Safe!

-PH

Old 03-13-2019, 06:10 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,508 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ88V
Can't site actual measurements, but from what I've read, the M8 motors run substantially cooler than the last gen of Twin Cams. Might not need those Love Jugs.
Maybe, but I’m not seeing that. Maybe the sensor is in a different location or the data is calculated differently, but from what I am seeing, my PV is reading engine temperatures about 20-30 degrees hotter then what my twin cams used to read. For example, my 2016 103 Road Glide would typically read about 250 deg on winter highway cruising, where the 114 M8 will be in the 270-280 range.

Back in the TC days, you needed to start to worry when the motor broke 300. I’ve already seen 290 while in traffic in 45 deg weather, so add 50 degrees ambient heat in the dead of summer and I’ll be happy to have those fans...

So, again, maybe it’s different, but I’m not seeing it.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:34 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Maybe, but I’m not seeing that. Maybe the sensor is in a different location or the data is calculated differently, but from what I am seeing, my PV is reading engine temperatures about 20-30 degrees hotter then what my twin cams used to read. For example, my 2016 103 Road Glide would typically read about 250 deg on winter highway cruising, where the 114 M8 will be in the 270-280 range.

Back in the TC days, you needed to start to worry when the motor broke 300. I’ve already seen 290 while in traffic in 45 deg weather, so add 50 degrees ambient heat in the dead of summer and I’ll be happy to have those fans...

So, again, maybe it’s different, but I’m not seeing it.
My TC110 runs much hotter than my M8 114 did. I don't need to look at temps, i can feel the extra heat from the TC. My M8 would still cook me if i got stuck in traffic for too long and it took fair bit longer to cool down than my TC does. That being said, i know the 110 runs hotter than the 103, so i'm not discounting your experience.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:53 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 213 Likes on 128 Posts

Yeah the Deluxe looks cool and its good around town and mine has been on the open road to the NC mountains a time or two. Biggest problem is carrying crap. I have the swing arm bag, the Harley two pouch bag; really a waste, and a knock off bag on the out side of the windshield.

But I just bought the Viking large tour pack and Harley detach mounts. Now I can do weekend trips .. get to the destination .. pull of the Viking bag and go back to the sweet (basically) untouched look of the Deluxe.

I did have to make it mine .. risers .. seat .. highway pegs of course .. neighbor haters ... I have the Harley loud horn that I need to put on too.. that meep meep things got to go.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:05 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by jcn

Congratulations on your new mount - ride it in good health and with safety.

My '10 RK is my new Daytona Bike Week/Biketoberfest bar hopping 100 mile road trip machine; it's certainly overkill for that mission profile but I like it and it takes care of business. It replaces my beloved little 883 Iron that I am now sorta/kinda thinking about trading against a Low Rider.

The one bike that could probably do it all would be the RK or the Heritage but the buffeting from the old school style windshield gets old on big roads at big speeds for big miles - the RG spoils me!

Last edited by Jehu; 03-22-2019 at 06:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Took out a few Harleys today...