2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2019 Lowrider “build” and general shit thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 06:48 PM
the kg
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2019 Lowrider “build” and general **** thread

So here is my new bike, Harley finally made a color that I actually liked enough to justify buying new. Delivered to my front door with 13 miles on the clock and wheeled into the garage because stock is just so unridable. Anyway typical stuff here and there...pipe, bars, seat, tuner and some powder coat because even though I love chrome I think black is going to look better on this bike. Leaving the cam chest alone until I get some miles on the bike in the next couple months. Powder coat place in town is super “backed up” so It’ll be a couple weeks until it’s back together. Only question I have is anyone know if there are extended fork tubes for these 2018 and up forks? I have a set of 2 over from another bike but the tubes are not really the same internally or externally. Anyhow I’ll update as things come in the mail.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:46 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Nice. My next “blackening” is the triple tree and fork sliders. You doing rocker covers as well?

Last edited by Mchad; 04-07-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:56 PM
the kg
6th Gear

Not yet on the rocker covers. I was going to do a cam off the bat since the bike will be down for a couple weeks but decided to just wait it out and see how the motor is stock. I’d rather take **** apart one time instead of multiple times. I might decide after a few thousand miles to add some cubic inches and then a different cam would be needed anyway. I really stressed over a buying a new bike, I hated the 14 streetbob I bought new and nearly gave it away to get rid of it. hoping it will be different than my fxr or my dxt because you cannot ride three bikes at once. I don’t really need it but I wanted something new to mess with.

Years ago I bought a shop press from harbor freight, out the door it was like 180 bucks or something. It’s paid for itself 10 fold on just pressing out steering stems from the bottom tree alone not counting all the other stuff it comes in handy for. I probably should have taken some detailed disassembly photos for folks but had no plans on making a thread as I haven’t been on here since the original “club thug dyna” post was started way way way back when. Anyhow you might as well do the rear struts while you are at it. One of the easier strut assemblies I think there is to remove. Just unpin the brake and turn signal harness from under the seat and remove the two torx bolts on either side of the frame. From there the entire rear fender and struts lift off the bike with ease. There are three more torx bolts on each side of the fender two on the outside and one that fastens from the inside. Nice looking bike. I really think they did a good job on the midnight blue paint. Damn near mistake it for a black bike...but it’s not.

Last edited by the kg; 04-07-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:30 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Yeah, rear struts are so easy on this frame, they are on the list as well. I myself feel pretty stupid as when I had the 114 kit put on it was the perfect opportunity to do the rockers, but I wasn’t convinced I was going black at that point. Now that I am, it’s going to bite me in the *** lol. Oh well.

Good stuff. I’ll be watching.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:59 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Well that didn't take you long, kg, to tear that bike apart. That's about what I did with my 89 Sporty when I bought it off the floor. Still got a bunch of "brand new" old Sportster parts up in the attic.

So how come the mods let your "s***" go through on your title when they bleeped "a***" from a post of mine today? LOL

Mchad, I think you're right - you gotta do those fork lowers. However, if you look at it, with the chrome rear struts, the rocker boxes, and the fork tubes, you've got a real nice chrome accent line going through the bike from front to back. The sliders mess it up, but even the wheels will work with it. I didn't remember the Bung King bar. Is that new?

Agree with both of you that removing the rear fender and struts is blow-me-away easy. Did it this weekend to relocate my rear blinkers and install saddlebags.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:06 PM
the kg
6th Gear

I’m sure they will catch it and well whatever. This bike sucks in stock form. Buck horn bars are terrible, I honestly believe Harley puts bars on from the factory to make people buy new ones and pay they dealer to do the swaps. I knew going into it that I’d have to black the bike out to make it look good and I hate doing it “one piece at a time” I am leaving the wheels alone though, I really like the contrast on them and I’m not paying anyone to remove and replace tires just to powdercoat. When I get the thing back together if it looks bad I’ll wait when I need a new set rubber to get them done. I’m sure the MoCo will put out a lowrider “s” next year with a 114 and a bunch of black parts but it’ll have a price tag to go along with it. My dealer treats me well on pricing and the deal was too good to pass up I guess you could say.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:20 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Yep, the bars are my absolute least favorite part of the Low Rider. Every time I get behind that stock bar, this song goes through my head....

New bar arrives Tuesday.

The following users liked this post:
Foley Fats (05-12-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 10:47 AM
irish44
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by the kg
I’m sure they will catch it and well whatever. This bike sucks in stock form. Buck horn bars are terrible, I honestly believe Harley puts bars on from the factory to make people buy new ones and pay they dealer to do the swaps. I knew going into it that I’d have to black the bike out to make it look good and I hate doing it “one piece at a time” I am leaving the wheels alone though, I really like the contrast on them and I’m not paying anyone to remove and replace tires just to powdercoat.
When I get the thing back together if it looks bad I’ll wait when I need a new set rubber to get them done. I’m sure the MoCo will put out a lowrider “s” next year with a 114 and a bunch of black parts but it’ll have a price tag to go along with it. My dealer treats me well on pricing and the deal was too good to pass up I guess you could say.
I'm in the process of blacking out my bike too. I went with the drag bar off of the 17 S. I'll finish everything on the first of next month including a new cam and forwards. I'm a little too cramped with the mids.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:32 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

I'm adding chrome, I can't even look at this thread.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:36 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by the kg
I’m sure they will catch it and well whatever. This bike sucks in stock form. Buck horn bars are terrible, I honestly believe Harley puts bars on from the factory to make people buy new ones and pay they dealer to do the swaps. I knew going into it that I’d have to black the bike out to make it look good and I hate doing it “one piece at a time” I am leaving the wheels alone though, I really like the contrast on them and I’m not paying anyone to remove and replace tires just to powdercoat. When I get the thing back together if it looks bad I’ll wait when I need a new set rubber to get them done. I’m sure the MoCo will put out a lowrider “s” next year with a 114 and a bunch of black parts but it’ll have a price tag to go along with it. My dealer treats me well on pricing and the deal was too good to pass up I guess you could say.
Don’t do that to me...

Quick Reply: 2019 Lowrider “build” and general shit thread