2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Does your Low Rider rear brake suck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 06:58 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

I put the EBC sintered pads on today while installing my new shock. Anyway, I couldn’t adjust the pedal height without removing the master cylinder bracket. Exhaust was in the way, and I didn’t have time to pull it apart.

Anyway, I wasn’t immediately impressed with the pads. Some slight improvement, but the pads definitely need time to bed, so no way to tell just yet.

Probably the pedal height makes more of the difference I think. I’ll try that soon.

Last edited by Mchad; 04-14-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:43 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

EBC rear pads, rear brake pedal adjusted higher and today installed Lyndall front pads. Brakes feel adequate for my riding style, it's a noticeable change, maybe enough to pass on the large diameter front rotor kit when it is available.

The following users liked this post:
Birtyyy (04-17-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 08:25 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,387 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Yes, but your Dyna Low Rider rear brake is still much better then the Softail LR. At least the ones on my old Low Rider S and the previous Low Rider that I had were...
If this is the case, then the rear brake on the Softie LR isn't.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:30 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by OldMike
EBC rear pads, rear brake pedal adjusted higher and today installed Lyndall front pads. Brakes feel adequate for my riding style, it's a noticeable change, maybe enough to pass on the large diameter front rotor kit when it is available.
Mike, do you get any noise from those EBC brakes? Mine are making a pretty loud groan, only when coming to a stop. Otherwise they’re pretty silent. I tried riding the rear brake a bit to clean off any surface rust/contamination but tbh the bike doesn’t sit long enough for that to be a factor I don’t think.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:46 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Mike, do you get any noise from those EBC brakes? Mine are making a pretty loud groan, only when coming to a stop. Otherwise they’re pretty silent. I tried riding the rear brake a bit to clean off any surface rust/contamination but tbh the bike doesn’t sit long enough for that to be a factor I don’t think.
No, nothing to bring my attention to the brakes. If something develops, I'll report back.

The following users liked this post:
Mchad (04-25-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 06:03 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

I put the EBC sintered pads on today while installing my new shock. Anyway, I couldn’t adjust the pedal height without removing the master cylinder bracket. Exhaust was in the way, and I didn’t have time to pull it apart.

Anyway, I wasn’t immediately impressed with the pads. Some slight improvement, but the pads definitely need time to bed, so no way to tell just yet.

Probably the pedal height makes more of the difference I think. I’ll try that soon.
Wondering if you tried raising your pedal yet.

Rode mine back from the dealer 1000 mile service this afternoon. I can live with the rear brake. Def better with the pedal raised a bit.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:01 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by AJ88V
Wondering if you tried raising your pedal yet.

Rode mine back from the dealer 1000 mile service this afternoon. I can live with the rear brake. Def better with the pedal raised a bit.
No, not yet. But I have the S&S pedal made for use with their 2:1 pipe, so its a bit different then the stock one. At this point the pads made enough of an improvement that I can live with them. Again, only really important for low speed work, and no longer need to stand on it to prevent rolling backwards on my driveway waiting for the door to lift.

That said, they are noisy as hell, when approaching stop. Not sure if I want to live with that. Hopefully they break in some more and quiet some more.

I also hear that Lyndall is releasing their Gold+ pads soon, which have been my go-to's for years. So i'll change to them once they are out.

Last edited by Mchad; 04-25-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:53 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

A follow up to my previous post (#34) about my `16 Road King rear brakes being weak...

I bought some new pads, and when I pulled the saddle bag, I noticed the rotor covered in slime...

The OEM air shock puked oil all over...

Old 05-27-2019, 09:17 AM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
A follow up to my previous post (#34) about my `16 Road King rear brakes being weak...

I bought some new pads, and when I pulled the saddle bag, I noticed the rotor covered in slime...

The OEM air shock puked oil all over...
Doh! is right! But good on you for taking action and finding what the real problem was. This could have turned out very differently. Ride safe!

Old 07-06-2019, 06:02 PM
fdh161
Supporter
Received 193 Likes on 94 Posts

Maybe, but it seems like these are significantly worse then previous ABS rear brakes on my past Dyna’s. My Road King is a billion percent better.

I’m also having a hard time finding aftermarket pads. Lyndall (my usual go-to) doesn’t have rears yet. All I’ve found are “DP” pads which I’ve never heard of, and some unnamed manufacturer Drag Specialty pads.

If anyone has links for other pads, I’d appreciate it.
I put the DP pads on the front of my 19 LR to try to solve the loud groan from the stock pads. In a word, the DP pads SUCK! Good initial grab but fade very quickly. Oh yeah, they groan almost as much as the stock pads.

Anyone know the part number for the Lyndall front pads?

Quick Reply: Does your Low Rider rear brake suck?