2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Does your Low Rider rear brake suck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 08:28 AM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts

I don't know why HD can't get something as simple as the angle on the rear brake peddle correct. I test drove a 2019 Low Rider and coultn't get the rear brake peddle to function right without an awkward move to get more pressure on the rear brake. Once I was able to get more pressure on the rear brake, it performed adequately. Fortunately, the angle of the rear brake peddle can be adjusted without too much trouble.

While I prefer mid-controls and and mag wheels, the set up and wheel geometry on the Low Rider has me considering a Softail Slim. Have any of you that have a Low Rider also driven a Slim? If so, how do you think the handling of the two bikes compare?

Old 04-08-2019, 09:01 AM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Of course I use the fronts when actually braking. However there are scenarios where I don’t touch the fronts... I.e. making a U-turn in a parking lot, or other low speed stuff, where the front brake will likely put you on the ground... Ever see those videos of motor officers making crazy low speed maneuvers? That all rear brake and clutch slipping. I’m not saying I’m anywhere that good, but the technique does work. And you need rear brakes to do it...

So I’d like the rear brake to work without requiring 100lbs on the pedal.
All good points. Also reiterate that I haven't ridden a bike the the ABS brakes which may be worse for pressure control than the standard brakes.

I once watched the Arlington, VA, MCPD practicing in the Pentagon parking lot. Really impressive how they handled those bikes.

Originally Posted by Agoober
We have made a shorter brake arm rod to lift the pedal for a more positive pressure to the rear brake. Only ABS bikes come into Australia so no rear brake issues other than as explained.

Peace.
This is actually better than the I outlined in my other post https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...l#post18164737

One thing I noticed is that when you back the clevis away from the MC, it angles the pushrod significantly (because the pushrod is very short and the diameter of the pivot link is fairly small). I might have raised my pedal further except for this.

The ideal would be an adjustable lower brake arm rod with a turnbuckle in the middle. You know, the way Japanese bikes do it (with a rod only about 7 or 8 mm in diameter instead of Harley's 3/4" thick rod! LOL!)

Last edited by AJ88V; 04-08-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:15 PM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

I haven't noticed it on mine, I have a sloped drive as well, maybe not as much as yours as well as using rear brake on slow maneuvers. I try to pay attention more today to see if I am using more pressure on it.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:23 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

My Softail is the same way and is ABS. I just figured it was how it was and I've gotten used to it now. I'm sure it would be more noticable to me if I had another or several bikes to ride but since It's my only ride it is the new normal now.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 04-08-2019 at 02:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bowhunter8607:
Hatata (07-08-2019), Las Vegas Jim (07-14-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 03:03 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
My Softail is the same way and is ABS. I just figured it was how it was and I've gotten used to it now. I'm sure it would be more noticable to me if I had another or several bikes to ride but since It's my only ride it is the new normal now.
I just ordered a pair of EBC Double H sintered pads. May eat the rotor a little faster, but this brake needs help. Should be here Thurs or Fri. I'll let you know.

The following users liked this post:
Birtyyy (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 08:11 PM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 580 Likes on 362 Posts

'18 Non ABS Low Rider and the rear brake is almost like there isn't a rear brake, really sucks. I've got a forward control kit coming tomorrow and I'm hoping the change in angle / leverage of the pedal will help.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:34 PM
Birtyyy
Cruiser
Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ole_phart
'18 Non ABS Low Rider and the rear brake is almost like there isn't a rear brake, really sucks. I've got a forward control kit coming tomorrow and I'm hoping the change in angle / leverage of the pedal will help.
I put aftermarket forwards on mine but I noticed no difference whatsoever.

Las Vegas Jim (07-15-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 06:21 AM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 580 Likes on 362 Posts

Well damn. That's not why I'm putting on forward controls but I was hoping they'd help a little. Oh well, sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:38 AM
Hdbkstl
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
I just ordered a pair of EBC Double H sintered pads. May eat the rotor a little faster, but this brake needs help. Should be here Thurs or Fri. I'll let you know.
Let us know how the ebc pads are. I personally think the front brake is lacking too. For the price we pay, you would think they could go for a radial mount brembos.

aziron (06-14-2020)
Old 04-09-2019, 12:05 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Hdbkstl
Let us know how the ebc pads are. I personally think the front brake is lacking too. For the price we pay, you would think they could go for a radial mount brembos.
Put some better pads in your front. I changed to Lyndall Gold + pads and they made a big improvement. I find the front brake more then adequate now. I would have put the Lyndall in the rear, but they don’t make one yet. So I went with the EBC

Quick Reply: Does your Low Rider rear brake suck?